Which Subs

Ragnar71

Which Subs
« on: 27 Feb 2020, 04:17 pm »
I listen to Acoustical and Vocal driven music 90% of the time. As repremhsible as it may seem the MTV unplugged recordings are some of my favorite tracks to listen to. I’ve never had a dedicated 2 channel system, always AVR HT rigs . I’m going to buy some Maggie’s and will need to add subs. The subs may not do an a lot on most things I listen to, but the other 10% I must admit I occasionally listen to some classic and music from the 80’s & early 90’s. Most people say Maggie’s aren’t great for that, but honestly when I’m listening to AC/DC or Duran Duran ( don’t laugh, once in a blue moon I like to flashback to my high school days) I can handle it not being as great as they are with what I listen to the majority of the time. Nothing is perfect . Anyway...

The subs, I’m committed to running dual subs , but I read where with Maggie’s you need fast bass and not all subs are up to the task. My question is this, do I need to get servo subs like Rythmik, or Subs from REL or would some of the sealed SVS new subs work well? SVS is the most affordable , two of the SB 2000 pro , REL the most expensive, Rythmik in the middle. What do you use, those of you who run subs ? Just would like the opinion of some real people and not the ‘audiophile’ reviewers who listen critically and hear things I don’t think at 50 and been to too many concerts am even capable of hearing now. I’d like to do this right though . I’ve even considered the bass panels & subs... i would value any thoughts or opinions. The Maggie’s will be the .7i ‘s

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Which Subs
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2020, 05:20 pm »
OB subs are really the very best choice for planars (or any open baffle speaker, really).  These from GR Research are the ones you want (they use drivers from Rythmik Audio):

brooklyn

« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2020, 05:41 pm »
I recently purchased the Maggie .7’s and I’m presently using a Presonus T8 sub that I was formally using in a three piece desktop system and thought I would give it a shot. Mind you I was dead set against using a sub with Maggies.. The end results were better then I expected but probably not the best choice. I don’t have a large room so I’m looking at something in a smaller size, I’ve been looking at the REL T5 sub(s) as my next upgrade.. We’ll see how that goes.

smargo

« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2020, 05:54 pm »
i use the svs 3000 sealed subwoofer $995 retail with the maggie LRS - its an incredible match imho

https://www.svsound.com/collections/3000-series

Saturn94

« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2020, 06:23 pm »
I’m very happy with my Power Sound Audio sealed sub (Triax)  paired with my Maggie LRS.  :thumb:

Also, IMO, my LRS sound great with any well recorded/well mastered recordings regardless of genre. :D

Paddlefoot

« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2020, 07:27 pm »
I have Rythmik Audio F12G with my mini maggies and my LRS, fast, tight , sounds great and mates well with them.

Tyson

« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2020, 07:55 pm »
You people need to try OB servo subs with your planars.  Trust me, you will thank me later!  :thumb: :lol:

Saturn94

« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb 2020, 08:23 pm »
You people need to try OB servo subs with your planars.  Trust me, you will thank me later!  :thumb: :lol:

No space or money for OB subs.  It was a stretch just to accommodate the LRS in my living room.

I’ve heard the GR Research OB subs (paired with Super Minis), and yes, they sound great.  That said, pairing Maggies with a good sealed sub isn’t exactly slumming it. ;)

Tyson

« Reply #8 on: 27 Feb 2020, 08:29 pm »
No space or money for OB subs.  It was a stretch just to accommodate the LRS in my living room.

I’ve heard the GR Research OB subs (paired with Super Minis), and yes, they sound great.  That said, pairing Maggies with a good sealed sub isn’t exactly slumming it. ;)

I hear you re: space.  One thing I was thinking that might be clever is build the OB subs, turn them sideways and use them as very short stands for the speakers.  Takes up no more floor space and gets the bass integrated nicely. 

$860 per dual sub (plus box cost) is not too terrible I don't think.  But you are right, a single sub is definitely cheaper and can work well if you get it sealed and especially if you get a servo woofer like the Rythmik subs.  And cross it low enough. 

Saturn94

« Reply #9 on: 27 Feb 2020, 08:36 pm »
The GR subs definitely offer lots of performance for the buck.  :thumb:  They certainly can be used as stands for bookshelf/monitor speakers.  That’s how the Super Minis I heard were set up.  It might be a challenge putting Maggies on top of them though.  :lol:

Tyson

« Reply #10 on: 27 Feb 2020, 08:41 pm »
The GR subs definitely offer lots of performance for the buck.  :thumb:  They certainly can be used as stands for bookshelf/monitor speakers.  That’s how the Super Minis I heard were set up.  It might be a challenge putting Maggies on top of them though.  :lol:

