What STREAMER Do You Use (with Cherry DAC DAC and/or Cherry USB) ????

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
We have some customers using BlueSound Node 2, but looking for other options, especially with reasonable price points.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
We have some customers using BlueSound Node 2, but looking for other options, especially with reasonable price points.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.
We use a tablet PC on one system as a "streamer", a Squeezebox Touch (wish they still made these!) on another system, a Touchscreen Raspberry Pi running PiCorePlayer on another, and a "blind" Raspberry Pi for a fourth system (not currently hooked up)....

Usually when asked how I would set up a new digital audio system, I suggest a notebook or laptop PC (or Mac).  This provides the best future-proofing, but sometimes can lead to other issues, like the size of the screen, etc.  For remote control, I prefer to use devices that can be controlled from a cell phone on WiFi.

One more tidbit....  I also recommend WiFi as opposed to wired, and preferably on a dedicated WAP for the audio system.  Plus, a NAS if you're getting fancy!

So, let's hear what you use, or maybe what you plan to use, to deliver the digital audio to your system.  Thanks again!

Wind Chaser

I don’t have a DAC DAC yet, but that could change in the near future. :D

Anyhow I have an Auralic Aries Mini which is normally plugged into my AWOL DAC. As an entry level streamer the Mini works very well. I don’t subscribe to a service as of yet (still waiting for Qobuz or Deezer to come to Canada) so I’m just streaming some excellent European radio stations for now.

A_shah

I acquired a Bluesound Node 2i a couple of days ago, but I was normally using a Nvidia Shield for both 4k & audio Streaming using a Ipad and a i phone , have been using Tidal for a long time plus six month ago added Quboz , did not care for Spotify, Have been thinking of modifying my old mac mini that has a disk drive  into a media server I believe their are companies that do modify mac mini for that purpose   Any recommendations ?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
I acquired a Bluesound Node 2i a couple of days ago, but I was normally using a Nvidia Shield for both 4k & audio Streaming using a Ipad and a i phone , have been using Tidal for a long time plus six month ago added Quboz , did not care for Spotify, Have been thinking of modifying my old mac mini that has a disk drive  into a media server I believe their are companies that do modify mac mini for that purpose   Any recommendations ?
Just install JRiver and you should be good-to-go....

There's probably no need to change the hardware.  What do these companies that modify mini-Macs do?  Add memory?  Add a RAID?  Update the OS?