RCA 45 J3

45man

RCA 45 J3
« on: 8 Feb 2007, 08:40 pm »
Greetings to all.  I have a RCA J3 turntable that needs some help and was hoping to find someone in the St. Louis area that has worked on these before.  Don't want to send it out or try it myself unless I have to,

45man

electricbear

Re: RCA 45 J3
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2007, 12:04 am »
Zaw at Alpha Tech has worked on just about every turntable out there. 314-645-5250. Tell him that Tim sent you.

Scott F.

« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2007, 12:10 am »
Van,

Welcome aboard!

So tell us, does 45man mean you are into 45rpm records or does that mean you are into using 45 triodes for amplification? If its amps, tell us more about your system. Even if it isn't amps, tell us some more about yourself. Inquiring minds want to know  :green:

45man

« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2007, 12:22 pm »
45man means I'm into 45 records.  I have various 45 only turntables and have rebuilt a few of them myself.  Have had more experience with the J2's.  Collect mostly classical recordings from the 50's.  Would like to get into tube amps and find a mono tube amp for my players.  The J3 is one that I bought from someone else from Texas and I don't want to send it back for a fix. I just might try it myself this weekend. I have been to Alpha Tech before but was hoping to find someone that can work on this with me.  My system is not very elaborate but for me it does the job.  My main listening system is on my desk at work, it is a RCA 45 J2 with a magnetic cartridge going into an old RCA tube radio.  This is where I get most of my listening time in.  I am a classically trained pianist/organist and am the music director at my church.  I have 2 kids and my wife is also a pianist and she teaches and works with the Kirkwood Children's Choir.  I work at a local retail store where I am the manager of the sheet music department.  Have always been fascinated with the 45 records and for the past year have been seriously collecting boxed sets.  Like I said earlier mainly classical but do have some jazz.  Peace to all,

45man
« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2007, 01:47 pm by 45man »

45man

« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2007, 04:35 pm »
Greetings to all,

Well I did fix it myself.  Seems as if some oil had gotten on the rubber idler wheel and after cleaning that and underneath the turntable that took care of it.

Scott F.

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2007, 11:55 pm »
Hey 45man,

You mentioned in an earlier post that you'd like to get into tubes someday. I was down at Record Exchange today (on South Hampton) and it just so happened that they had a really nice Grommes push pull 6V6, mono amp there. It has an integrated phono stage and has the variable EQ rates for all the different EQ settings over the years. It's a pretty cool little amp that probably puts out about 10 or 12 watts.

If you don't have a higher efficiency speaker to mate with it, they've got a nice (single) Bozak B300 Century sitting on one of the end caps of the record isles. They would be a match made in heaven I'd bet. The Grommes was $100 bucks and I'd bet you could pick up that Bozak for somewhere less than the Grommes.

Brad

« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2007, 01:30 am »
Hey Scott,

If 45mann doesn't pick up this setup, would you be interested in shipping the Bozak to Houston?

Scott F.

« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb 2007, 04:14 am »
If 45mann doesn't pick up this setup, would you be interested in shipping the Bozak to Houston?

Well, I could ship it but boy it could get expensive. This thing is about 5 or 6 cubic feet in size and I'd bet it weighs close to 100 pounds. It defiantly won't ship in a cardboard box. I'd have to build a crate and ship it common carrier. But if 45man doesn't want it and you really can't live without it (believe me, I know what thats all about), just let me know. We'll figure something out  :wink: