Pull speaker fuse with amp on?

BikeFi10

« on: 8 Feb 2023, 04:56 pm »
I want to change fuses in my Magnepan 1.7is. Power off  everything but Odyssey amp. They are suppose to be kept on 24/7 or endure hours if not days to warm up.
Would this damage speaker or possibly amp? I posted this at Odyssey Circle too. I know best practice is to power down everything for cable change, but thats between 2 energized components.
Thanks.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Pull speaker fuse with amp on?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2023, 05:51 pm »
Power everything down.  Be safe.  The difference in the sound of an amp that has been on for 5 minutes vs 5 days is subtle. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2023, 07:27 pm »
  Turn Amps off. No big deal if off for little time. Safe is better.

charles

BikeFi10

« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2023, 02:33 pm »
Advice well taken. I was too hung up on amp cool down. Over thinking it.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2023, 11:33 am »
I don't know  if you saw it but someone asked what preamp you had and I don't believe you ever said.
That's really the heart of the system.
So, which preamp are you using?

BikeFi10

« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2023, 08:10 pm »
Steve Ford, no I dont see any request for my pre amp make. Not sure what it has to do with this topic as powering down the amp was the question. I dont mind providing make for what its worth, its a 1980 recapped Carver C4000. I know there are much better, but I really like its many functions and I/Os. I find the attenuators very useful to adjust for the big differences in recordings. I have the matching Carver M400 cube amp too. Loved the leds jumping to the beat, but the Odyssey took its place.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2023, 09:52 pm »
I think the preamp question was asked in another thread.
It's been a while but I know I had a champagne colored C4000, I may even have had a black one.
You'll get a much greater upgrade in sound with a preamp change than you will with fuses, that's why we were asking.

Kind of off topic but the Sunfire tube preamp really wasn't that much of an upgrade over the C4000.
The old Barcus Berry Sonic Maximizer really works well with the Carver preamps, if you haven't tried one they're only around $100.

jjss49

« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2023, 10:29 pm »

seriously???

BikeFi10

« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2023, 04:43 pm »
SteveFord, I agree, but the cost of a pre amp upgrade to make a significant difference is substantially greater than fuse upgrade. Actually, I just wanted to experiment with a solid link. I know, I know its risky. Thought Id be safer with the Odyssey amp.
Side note, wifes been out of town so I went wild with poor mans room treatments. Blankets, pillows, towells, lol.
I do believe overall sound is better. Even old fair recordings of Stones, ELP, Zepplin, but they dont even come close to my MoFi, Analog Production pressings. Im pretty sure my kismet in khartago is maturing well.

Jjss49, the idea was not to have any signal sourcing. Figured the amp would just be idling not outputting. but its a mute point. I wont do it. Guess I deserve this emoji  :duh:

twitch54

« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2023, 05:46 pm »
I want to change fuses in my Magnepan 1.7is. Power of  everything but Odyssey amp. They are suppose to be kept on 24/7 or endure hours if not days to warm up.

????? what pray tell takes days to 'warm up' ?????

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #10 on: 14 Feb 2023, 07:00 pm »
  I do not get the purpose of the fuse other than possible surge. I have tried solid copper wire 4ga instead of fuse. Sounds much better as the tiny  fusible link throttles the AC coming in. Even tried larger value fuses . 5 years no issues.  They sound better as well.

charles

BikeFi10

« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2023, 08:36 pm »
Twitch54, Odyssey amps have a need to stay powered up 24/7 with long warm up times if powered down, according to many owners. Cant say from experience just from what has been posted, but my amp has improved in detail/clearity & maybe depth since powered on about 2 months. That is from new though.
Rollo, yes there is the fuse bypass camp as well as those whose fuse saved them from whatever mistake they may have made.