Back to the Future Pilot

umami

Back to the Future Pilot
« on: 28 Jul 2022, 02:25 am »
This is message primarily for James, but maybe other folks can weigh in.

I have a pair of 3BSTs in which I've managed to damage the left channels--yes, both of them on the same dark day. Stupid, avoidable user error. Since I'm looking at having them serviced anyway, I'm now considering the BTTF program. (While you're in there, might as well tighten things up, y'know?)

Wondering if James or someone else can provide a recommendation on which of the upgrade service options would be advisable. Prior to the aforementioned damage, everything seemed to be in good working order. The bal/unbal switches were a little scratchy, but I never really touched them until I started troubleshooting. I have nothing else to compare the sound to, so while they sound(ed) fantastic to my ears, I assume improvements could be made. Additionally, I'm wondering if any of these upgrades are actually worth the cost, given that nothing seems to be wrong (other than the obvious damage, but that is a separate service issue) with the units? It's not a trivial amount of money in any case, and while resale value isn't that important (no plans to sell these...ever), I'm a bit in the dark as to what I'm paying for in terms of appreciable results.

Thanks in advance for answering what I hope isn't a bunch of stupid questions.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Back to the Future Pilot
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2022, 11:02 am »
Hi Umami

Assuming they are over 20 years old I would go with Option 1 - it is a complete go over of the amplifier and replacement of all worn or defective parts. If we find other issues of concern then we would call and you can decide if you want to act on them or not.

best
james