New LRS or .7's Maggies

Saturn94

Re: New LRS or .7's Maggies
« Reply #60 on: 18 Feb 2020, 03:59 am »
Do you have it hooked up to a Magnepan LRS????

I've been reading and watching reviews on the Parasound stuff out right now and it's all VERY positive. The 2250 v.2 is $999!!!!!! The AVA SET 400 that I want is double at $2000. And although I am sure the AVA SET 400 might be a better amp, would it be $1000 better than the Parasound???? Probably not. But all just assumptions because I have never heard either one. I would bet that either one would happily drive the .7, LRS or any other Magnepan with no issues at all though. 

https://parasound.com/2250-v2.php

https://avahifi.com/collections/power-amplifiers/products/vision-set-400-amplifier?variant=5750804545566

Sorry for the delayed response.  I just saw your post.

Yes, I’m using a Parasound Classic 5250 to drive my LRS with no issues.

https://parasound.com/vintage/5250.php

Saturn94

« Reply #61 on: 18 Feb 2020, 04:12 am »
I can tell you that the AVA SET 400 sounds  much better than my Parasound A21 which is a better sounding amp than the Parasound Classic amps.  The extra money for the AVA amp is worth it.  I still love my A21 and listen to it often as I gave it to my son.  If you are interested in the differences, PM me.

Larry

Intriguing.  :)

No money to try a new new amp, though.  :(

AvsFan

« Reply #62 on: 18 Feb 2020, 03:43 pm »
I can tell you that the AVA SET 400 sounds  much better than my Parasound A21 which is a better sounding amp than the Parasound Classic amps.  The extra money for the AVA amp is worth it.  I still love my A21 and listen to it often as I gave it to my son.  If you are interested in the differences, PM me.

Larry

I have no doubt the AVA SET 400 is a better sounding amp. I have never heard Frank's gear but he is highly respected and I've only read great things about his products.
You and I have talked in length about amps and you already know that I have my heart "SET" on the SET 400 but even at a bargain basement price of $2000, it will be the most expensive piece I have ever bought for my two channel audio system. It's going to take me a minute to save for it. Heck the SET 600 will be out by then. LOL  :D I really do want the SET 400 though. Like I said, end game amp for me. But the Digital Amplifier Company STM King version could be an end game amp as well. It is an end game amp. I will NEVER sell it. It's that good. Just need that 60v power supply. But I have many systems it could be used in. I guess at retail, the King version STM is near $2000, I didn't pay anywhere close to that though. I bought a demo unit. But it would be a fun comparison. A new tech, well designed Class D amp vs a well designed, tried and proven Class A/B amp. I'd be curious to hear the differences.   

AvsFan

« Reply #63 on: 18 Feb 2020, 03:50 pm »
Intriguing.  :)

No money to try a new new amp, though.  :(

That darn money thing is always getting in the way.  :duh:

AvsFan

« Reply #64 on: 18 Feb 2020, 04:02 pm »
Sorry for the delayed response.  I just saw your post.

Yes, I’m using a Parasound Classic 5250 to drive my LRS with no issues.

https://parasound.com/vintage/5250.php

Thanks! Can you take some pics of your set up? I had my LRS's in my theater for a bit. Just to see how I liked them. Loved it! Funny thing is, my Pioneer Elite AVR was the only amp I couldn't drive into protection mode. I did have them set to small and crossed over at 80hz, so I am sure that had a lot to do with it but, I have REALLY enjoyed the Pioneer AVR's over the past few years, they hands down beat everything else I have tried, and I have gone through a lot of AVR's. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #65 on: 18 Feb 2020, 04:18 pm »
I have no doubt the AVA SET 400 is a better sounding amp. I have never heard Frank's gear but he is highly respected and I've only read great things about his products.
You and I have talked in length about amps and you already know that I have my heart "SET" on the SET 400 but even at a bargain basement price of $2000, it will be the most expensive piece I have ever bought for my two channel audio system. It's going to take me a minute to save for it. Heck the SET 600 will be out by then. LOL  :D I really do want the SET 400 though. Like I said, end game amp for me. But the Digital Amplifier Company STM King version could be an end game amp as well. It is an end game amp. I will NEVER sell it. It's that good. Just need that 60v power supply. But I have many systems it could be used in. I guess at retail, the King version STM is near $2000, I didn't pay anywhere close to that though. I bought a demo unit. But it would be a fun comparison. A new tech, well designed Class D amp vs a well designed, tried and proven Class A/B amp. I'd be curious to hear the differences.

