DIY Dodd Buffer

mboxler

Re: DIY Dodd Buffer
« Reply #1240 on: 13 Feb 2020, 10:56 pm »
Respectfully bumping a very old thread.

I was going through a cabinet and came across a pair of GE 6BZ7 tubes that I had bought for my Schiit Lyr.  Since Gary stated that any tube with the same pinouts as the 6922 could be used in his buffer, I threw one in and fired it up.

Wow!  I can't believe the detail!  Listening to Ronnie Earl now... :thumb:

According to the datasheet, this tube is designed primarily for use as a cascode radio-frequency amplifier in very-high-frequency television tuners  :o.  Should I even be using this tube in my Dodd buffer?  I'm assuming that if this $5 tube sounds this good it's okay to use.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Plund

« Reply #1241 on: 15 Feb 2020, 05:31 am »
Mike,
I very recently assembled my Dodd buffer kit... really like it with the EH 6H30!  What other tubes have you tried? 

Pete

mboxler

« Reply #1242 on: 15 Feb 2020, 04:11 pm »
Mike,
I very recently assembled my Dodd buffer kit... really like it with the EH 6H30!  What other tubes have you tried? 

Pete

Hey Pete

I like the EH 6H30 as well.  The only other tube until now was the JJ E88CC Gold Pin.  I like the 6H30 more.

While going through my stash, I found a 12AX7.  I flipped the switch from 6 to 12 volts and gave it a try.  I got a loud scratchy sound when turning the volume control, took it out without really listening to it.  Not sure if I have a bad tube or a problem with the buffer.

I think I have a 6N1P in my stash as well, so will give that a shot.  The 6BZ7 surprised me!  I've been told that it is a part of the 6DJ8 family, so I can use it without any concern. 

Mike

Plund

« Reply #1243 on: 15 Feb 2020, 05:24 pm »
Mike,
I just happen to be starting a "Flea-amp" build and am ordering some tubes this week... I will follow your lead on the 6BZ7 and add it to my list.   

I have only tried one other tube in my Dodd buffer, the 6H6N that Gary included with the kit.  Your experience with your 12AX7 sounds similar to my experience with my 6H6N... I couldn't turn the buffer off soon enough... sounded terrible!  Mr Dodd's buffer with the EH 6H30 sounds wonderful.  My "critical-eared" daughter, after listening to the buffer for just a few minutes said "Wow, this reveals another layer of detail in the music"!

Kurt 12

« Reply #1244 on: 16 Mar 2020, 11:16 pm »
For years I have been hearing how great the DIY Dodd Buffer is and was wondering if some one else has bought the rights to this design and is making new ones.  I never see these buffer preamps in the used market.  Is there a current equivalent product out there for sale?  Let me know. Thanks.

cujobob

« Reply #1245 on: 25 Mar 2020, 08:52 pm »
For years I have been hearing how great the DIY Dodd Buffer is and was wondering if some one else has bought the rights to this design and is making new ones.  I never see these buffer preamps in the used market.  Is there a current equivalent product out there for sale?  Let me know. Thanks.

Danny Richie makes it sound like this could happen through GR Research.