Super 7 Flat Packs.....

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Super 7 Flat Packs.....
« Reply #100 on: 28 Nov 2018, 04:26 pm »
Badass!  Those look just like my babies :)  Nice work. 

Do you already own Super 7s?  If not, will you get a chance to hear them?  IME, once people hear the Super 7 it pretty much spoils you forever :P 

Captainhemo

« Reply #101 on: 28 Nov 2018, 06:01 pm »
Badass!  Those look just like my babies :)  Nice work. 

Do you already own Super 7s?  If not, will you get a chance to hear them?  IME, once people hear the Super 7 it pretty much spoils you forever :P

No,  I have the  original pair of NX-Otica's that I'm  extremely fond of.  And no,  I have not  heard the  Super 7's  .... yet .
I think the  two speakers  will be   very similar in some regards although each will have it's advantages,  Danny has commented on this publically a couple of times.    One huge  advantage of the  Super 7's  to me is the  single foot print as compared to the Otica's  and a  pair of  dual/triple subs.
Might have to   let the Otica's go to help build out a pair of these  and give them a shjot :(

jay

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #102 on: 28 Nov 2018, 06:40 pm »
One other cool thing about the Super 7s you can do that I've not really heard on many other large speakers - nearfield listening.  I've now got mine set up about 6 feet from my listening position, and the mid/tweeter integration is so good, so seamless, that it still perfectly integrates, even at that close range.

The result?  From a clarity/transparency standpoint, it's almost like wearing reference level headphones.  If the headphones had a massive room filling soundstage, along with crushing bass that punched you in the chest!

Captainhemo

« Reply #103 on: 28 Nov 2018, 07:35 pm »
Here is the monitor version  with a  base that is located between the  wings via a couple of dowels in each wing. Left it  simple so folks who don't  want  something  more abstract aren't left out.... if people want tsomething more, they can easily modify  the included bases to  something  that  suits them.

Here a couple   with  the front  grill frame/cloth in place

From front of wing to  rear of  base is just shy of 14"  ( depth of a  dual sub cab with no overhang).
Hang  on for pricing,   I'll  notify when I can

jay

SteveKi

« Reply #104 on: 18 Dec 2018, 03:44 pm »
Here is the monitor version ...

Is this version going to be available before the huge January price increases?
Steve

gab

« Reply #105 on: 18 Dec 2018, 04:30 pm »
Is this version going to be available before the huge January price increases?
Steve

Any increases in tariffs to 25% is in limbo for the next 80 days or so.

SteveKi

« Reply #106 on: 10 Jan 2019, 04:24 pm »
Here is the monitor version  with a  base that is located between the  wings via a couple of dowels in each wing. Left it  simple so folks who don't  want  something  more abstract aren't left out.... if people want tsomething more, they can easily modify  the included bases to  something  that  suits them.

Here a couple   with  the front  grill frame/cloth in place

From front of wing to  rear of  base is just shy of 14"  ( depth of a  dual sub cab with no overhang).
Hang  on for pricing,   I'll  notify when I can
jay

Jay,
Can we get an update? Are they still in line waiting for CNC.
Steve

Captainhemo

« Reply #107 on: 10 Jan 2019, 04:57 pm »
Yes,   I have the  material to  do the  first run.
I've  been pretty busy sending out other stuff and getting   the first pair of Super 7's   done., been making  a couple  minor alterations   to the  way they go together to  make it easier for   folks.  Will get on these for you  guys.
Will try and get the  cutting  going

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #108 on: 16 Jan 2019, 04:51 am »
Jay,
Can we get an update? Are they still in line waiting for CNC.
Steve

Almost there   folks.  Will soon have  4  pairs in stock with the initial  cuts, just waiting on a sheet of baffles now.
Here's a few pics  with one of  our baffles from the  full Super 7, the  kit's  will all come  with grill frames as well (have them here now but didn't think to include in pics).   Grills and baffles  are  pre-drilled for  3/8x3/8 Nd  cylinder magnets.
Wings will be  rounded over on  outer and inner edge for the  kists. 
Super simple for glue up,  3 dowels for baffle,  2 dowels on each side of base.  Baffles will be mirrored for  each  kit  to keep wiring symetritcal.
LOL, I didn't  even have  a pair of  dual hframes on hand to plop this on top of for pics but they will  fit   nicely

Captainhemo

« Reply #109 on: 21 Jan 2019, 10:44 pm »
Here's one with the round overs and a  grill frame.