Hahahahaha you are right, you definitely don't want to orient the subs vertically and I don't think any Maggie besides the LRS or .7 would work.  BUT, with the LRS or the .7, why couldn't you put them on the subs themselves if you laid the subs down so they were horizontal?  That might even help out by increasing the image height.  I bet a .7 on top of a servo OB sub would get you crazy good imaging, midrange and detail, along with crushing bass down low.  Hell I'm kind of tempted to get a .7 just to try it out... :D

Saturn94

« Reply #11 on: 27 Feb 2020, 08:50 pm »
That would be interesting to hear.  Not sure I would like the look though. Post some pics when you do that.  :thumb:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #12 on: 27 Feb 2020, 09:14 pm »
  A previously owned Carver Sunfire if you can find one. One will do.

charles

anzaanimal

« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2020, 08:39 pm »
I have two REL 5SHO's with the wireless longbow.  Being able to put them far away from the 3.7i's and not having cables is great.  I found that adding a PS Noise Harvester to the outlets makes a huge improvement in focus and articulation.

AvsFan

« Reply #14 on: 15 Apr 2020, 04:35 am »
https://rslspeakers.com/products/rsl-speedwoofer-10s/

This is the longest I have ever owned a subwoofer. Almost 3 years. And with good reason, I am finally happy with a sub! It's the most musical and articulate sub I have ever owned. I have tried the out with the LRS's and they're incredible. Very fast. I a, currently using dual RSL Speedwoofers with my ZU Audio Dirty Weekends, but as soon as RSL opens again, I will be buying two more! And don't let the $399 price scare you into thinking they are an entry level, "budget" sub, because I can assure you, they most certainly are not. The only thing entry or budget about them is the price. Brent Butterworth just reviewed it and named it The Best High Performance subwoofer. Brent Butterworth has been reviewing speakers, and more specifically, sub woofers for 20 years now.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-subwoofer-for-home/

They are a great sub, buy two for the price of one sub and have amazing stereo subs! By the way, the sub I replaced the the RSL's with was an SVS PC-2000. The dual RSL's are MUCH better for music than the SVS ever dreamed of. Now with that said, the SVS SB-3000 is supposed to be a real winner from what I am reading, but at $1099 for the premium gloss finish, I'd rather have two RSL's in the premium gloss white finish for $798!

AvsFan

« Reply #15 on: 15 Apr 2020, 04:42 am »

Right there with you. Getting my LRS"s out 4 feet into a room that is only 12x10 is all I have room for. No where to put OB subs. There are plenty of options out there for a fast sub that will integrate well with the Maggie's. Rythmik, PSA, HSU and REL are also very good options.

hayden

« Reply #16 on: 15 Apr 2020, 06:01 am »
Hsu ULS15 (one or duals).

mcmusicman

« Reply #17 on: 15 Apr 2020, 02:03 pm »
Sometimes I wonder if I needed subs for my my 1.7s or if I needed subs to treat my room problems. I use a pair of Elac S12EQs with the auto EQ feature.  After positioning them asymmetrically in the listening space, getting the delay and shift corrected everything came together nicely.  I am not an audio technician, still learning every day but remarkably the mids and treble cleaned up, image space became wider and deeper with much better definition all around. Adding multiple large bass traps and some absorption areas did not hurt a bit.  I still scratch my head at how adding bass and adding bass traps helped everything else? I think it has something to do with reducing cancellations & smear. Attack or speed seemed to improve as well.

AvsFan

« Reply #18 on: 17 Apr 2020, 01:04 am »
Hsu ULS15 (one or duals).

EXACTLY where I was heading with HSU.
And two subs, must you have! Of course.  :D

AvsFan

« Reply #19 on: 17 Apr 2020, 01:19 am »
Sometimes I wonder if I needed subs for my my 1.7s or if I needed subs to treat my room problems. I use a pair of Elac S12EQs with the auto EQ feature.  After positioning them asymmetrically in the listening space, getting the delay and shift corrected everything came together nicely.  I am not an audio technician, still learning every day but remarkably the mids and treble cleaned up, image space became wider and deeper with much better definition all around. Adding multiple large bass traps and some absorption areas did not hurt a bit.  I still scratch my head at how adding bass and adding bass traps helped everything else? I think it has something to do with reducing cancellations & smear. Attack or speed seemed to improve as well.

I have gone on and on and on about this. There are so many people that hear the word sub, especially so called audiophiles and cringe or stick there nose up at the idea. People, it's soooo much more than just adding boom to your system. It makes the entire experience so much better. Properly integrated subs change everything. I have my dual RSL's dialed in for my home theater system and listening to two channel music out there is ridiculously great! I can't locate the subs at all. When I turn them off, the sound stage collapses and sounds flat. I mean it still sounds good, but not nearly as good. Adding subs to almost any music system is a good thing. Unless you have massive, true, full range tower speakers that play to 20hz easily and massive powers supplies to push those kind of speakers. Add a sub or two, you'll enjoy the music more. And it's not even a thought with the Maggie's. You MUST add subs or you're missing parts of the music.