VMPS RM V60 question and Build

shauk786

Re: VMPS RM V60 question and Build
« Reply #80 on: 17 Jun 2020, 12:22 am »
I have put my RM40s for sale.

Refer to:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=170877.0

However, I have been thinking:

This would be a deal of a lifetime for a VMPSer who would like to upgrade to the RM-V60. I have an extra set of RMv60 cabinets in Macassar Ebony (Brand New, not opened) in their crates. The only issue is the availability of neopanels. I am willing to sell the Neos in my RM40s (8 of them) together with the V60 cabinets for $2250.00. So someone who has extra neos, or rm30 or rm40 would be able to get the 12 neos needed and upgrade to a brand new V60. The 6 woofers, I believe can be sourced as special order from Misco. I have a feeling that once you factor other expenses such as shipping cost, the woofers, etc, the total would be about or less than $4500.00 (Anyway food for thought - If anyone interested and want to talk about it, let me know.

Regards,
Shaukat

G E

« Reply #81 on: 17 Jun 2020, 12:56 am »
I wondered what you were going to do with the extra pair.

Your RM40’s are beautiful. You shouldn’t cannibalize them even for RM60.

PM sent with question

shauk786

« Reply #82 on: 18 Jun 2020, 06:13 pm »
I have modified my ad on audiocircle for my RM40s with the addition of one of my VMPS Larger Sub at no extra cost.

Regards,
Shaukat

shauk786

« Reply #83 on: 18 Jun 2020, 08:11 pm »
I have started to disassemble the home theater room yesterday as our painter guy is starting work tomorrow.

Here is a picture but it does show how majestic the V60s are.

shauk786

« Reply #84 on: 23 Jun 2020, 02:03 am »
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2020, 12:48 pm by shauk786 »

GeorgeAb

« Reply #85 on: 8 Jul 2020, 05:52 am »
I had some questions to V60 owners concerning the acoustic foam dampening material on the back of the wings.  From a 2007 post from Brian, “The V 60 is an open-back, damped  reverse horn which I set for about 50% dipole operation, i.e. 10" deep foam damper flush with the back edge of the wings.”

Based on this information I assume the foam is 5” wide on each side of the wing and it looks like ¾” or 1” thick and I’m guessing 60 pores per inch (ppi) foam based on Ken’s pic at post 12.  Can someone confirm thickness? Also is it glued or Velcro tape to affix to wing, so it can be removed?  Any insight would be appreciated. 

shauk786

« Reply #86 on: 8 Jul 2020, 06:26 am »
George,

Sonic barrier from Parts express: thickness 1 inch. width 4 inches and runs down from top panel to bottom panel velcro'ed on each wing. Also if you want a damper to fine tune in your room, you can create one using some acoustic foam in a semi circle shape and placed between the sonic barrier on each wing. In my case I use some velcro for both to secure them in place.

Shaukat

Housteau

« Reply #87 on: 8 Jul 2020, 06:29 am »
I no longer have mine.  My V-60's are used as a full dipole.  However, from what I remember this foam was wedge shaped at 10 inches thick.  It would fit pushed up against the backs of those foams you saw the pictures of, or pulled back to be flush with the backs of the wings.  When pulled back it had gaps on the sides.  They were free standing on the tops of the V-60 base.

ZAKski288

« Reply #88 on: 8 Jul 2020, 02:08 pm »
George,  I have some pictures of the wedge somewhere. Ken
« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2020, 04:30 pm by ZAKski288 »

OldScott

« Reply #89 on: 8 Jul 2020, 06:09 pm »

OldScott

« Reply #90 on: 8 Jul 2020, 06:22 pm »
Here are more pictures of mine

OldScott

« Reply #91 on: 8 Jul 2020, 07:10 pm »
George. from my pictures in the two posts above you can see these are wedge "W" shaped units of foam. I do not know what type foam was used. Perhaps John Casler or even Jim Romayn  may have some idea. The two sections are 30 inches tall with a hard board reinforcement section  between. The wide, or back section is 9 3/8 inches, the length running to the tip the "W" is 8 1/2 inches. The ^ shaped indentation is 4 1/4 inches.

