AXPONA 2019 -- Potentially Record Breaking 🍒 Surround System

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
A local chain movie theater just upgraded to a Dolby Atmos dedicated viewing room. I saw Shazam there last week.

Honestly, I thought it was horrible.
I've got to say if that's how you felt, it wasn't done very well.  I heard a local guys full Atmos system when I lived in my previous state and nearly shit myself as I wasn't expecting what I heard.  Since I went there to hear his JBL 4367's and wasn't blown away by them I wasn't expecting much until he turned on the full HT.   :o   Needless to say I was shocked and it's still the best theater I've ever heard.  A proper theater setup like he had blows away any other 5.4 or 7.4 system out there I'm sure. 

Jeff Permanian

• Industry Participant
This example demonstrated will likely sound great, but it comes at a significant price. I am sure this system could also do well with 2-channel. However, everything is being pumped through 3000 dollar mains. If you are a speakers first thinker, there is great room for improvement.

I would put Noesis 212RT next to any speaker at any cost. The Noesis 212RT acts as a point source with a concentric and time aligned mid and high frequency coaxial loaded on the horn. They have extreme low distortion (0.30% at 100db THD). The 35hz lowend spec is free air and in room they easily go to 25hz.

My 1971 Dynaco amp manual comntained a statement I'll paraphrase thusly: Listening position is more critical with mutiple speakers/channels.

True then, true now, and gets truer the more speakers/channels you add.

While multichannel can improve spacial realism- for the one listener in the exact right spot- that effect falls apart fast as you get even a little distant from the 'sweet spot'. My old Allison speaks threw a stereo image that held up pretty well anywhere in the room.

I guess I wouldn't want to devote an entire room and a pile of money to a system I can only experience fully by myself. I have headphones for that listening at probably <1% of the cost. BTW, good true binaural through 'phones surpasses any multichannel speaker setup I've heard. Problem is, true binaural recordings are very rare. For music, I'd rather divide my speaker budget by 2 than by 7 and choose better speakers and a layout that allows some social listening. As with all things audio, you pays your money and you makes your choice. Clearly for a vendor, selling you 5-7 channels of amplification and speakers (rather thahn two) is better for them- but is it better for you.

The whole reason to go with modern multi-channel is to give everyone on the room a great listening experience. With 2 channel you need to be centered between the speakers to have a good center image however with modern multi-channel you have a center channel speaker that produces all the content that should be centered in the sound stage so everyone in the room hears the centered content directly for the center of the sound stage.  We're going to be demo'ing the latest sound format called Atmos which is a 3d sound format:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/brands/dolby-atmos.html

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
I would put Noesis 212RT next to any speaker at any cost. The Noesis 212RT acts as a point source with a concentric and time aligned mid and high frequency coaxial loaded on the horn. They have extreme low distortion (0.30% at 100db THD). The 35hz lowend spec is free air and in room they easily go to 25hz.

The whole reason to go with modern multi-channel is to give everyone on the room a great listening experience. With 2 channel you need to be centered between the speakers to have a good center image however with modern multi-channel you have a center channel speaker that produces all the content that should be centered in the sound stage so everyone in the room hears the centered content directly for the center of the sound stage.  We're going to be demo'ing the latest sound format called Atmos which is a 3d sound format:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/brands/dolby-atmos.html
As I mentioned before, the lowest THD I’ve measured from any speaker to date was JTR!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical

witchdoctor

First there were subs  :D

Do I see 8 subs up front? "Let's get ready to rumble!"

OzarkTom

:o

Make sure you wear your ear plugs.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
First there were subs  :D

Do I see 8 subs up front? "Let's get ready to rumble!"
Yes, 8 (:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
:o

Make sure you wear your ear plugs.
Will do.  Thanks for reminding me.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical

witchdoctor

It is interesting that JTR also has a pro line. The only other setup I have seen with that many subs was in Abbey Road studios when they were remastering Pink Floyd in immersive audio. Thanks for the pics! Keep them coming :D

G.Michael

The whole reason to go with modern multi-channel is to give everyone on the room a great listening experience.

Jeff: Good point than I tend to ignore.  My listening/HT room is stereo with dual subwoofers.  There's plenty of sound there, and a few acoustical treatments, but there's only one sweet spot.  Sounds good--but not as good when more than one of us are watching a movie. 

Those are some bad-boy speakers you have there on your website!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
The show is going VERY well !!

Room is crowded ftequestly....

witchdoctor

Any updates from the show?

RonN5

Tommy.....any updates on the show and the feedback?  how did the 2 channel demos go?

witchdoctor

Please post any videos too  :D

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Please post any videos too  :D
AC won't let me post videos....

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
The second worst April blizzard in Chicago history was on Sunday, the last day of the show....

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Outside our room at AXPONA 2019....

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
The $480k Magico based system outside our room (including snake oil speaker cables)....