Speakers & cables - what do you use?

Grit

• - Garrett
Speakers & cables - what do you use?
« on: 7 May 2020, 10:57 pm »
Preface - I do NOT want to start a discussion about potential differences in cables. There's plenty of those. I just thought it'd be interesting to see what kinds of speakers and cables Bryston owners use. So please chime in and share what you use.

I have Aerial Acoustics 7T speakers and Morrow Audio cables with all Bryston electronics (save video input devices).

I have no immediate desire to change electronics or speakers (save upgrading to newer Bryston stuff), though I've entertained B&W 802 D3's!

- Garrett

martydmnt

Re: Speakers & cables - what do you use?
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2020, 01:21 am »
Mogami 3103 For speaker cable, Mogami 2528 for analog interconnects, Benchmark coax for connecting my Pi to my B1353 dac inputs. All power cables are stock. Yes, I heard that audible gasp from here.

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2020, 03:53 am »
I use ordinary speaker wire 14 gauge or is it 12? For interconnects I don't buy the most expensive wire but I don't use Stock either. I using Straight Wire and a Cardis. Fiber optic connection for digital I use a more expensive one as I could hear it was more transparent than the cheaper one.

I don't go overboard with wire because I don't believe I could hear a difference. Besides I know using a SP2 multichannel processor that if I want to change a sound just change a Soundfield or with my Yamaha MG-10 mixer, I can change the Gain, Line Level, Tone Controls, Master Volume, these are the things I'm gonna hear. :smoke:

zoom25

« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2020, 06:03 am »
Interconnects: Mogami 2549, Mogami 3173, Mogami 2964 for SPDIF if needed, 'Ghost Cable' from a mastering person, and Grimm TPR. Some of these are 110 so can and are used for digital analog both. All these sound different from one another in analog usage. For digital, cabling variety can matter, but so does length.

Power cables: Unshielded stock cables everywhere (14 AWG and 18AWG) going into Torus or Tripplite in different systems.

Speaker cables: Amphion speaker cables in the passive all Amphion system. The other 2 systems are active so just XLR interconnects. In the low-end passive Marantz system in the casual system that gets used once in a while, I use random speaker cable bought from Canada Computers.

(I only experiment with balanced analog/digital interconnects with their quick Neutrik swapping. The speaker cables are a headache and take forever and so those never get touched, and thus have been a constant for years.)

Ethernet: I have all kinds of 5e, 6, 6a in UTP varieties, and shielded varieties up to S/STP. I have settled with Belden bonded solid core Cat6 UTP that I use with the Bryston system along with Teradak LPS for the switch.

USB: Way too many (50+). Notable ones include Belkin Gold and Audioquest Forest. Some of these USB cables along with ethernet cable have been individually tested on Fluke analyzers to assure that they can meet and exceed the specs required. I like to know how the cables are made (design) and how they measure.

navi

« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2020, 07:02 am »
Mogami 3103 For speaker cable, Mogami 2528 for analog interconnects, Benchmark coax for connecting my Pi to my B1353 dac inputs. All power cables are stock. Yes, I heard that audible gasp from here.

reasonably priced Mogami through the system...... Too sensible to be an Audiophile!

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #5 on: 8 May 2020, 11:37 am »
Audioquest CV4...6 foot lengths to speakers....ballanced interconnects between components...

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #6 on: 8 May 2020, 12:20 pm »
reasonably priced Mogami through the system...... Too sensible to be an Audiophile!

+1.

servingko

« Reply #7 on: 8 May 2020, 12:54 pm »
Belden 5000 series 10 gauge in my home theater and Kimber 8PR in my two channel rig.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #8 on: 8 May 2020, 01:34 pm »
Speakers: Magnepan 20.7 (What James used prior to Bryston's own speakers btw) and the 20.7 are my end game speakers.
Speaker cable long long time Kimber 8TC
Main IC Kimber KS1116 (XLR) and Kimber KS1016 (RCA) Some Parsec from Cardas too.
Power cords mostly Pangea XL14 afew home made with Furtech plugs.
Outlets: all Furutech GTX-D mostly Rhodium NCF

bobf

« Reply #9 on: 8 May 2020, 04:25 pm »
Currently ATC SCM 11 version 2 speakers with Gotham speaker cable. Nordost Heimdal version 2 USB cable.

In past used Shunyata and Audience speaker cables with Audio Physic Step 25, Kef LS50, Bryston Mini T.

Digiflex AES cable and Benchmark BNC to SPdif.

Gotham balanced and unbalanced interconnects.

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #10 on: 8 May 2020, 10:13 pm »
Belden 10-gauge 5T00UP for my Thiel 2.7 speakers.   Locking bananas and Spades.
Blue Jeans LC-1 for unbalanced interconnects.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #11 on: 9 May 2020, 12:50 am »
Audio Physic Yara Evolution Bookshelf speakers
Canare 4S11 speaker cables (used in single wired, not bi-wired, configuration)
Kimber Hero RCAs with locking WBT connectors
Kimber DV-30 coax digital
Shunyata Diamondback power cord on Bryston B60
Shunyata Venom (original) power cord on Rega DAC
Audioquest NRG-something or other power cord on Bluesound Node 2

I also have a $30 glass optical cable I bought on Amazon. I think it’s a SonicWave cable. Sounds better than the few “high end” optical cables I tried.

I’ve demoed a bunch of cables higher and lower priced. The ones I’ve got were what I thought sounded best without breaking the bank. And except for the speaker cables, they were all bought new at a discount - closeout, store moving, stuff like that.

Swisschommy

« Reply #12 on: 27 May 2020, 09:45 pm »
System 1: 14BSST --> HomeDepot Bi-Wire --> Dunlavy SCIV
System 2: 8BNRB --> Cardas --> Linn Kaber passiv bi-amped --> SVS SB2000 Pro

And really, I can't hear the difference and neither measure it between the Cardas and the Home Depot stuff. However, termination matters and I use crimp like most industrial designs  :thumb:

DRK

« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2020, 08:22 pm »
I also have Aerial Acoustic 7T speakers, 4Bcubed amp, BP25P upgraded to BP26P, BCD-3 and all Analysis Plus interconnects and speaker cables.  Also have Kimber Kable speaker cables and interconnects which I like.

GrooveControl

« Reply #14 on: 30 May 2020, 12:45 pm »
Balanced interconnects from DAC —> BHA1 —> DN360 —> 3BSST with Neutrik connectors. 

The Xcalibur cables available from AVShop.ca are a great value. You can even order the Neutrik red and white colour rings for the xlr connectors so it’s easier to identify left from right. Highly recommended.

acadie_bazz

« Reply #15 on: 11 Aug 2020, 10:12 pm »
Cardas Clear balanced cable
Cardas Clear Beyond speaker cable

Houston Kid

« Reply #16 on: 11 Aug 2020, 10:40 pm »
Canare 4S11. I like the plain look.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #17 on: 11 Aug 2020, 11:30 pm »
Focal 1027 and all Siltech.

knotscott

• Sterling Acoustic speakers, Dyna/VTA ST70 bi-amped
« Reply #18 on: 12 Aug 2020, 12:15 am »
 - Sterling Acoustics Acumen speakers (Focal 8K transmission line, Focal 5K, Seas tweeter)
 - running Monoprice 12 awg OFC 4- conductor speaker cable, bi-amped and bi-wired
 - solid silver IC between amp and pre & the DAC and pre, SKW ICs from TT to pre

The Rang

« Reply #19 on: 13 Aug 2020, 04:45 am »
Amphion Argon 3LS speakers
Transparent Music Wave speaker cables