This speaker is an enigma being part reverse horn, part line array, part dipole, and part who knows what. Legend has it that it was conceived over dinner at CES/T.H.E.Show one evening by Brian and James Bongormio (sp) on a paper napkin. Knowing James's knack for innovation. I would wager that the basic concept was mostly his and that the final design completion  was Brains.       

OldScott

« Reply #92 on: 8 Jul 2020, 07:47 pm »
The more I think on it the more I feel that the hardwood section was on the bottom.

Paul

shauk786

« Reply #93 on: 8 Jul 2020, 08:10 pm »
Paul,

That is a very beautiful setup. Once in Turkey, i will need to incorporate some of that aesthetic display.

Awesome.

GeorgeAb

« Reply #94 on: 9 Jul 2020, 02:14 am »
I am so glad I asked the question as Paul provided a picture of his system. Since I am far from a poet, I will just say “wow”. Concur an interesting speaker design for sure.

Thanks for the responses, I have my answer. 

Lots of progress on the V60. On bases, used a Dremel with router bit to remove the necessary material for the binding posts, difficult due to lack of clearance. Built up the Analysis plus wires, cut and painted the crossover and base binding post back plates. All fingers intact, the Dremel did eat my shirt sleeve :). Most of the supplies arrived today. Binding posts are back-ordered, but I have my hands full. 

John Casler

« Reply #95 on: 9 Jul 2020, 06:26 pm »
The more I think on it the more I feel that the hardwood section was on the bottom.

Paul

That sounds about right.  Not sure where Brian sourced that foam, but the initial foam was full length and not in two sections.  I think he glued them together.

The wood base on Paul's, was due to the instability of the column.  Also the prototype actually had a long pin/wire attached at the top to push into the foam and hold it in place.  At the first show, we found it was needed to keep the column from falling back.

As Shaukat mentioned Brian also placed blackhole five at various places in the inside of the height of the horn, so that when you pushed it all the way in for MONO operation the column compressed into the BH5 to hold it.

At the shows in the smaller rooms, we went Monopole.  When we used it in the large rooms we went full Dipole.

However the FUNCTION of the Horn and the DAMPING Column were (as far as I know) unique, and basically an innovation specific to Brian's unusual designs.

The whole idea was to have the ability to have either a MONOPOLE and a DIPOLE and depending on how much you opened the side openings of the column, everything in between.  This was accomplished by moving the damping column forwards or backwards allowing varying degrees/levels of the back wave to the front wall. (behind the speaker)

While this was not likely discussed enough, or explained as well as it should have been (my fault for not posting extensively) it is a phenomenal design feature adding INCREDIBLE flexibility to the speaker in all applications and rooms.

While few realized the GENIUS that was Brian Cheney, he employed several adjustable means in his designs.

Such as:

1) adjustable L-pads to allow tailoring the balance between drivers
2) putty adjustments to tune the bass drivers with the passive radiators
3) and in the RM v60 the adjust ability between Monopole to Dipole

GeorgeAb

« Reply #96 on: 19 Jul 2020, 11:53 pm »
Just to verify I am on the right track from V60 owners, there is 1” thick foam 4” wide that comes to the inner edge of the inner V the length of the neos, like this?

Should have last of parts this week as binding posts and banana plugs were back-ordered.  Everything else is done. 

ZAKski288

« Reply #97 on: 20 Jul 2020, 01:13 am »
The foam even went behind the tweeter.

John Casler

« Reply #98 on: 20 Jul 2020, 01:21 am »

This photo shows the skewer pin I mentioned earlier at the top, that allowed you to skewer the tall foam column to be more stable.

GeorgeAb

« Reply #99 on: 20 Jul 2020, 04:49 pm »

Perfect, exactly what I wanted to see. From the picture I can see the distance between foam, a tad narrower then what I have. Probably over thinking this, but good to have a baseline.