Here's how easy they go together...

Add  dowels to one wing

If this were being  final assembled,  add glue to  the one edge of bafle, one side edge of base, front edge of base and   install on dowels

Add glue and dowels to opposite side of  baffle and base then install  2nd wing:

Stand up and clamp.   
With roundovers

jay

RoadTripper

« Reply #110 on: 22 Jan 2019, 12:20 am »
Since I have these on order I'm pretty excited to see this. Question: if I didn't want to commit to a glue up, would these baffles be viable just doweled together? That way I can use 'em before I decide (or not) to finish them.

Captainhemo

« Reply #111 on: 22 Jan 2019, 12:34 am »
Shooting  you  a  PM 
As for the   "test" run,  it would   work ok with these but not the full versions  that  have the  subs  builit in.

jay

titaniumheads

« Reply #112 on: 22 Jan 2019, 05:32 pm »
So what is the best way to order the Super 7 kit complete? Do I just call Danny at GR research and work out the details? Will it be up on the GR Research website soon? Tyson just convinced me I may be able to crawl out of the rabbit hole with these.
Thanks
Greg

Captainhemo

« Reply #113 on: 22 Jan 2019, 05:39 pm »
You can order it all through Danny if you  wish,  you  can   PM me or  email me at captainhemo at  shaw.ca  if you have  questions about  the cabinets etc

jay

titaniumheads

« Reply #114 on: 22 Jan 2019, 08:25 pm »
Thank you. just placed the order with Danny.

grimace

« Reply #115 on: 22 Jan 2019, 10:59 pm »
No,  I have the  original pair of NX-Otica's that I'm  extremely fond of.  And no,  I have not  heard the  Super 7's  .... yet .
I think the  two speakers  will be   very similar in some regards although each will have it's advantages,  Danny has commented on this publically a couple of times.    One huge  advantage of the  Super 7's  to me is the  single foot print as compared to the Otica's  and a  pair of  dual/triple subs.
Might have to   let the Otica's go to help build out a pair of these  and give them a shjot :(

jay

I was wondering the same.  Anyone willing to point out where they have been compared? 

And the flat packs look amazing - great job!

2bigears

« Reply #116 on: 23 Jan 2019, 12:50 am »
 :D being way to lazy to read ,, what are the full kits $$ ,,,, parts and wood ?    :D

Danny Richie

« Reply #117 on: 23 Jan 2019, 01:16 am »
:D being way to lazy to read ,, what are the full kits $$ ,,,, parts and wood ?    :D

$4,400 for the complete kit and $1,600 for the flat pack.

Captainhemo

« Reply #118 on: 23 Jan 2019, 04:00 am »
And just to clarify,  that price   is obviously for the full  Super 7 kits/flat packs.   the  monitors  are    less. Trying to come in at  $525 for the monitor flat pack.

Baffles were being cut today, should have stock onthese (monitors) by weeks end if all goes well.
full kits  can be ordered now but a  bit of lead time  is needed  before delivery

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #119 on: 2 Feb 2019, 11:58 pm »
first run of monitors is ready to go, will hopefully  get  3  pairs packed and shipped this week.  Only  one set  left  from original run.  can cut more if there is  interest.
Here's a pic   of a couple sitting  on  pair of  our  dula-h-frames

first  few pairs of full super7's are  in the  que

jay