What are your speaker cables?

mikeeastman

Re: What are your speaker cables?
« Reply #20 on: 25 May 2020, 02:51 pm »
My cables are a combination of Neotech gold/silver and Neotech silver wire with bare ends in a cotton sleeve. They are incredibly clean and detailed.

mrotino332

« Reply #21 on: 26 May 2020, 02:22 pm »
I'm using the Ven Haus Audio CHeLA cables bare wire connection.  They are made of 48 individually insulated copper conductors in a counter helical litz array.

paolocaminiti

« Reply #22 on: 9 Jun 2020, 02:14 pm »
I'm using DNM speaker cables and interconnects. They are solid core designs, alike but even more budget friendly then anticables. I tried their xlr first and much preferred them to anticables 3.1 xlr, just much more muscial and full bodied in my setup. So I went on with their speaker cables.

This is my first speaker cable upgrade as I get more and more sold on the whole cable and fuses thing: compared to a pair of bluejeans speaker cables I had before they have somewhat of a harder sound, and perhaps are a bit lighter on the extreme bottom end, but definitely more detailed and refined - so they stayed. DNM also offer and upgrad to the cables with a circuit in parallel to stabilize impedeance and help with negative feedback aberrations (my understanding) but didn't try them out yet.

diyman

« Reply #23 on: 9 Jun 2020, 11:16 pm »
You might want to watch this video before getting too excited about solid core speaker cables.

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/speaker-cable-length-differences-do-they-matter

paolocaminiti

« Reply #24 on: 10 Jun 2020, 02:11 pm »
Thanks, did you had bad experience with solid core?

I went with the dnm out of the good experience with their xlr. The bluejeans is a 10awg. I may compare them again, but the dnm certainly sounded more refined and revealing. They are also cheap enough to try.

But then I'm not sure I'm totally satisfied and something in the easiness of the bluejeans is lost with the dnm, so it's on my list of things to try to beat soon.

What would you recommend as a step up from the bluejeans? It's really hard to make a choice, most companies out there have just to many models to pick one. Good thing about bluejans anticables and dnm is their choice is very limited and makes sense.

PS. For the xlr the dnm clearly wins against the others I have: anticables 3.1, a pair of silver blue van damme cables from nordacoustics and regular dj shop xlr cables (they best they could sell me).

morganc

« Reply #25 on: 10 Jun 2020, 02:37 pm »
There's always a divide between the engineers who want to measure everything and I get that, but what they miss is that everything can't be measured, and the Golden Ears who prefer to judge for themselves what they like or don't like.  It's an age old debate on this and other forums.  Though I don't have golden ears, I've learned to find those that do, and I listen to where they point me and I try their suggestions and if it sounds great I go for it and if not I sell the item. 

At the moment I have the WE Cable from EBay and like it and am also going to demo some Audio Envy SC's as well as I have heard they have great synergy with the Spatials and the 2-Cherry that I'm using as an amp. 

diyman

« Reply #26 on: 10 Jun 2020, 07:00 pm »
I can't speak directly from any experience with solid core.  I was just pointing out a video by some true experts who discuss the facts about signal currents moving through speaker cables.

What you learn from it is that for mid to high frequencies solid core attenuates the signal much more than stranded wire.  At low frequencies there really is no difference, since the current stays pretty much centered and doesn't move out towards the skin.  But the cable resistance is much higher for mid to treble signals than for bass in solid core compared to stranded due to the difference in skin effect.

So even though you may think that the solid core cable is giving you more bass, that's just an illusion.  What is really happening is that the mid to high range is being attenuated in proportion to the signal frequency. It may sound like more bass, but it's not.  It's less upper end instead, so it appears relatively that there is more bass.  You're actually losing some of the high end.

Don_S

« Reply #27 on: 10 Jun 2020, 07:24 pm »
I can't speak directly from any experience with solid core.  I was just pointing out a video by some true experts who discuss the facts about signal currents moving through speaker cables.

What you learn from it is that for mid to high frequencies solid core attenuates the signal much more than stranded wire.  At low frequencies there really is no difference, since the current stays pretty much centered and doesn't move out towards the skin.  But the cable resistance is much higher for mid to treble signals than for bass in solid core compared to stranded due to the difference in skin effect.

So even though you may think that the solid core cable is giving you more bass, that's just an illusion.  What is really happening is that the mid to high range is being attenuated in proportion to the signal frequency. It may sound like more bass, but it's not.  It's less upper end instead, so it appears relatively that there is more bass.  You're actually losing some of the high end.