You cannot assume that. It will be different but maybe not better. I would work with what you have. IMHO you would be better off improving on the front end components. New DAC, Cart, Tubed preamp, etc. Now if curiosity has got ya big time get a demo to hear first.

charles

AvsFan

« Reply #66 on: 18 Feb 2020, 04:41 pm »
   You cannot assume that. It will be different but maybe not better. I would work with what you have. IMHO you would be better off improving on the front end components. New DAC, Cart, Tubed preamp, etc. Now if curiosity has got ya big time get a demo to hear first.

charles

That's what I am doing. I have the 48v power supply and in the near future will have the 60v. Might be all I need and want. Eventually I am going to need an amp for another system. But I am going in order.  60v power supply, I already have a GREAT DAC from Tommy over at DAC. And am looking into a decent pre-amp. Maybe Schiit Freya+. Oh and will have a sealed dual 8 inch sub from Louis over at Omega speakers to throw into the mix, so my two channel system in this office is well on it's way to being a VERY nice set up.

AvsFan

« Reply #67 on: 18 Feb 2020, 04:53 pm »

charles

And assume what exactly? that the AVA SET 400 is better sounding than the Parasound 2250 v.2?
Oh, I am more than willing to go out on a limb for that assumption. LOL. But I have been wrong in the assumption department before. :D

Now assuming that the AVA SET 400 and the DAC STM amp, that one is better than the other is silly. Like you said, maybe different but not better, both are super high quality amps.   

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #68 on: 18 Feb 2020, 05:40 pm »
AVS fan, I was not telling you not to use the Parasound Classic.  They are fine amps and should work well with the Maggies.  I was just pointing out that it is not in the same league for sound.  Sorry if I came off harsh.  And who knows, you may not like the sound of the AVA 400, we all have our preferences  :)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #69 on: 18 Feb 2020, 05:43 pm »
Now assuming that the AVA SET 400 and the DAC STM amp, that one is better than the other is silly. Like you said, maybe different but not better, both are super high quality amps.

You only know what you know when you know it. Until then assumptions about anything are just assumptions.

Saturn94

« Reply #70 on: 18 Feb 2020, 06:20 pm »

Thanks! Can you take some pics of your set up? I had my LRS's in my theater for a bit. Just to see how I liked them. Loved it! Funny thing is, my Pioneer Elite AVR was the only amp I couldn't drive into protection mode. I did have them set to small and crossed over at 80hz, so I am sure that had a lot to do with it but, I have REALLY enjoyed the Pioneer AVR's over the past few years, they hands down beat everything else I have tried, and I have gone through a lot of AVR's.

There’s a couple pics here;

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=168201.msg1783597#new

My LRS are part of a 5.1 system (serves double duty for music and HT).   Center and surrounds are NHT speakers (sealed designs).  To my ear they work together very well. My sub is from Powersound Audio (sealed design).  My pre/pro is an Anthem AVM 20.  Sources are an Oppo 103 and a Salkstream III (running Roon).

Oh, and of course as mentioned my amp is a Parasound Classic 5250.

AvsFan

« Reply #71 on: 18 Feb 2020, 06:35 pm »
AVS fan, I was not telling you not to use the Parasound Classic.  They are fine amps and should work well with the Maggies.  I was just pointing out that it is not in the same league for sound.  Sorry if I came off harsh.  And who knows, you may not like the sound of the AVA 400, we all have our preferences  :)

Oh, I know. And we are actually in agreement. I wasn't taking your comment as being harsh at all.  Maybe I was sounding harsh, which I didn't mean to either.
Parasound makes great sounding electronics. I have no doubt about that, but the AVA is in an entirely different league. I would consider AVA electronics HI End gear at a reasonable price. The review I just read was comparing it to a $10,000 amp. That's pretty special for $2000. I know that if I were to get the 2250 I would always be wondering what if I got the SET 400.
But first things first. 60v power supply from Tommy and then go from there. Eventually I will have one of Franks amps in one of my systems. My new Omega speakers might be a great match for the STM so at that point, I will need an amp for the Maggies.   

AvsFan

« Reply #72 on: 18 Feb 2020, 06:45 pm »
There’s a couple pics here;

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=168201.msg1783597#new

My LRS are part of a 5.1 system (serves double duty for music and HT).   Center and surrounds are NHT speakers (sealed designs).  To my ear they work together very well. My sub is from Powersound Audio (sealed design).  My pre/pro is an Anthem AVM 20.  Sources are an Oppo 103 and a Salkstream III (running Roon).

