What did you replace your VMPS RM 40’s with

Don bennett

What did you replace your VMPS RM 40’s with
« on: 18 Sep 2021, 01:21 am »
I sold my RM 40’s almost 15 years ago.  I still miss them.  I really wanted the RMX Eixer but moved onto a boat for 7 years and the opportunity passed.  I moved into a house and purchased a set of Pass Labs Rushmore’s.

I sold them a couple of years back.  Even though they cost multitudes of the Rm 40’s, I miss the Rm 40’s more.

I am building a new stereo room.  I have a great front end, but am looking for the right speakers.  My favorites have been VMPS RM 40’s and Infinity RS 2.5’s

I am now looking for suggestions, 10k range used, more $$$ if needed.  The room will be 24 x 30 give or take.
What do you think?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: What did you replace your VMPS RM 40’s with
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2021, 01:35 am »
Hi,
The Starting Block Circle is really for people to introduce themselves.
This question/thread is best posted in the VMPS Circle, so I wll move it there for you now.

G E

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2021, 04:35 pm »
Don,

Welcome!

If you are on the West Coast, RM-40’s appear for sale fairly often.

John Casler has a pair for sale I believe. He worked closely with Brian back in the day.

I found this link

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649746377-vmps-rm40-brian-cheney-signature-edition-wrare-dibble-cabinet/

GeorgeAb

« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2021, 04:49 am »
I replaced my RM-30's with RM-60's. I have a pair of RM-40's I use in my home theater setup. Really happy with the RM-60's, but the setup is quite complex and requires a dedicated listening room particularly since they are dipole which gives you a much more open sound than the RM-40's IMO.

I listened to an excellent sounding set up a few months back when I purchased an amp from someone. It was a pair of Focal Sopra 2 in a dedicated well treated room. They normally are from $7 to $10K used. I believe he paid $8K. They were well balanced, incredible imaging, great detail and they look gorgeous. They seem to go fairly fast based on the hifi shark and right now there are more WTB then sellers listed.  https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=focal+sopra+2

Just need to get out there and listen, hopefully in a room similar to yours. I am sure there are a number of other speakers. Maybe a audio club in your area where someone may invite you over to hear what they have. Good luck.

rbbert

« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2021, 12:55 pm »
Daedalus Ulysses (used) may fit into your budget; tower design like the RM-40's (including the top woofer), more efficient and better horizontal dispersion, smoother frequency response, maybe missing the bottom half-octave of bass compared to the RM-40's.  Infinitely better appearance and craftmanship.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2021, 10:36 pm »
I went to open baffle speakers, mainly GR Research and Spatial Audio.  They were the only OB companies that gave me that sense of scale that the 40's excelled at.  And similar levels of transparency and even better bass.