Purity Audio Design "Reference" review on SoundStage! Network

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio

For all those who have been waiting, Our first professional review is now live and ready to be viewed on UltraAudio, a part of the SoundStage! Network.

The Purity Reference linestage even receives the "Select Component Award"

A quick quote: 
”The high frequencies were sweet, silky, airy, and delicate -- and, at other times, so revealing of information that my brain had to work hard to take it all in. The Purity Reference’s bass performance was among the best I’ve heard. The bass was deep, tight, detailed, and full, and rendered with lifelike clarity. The midrange was textured and present, with no hint of sounding soft or muffled. The palette of colors and timbres offered by the Reference was broad and rich. The Reference had “see-through” soundstaging in my system that was difficult for me to quantify -- stages seemed to extend past my room’s side and front walls, with images that were clearly delineated, dimensional, and well defined. In fact, the Purity Reference imaged with the best I’ve had in my listening room”

Michael Wright
Contributing Writer                               
SoundStage! Network

Read the full review: http://www.ultraaudio.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=163:purity-audio-design-purity-reference-preamplifier&catid=37:full-length-reviews&Itemid=2

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Congrats Bill, it's a beautiful preamplifier for sure. Very contemporary styling but with a little victorian touch (especially the gold writing) that looks fantastic.

:thumb:

Anand.

LadyDog

Agree, congrats Bill.  Glad to see all the hard work coming to fruition.  Just wish my bank account was bigger.    :cry:

KJ

Congrats Bill and Joe on the nice write up.  "Sounds" accurate to me.  :)

JackD201

Way to go Bill! Congrats to you and all your customers  :thumb:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Thanks everyone for the kind words. It has been a lot of work to get it to this point.

Congrats Bill, it's a beautiful preamplifier for sure. Very contemporary styling but with a little victorian touch (especially the gold writing) that looks fantastic

It's actually Silver. We don't use silk screening rather a silver acrylic to fill the laser engraved lettering and markings on both the front and rear panels as well as the top plate.

mdfoy

Bill,

Congratulations on a most excellent review, for a most excellent guy.  It's is nice to see you getting some much deserved "dap".  :bowdown: :notworthy:

watercourse

Congrats Bill!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Thanks again guys. Wait till you get your September issue of The Absolute Sound which has a review of the Purity Silver Statement :thumb:

mdfoy - how's the preamp treating you? Any updates?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Bill/Joe,
Congrats on the review.  I understand Mike Wright has a wood-case version of the Purity.  Any pics?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio

JAMn Joe

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.jamnaudio.com
Thanks Ted!

As far as reviews go, look for the following:

Silver Statement - The Absolute Sound, Dick Olsher has done the review of our Silver Statement preamp. Due out in the September issue, hitting subscribers doors shortly and newstands by the end of August.

Reference -Bound for Sound, Martin DeWoulf, publish date still not known but we will update this post as soon as we do.

Also, we will be debuting the Ultra GT at this years RMAF 2011. This unit will include the Silver autoformer customization. More information about the room and it's associated equipment will come soon. We can tell you now that we will be partnering with Albert VonShweikert and the speakers in the room will be the VR5 Anniversary Editions. We hope all our AC fans will stop by the room to hear this years system which should be quite special.

mdfoy

Re: Purity Audio Design "Reference" review on SoundStage! Network
« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2011, 01:12 pm »
mdfoy - how's the preamp treating you? Any updates?

All is very well, still rolling tubes.  The organ stock Raytheon 12AU7 black plates are still king of the hill in my set-up. 

I am thinking about swapping out the 2.0 Amphom cap with the ClarityCap MR or VCap.  Still more at the thinking than doing stage.

How are you doing? Have things settled down up there?
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2011, 10:48 pm by mdfoy »

mdfoy

Bill,

The ClarityCap MR caps were installed in the Purity One yesterday!   Out of the box, they were a little compressed in the bass, and crispy in the high end, but the potential is very apparent.  :thumb: :thumb:
What type of break-in time and changes are expected?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
What type of break-in time and changes are expected?

Give them a good week of use and you will start to hear them open up.

mdfoy

Thanks!