Oh, and of course as mentioned my amp is a Parasound Classic 5250.

VERY nice set up! Love IT! And those risers are sweet! Thanks for the link to your post. I will be purchasing a pair of those real soon.

Craig B

« Reply #73 on: 26 Feb 2020, 08:30 pm »
I purposely have not heard the latest and the greatest top tier Magnepans as why torture myself as they're out of my price range.
To my ears the 20.7s are the best speakers I've heard.
A swarm of LRS', you say...

I've lived happily with my .7s since September of last year, and that time frame includes a couple of extended visits at my brother's house, where he has 20.7s driven by electronics and source components worth many times more than mine. But as phenomenal as his system sounds (and it does), it doesn't diminish the enjoyment I get out of my 7.s and associated equipment. I feel like for a price comparable to about 1/10th his rig, I'm reaping a subjective (but honest) 95% of his benefits. Nothing about his system causes me any regret about mine; I'm happy as a clam.

brooklyn

« Reply #74 on: 22 Mar 2020, 05:40 am »
I recently sprung for an REL T5i Sub to go with my Maggie .7’s.. I don’t have a lot of experience with subs and my past experience wasn’t that great.. Naturally, I was reluctant to use any sub with Maggies because I didn’t think it would work well.. With the encouragement of some of the forum members and an old buddy I decided to give it a try..

I find the T5i works extremely well with the .7’s, the sound is seamless once I got it dialed in, the sub disappears like it’s part of the Maggies. The bass I’m getting is tight and full which is exactly what I was looking for. Maybe two subs would be better but right now I’m happy.. What a wonderful sub and addition to my system and the Maggies. I’m glad I decided to give it I try..

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #75 on: 22 Mar 2020, 05:57 am »
I recently sprung for an REL T5i Sub to go with my Maggie .7’s.. I don’t have a lot of experience with subs and my past experience wasn’t that great.. Naturally, I was reluctant to use any sub with Maggies because I didn’t think it would work well.. With the encouragement of some of the forum members and an old buddy I decided to give it a try..

I find the T5i works extremely well with the .7’s, the sound is seamless once I got it dialed in, the sub disappears like it’s part of the Maggies. The bass I’m getting is tight and full which is exactly what I was looking for. Maybe two subs would be better but right now I’m happy.. What a wonderful sub and addition to my system and the Maggies. I’m glad I decided to give it I try..

Congrats. Subs really do take Maggies to another level.  2 subs are definitely better but do not feel that you are missing out.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #76 on: 22 Mar 2020, 10:32 am »
Good deal.
I resisted getting a sub for my 1.7s for years - that was a mistake.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #77 on: 15 Apr 2020, 05:22 am »
But first things first. 60v power supply from Tommy and then go from there.

Did you ever get that 60v PS and if so, how well did it work with the LRS?

brucew268

« Reply #78 on: 6 Aug 2020, 09:11 pm »
It seems that Herb Reichert was speaking of the weight and scale of the sound being better from the .7 than the LRS. However, the Magna Riser review seems to imply it resolves this issue in the LRS. If that would make the LRS the equal or better overall performer, it becomes an even better option. I do hope to audition next month.

I got curious so here's the exchange between myself and Wendell:

I have a question for you after reading that Stereopile review on the LRS.
Is the sound from the LRS more detailed than the .7?
In the past it was always the higher up you go the more resolution you got but maybe you changed something?
Either that or I read the review wrong.

The reasons I stated for why we did the LRS was totally candid. Herb Riechert's Stereophile review was spot-on with regards to the comparison to the .7.
---------------------------------
Soooo it sounds to me like you get more detail with the LRS but things are larger-sized with the .7.
I guess it all depends on what  size room you have and how close you are to the speakers.
I would imagine either would require a subwoofer or two.

I've been thinking of getting some LRS for myself so eventually I'll do a review or sorts.
I'm going to set them up like giant Stax headphones at my desk.

johnto

« Reply #79 on: 8 Aug 2020, 03:53 pm »
The higher up you go in the Magnepan line the better and more fuller the sound. It just doesn't stand to reason why any speaker company would but out a cheaper speaker that sound better than their more expensive ones especially when we're talking the same technology.