Thank you for the education.

paolocaminiti

« Reply #28 on: 10 Jun 2020, 09:30 pm »

Actually in my system dnm solid core vs bluejeans 10awg yelds quite the opposite effect as I wrote... I'd like to found something with the bass of the bluejeans but with better refinement (as the dnm), any suggestion is wellcome.

diyman

« Reply #29 on: 10 Jun 2020, 09:57 pm »
Thank you for the education.

I don't claim to be an expert.  I'm just repeating what I saw in the video. It's best to watch it yourself and come away with your own conclusions.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #30 on: 10 Jun 2020, 11:02 pm »
Actually in my system dnm solid core vs bluejeans 10awg yelds quite the opposite effect as I wrote... I'd like to found something with the bass of the bluejeans but with better refinement (as the dnm), any suggestion is wellcome.
I have the M3 Sapphires and initially started with Solid Core Anticables 3.1. While they were transparent they sounded harsh and just didn’t impress me with my system, SS SPL Combo- Performer/Director. I demoed some SR Atmospheres from Alfred at HighEnd Audio. Did not charge my card until I decided. I would certainly recommend doing a demo either with HighEnd or The Cable Co. But I think you’ll find the High end is top notch!

paolocaminiti

« Reply #31 on: 10 Jun 2020, 11:40 pm »
Thanks, a bit over budget for now. Also I'm starting to buy into the cables thing after I heard such differences with the xlr, but synergistic research advertising is still somewhat hard to digest...

The big problem I've with these upgrades is that buying from companies that offer you one choice like dnm and bluejeans or a sensible set like anticables with its 2 levels (plus a cost no objection super one) is a thing, but trying to make sense of other companies large offers with scattered prices just seems like buying compromises... it's difficult to decide within one brand, and impossible to compare between brands.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #32 on: 10 Jun 2020, 11:55 pm »
Yes understood completely. I still have my Anticables 3.1s 12 footers bananas if anyone is interested. Anyway I really had to force myself to sit down and do some critical listening. Actually took some effort for me in my senior years but for me I really wanted to justify that what I was hearing was real and not some idea in my head. Anyway I think many companies will demo cables. Good Luck and happy listening!

Jprod

« Reply #33 on: 11 Jun 2020, 02:48 pm »

I have a a pair of anticables 3.1  with my x5s. I noticed that although the bass is good , the mids and highs sound like they have a "veil" ( especially the mids) .  It seems more of an issue since I switched from a  ss to a tube amp.  I have ordered some audio envy speaker cables to give them a try in my system.  Will give an update once i get them .

bbybaudio

« Reply #34 on: 11 Jun 2020, 06:29 pm »
I went with the anticable 5s after conversing with Paul. He definitely felt the 5s would sound better than the 3s, but big difference in price.

CSI

« Reply #35 on: 11 Jun 2020, 07:37 pm »
I believe the Spatials were developed with anti cables. In any case, I went with them and was happy for three years. Then we moved and the bright red stiff anti cables failed the WAF in our new digs. So I am now using Morrow SP4 cables and they are just fine. And much less conspicuous along the base board behind the speakers.

Jprod

« Reply #36 on: 11 Jun 2020, 09:48 pm »
I went with the anticable 5s after conversing with Paul. He definitely felt the 5s would sound better than the 3s, but big difference in price.

I’m sure they are great but that’s a lot of scratch. Can’t bring myself to spend a few grand on 10
Foot cables.   I wish anticables had an in between option

ric

« Reply #37 on: 12 Jun 2020, 01:17 pm »
I had the Morrow sp 3 or 4's, can't remember which, and liked them and then one day saw a Craigslist ad for a pair of MIT MH750's for cheap.Tried out the MIT's and they just sounded right, and the Morrows sounded thin by comparison, so I sold them. I've since moved up the MIT line with Magnum M1's, and say what you will about price, MIT is doing something right, even if they're newer stuff is made of unobtanium.

Lndryguru

« Reply #38 on: 13 Jun 2020, 04:48 pm »
I am using Audio Envy throughout my system, M3T driven by Cherry amps, with a tube pre, Aric Audio, and phono stage, Tavish.
Audio Envy is a great product, open, clean, and has great synergy with my system.  I have used several cables, these are far and above the best.  The owner, Cap, could not be any more helpful or pleasant to work with.  Don't let the reasonable price imply that they are not amazing.

sjsfiveo

« Reply #39 on: 16 Jun 2020, 01:40 am »
I use Verastarr speaker cables, there 2 inch flat foil copper cables they eliminate  the skin affect associated with round wire. Fantastic detail best cables I’ve ever owned.