Hey Mr Moderator....

Andy G

Hey Mr Moderator....
« on: 9 Jul 2006, 10:24 am »
You have GOT to figure out a way of starting up members actually saying something.
Some way of instigating discussion, getting people interest...  not sure if it is part of your job description... but someone has to.....free beer perhaps ?????  !!!! 

I'll join in as long as their are others !!!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Hey Mr Moderator....
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jul 2006, 11:31 am »
free beer perhaps ?????  !!!!
..... :hyper:....when and where ? :thumb: :lol:
Is there any way for you guy's to get together for a listening session somewhere ? Yes....I know it's a big country....but it worked for the NY Audio Rave, the Gateway guy's, and others.
Just an idea... to get people talking and listening.... :thumb:
Chris

jules

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jul 2006, 11:47 am »
Ok Andy, but please realize I'm ONLY the moderator and really this is a place to be run by and for the members ... very democratic  :). There is no job description!

I'm keen to see some more discussion taking place here and I've got a few ideas I'll  float as I do the research to make them something more than an armchair opinion. The simple/cheat way to get something happening is to throw up some perenial favourite that ends in the inevitable pissing contest but I shudder to think of another round of "Axioms of infinite madness"

So far as the Australian CDs, Vinyl and Music sticky goes, I reckon there's a wealth of potential that could be made as contributions beyond suggesting that all radio is crap. Thanks to those who've contributed and "I dare you to express your opinions" to those who haven't.

Thanks Andy. I take your post as an expression of enthusiasm for getting something moving but the closest I can get to free beer is to offer that I have some great tried and true homebrew recipes that alwways seem to finish up a lot stronger and better than the commercial stuff.

jules

ps ... Chris posted while I was writing the above and I've gotta agree it's the only pratical way to do the free beer  :D

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2006, 02:29 am »
It's funny, we seem to be very spread out...

Anyone else in Sydney other than me??

Andy G

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2006, 02:48 am »
Hi John,

Maybe you and Bart ought to organise a trip up this way some time

oldtimer

• God gave us ears to Listen
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2006, 10:12 am »
I am just around the corner from Andy, and have an interesting system if anyone would like to come up this way for a day. We are very hospitable here in Newie. :D

Nigel

jules

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2006, 11:53 pm »
Nigel,

generous offer! Have you considered the idea of giving some details of your system either either as pics in the gallery or as system details?

I know some people don't go for it but I find it interesting to be able to see what others put together. Do you have a room full of tubes  :o

jules

oldtimer

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jul 2006, 01:25 pm »
Sure jules. Here are my speakers. I have taken a novel approach of mounting the drivers (Visaton B200) by its magnet. This elimenates baffle vibration giving a very precise soundstage. These are bueatifull sounding speakers, that have blowen everybody that has heard them away. I am Bi-amping them with 10w "Charlize" amps, each amp is now mounted behind the baffle, and the driver is soldered straight to the board of the amp. Each amp has a 7AH SLA battery which gives me about 30 hours of listening. I have them setup so when I turn them off, they charge automaticlly. They are driven by a Decware CSP tube pre. I have a Peter Danials NOS DAC, and using a Sony xa7es as a transport. I have made all my own cables from Cat5E.

Enjoy Nigel

« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2006, 01:36 pm by oldtimer »

Andy G

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jul 2006, 01:43 am »
Ok Nigel, now we have to have a get-together..  I want to hear those.. soon !!!

Where were you again?

BTW, Peter is coming around this Friday 4-5ish to have a listen to these 4-ways I'm working on. 
More ears the better !!  217 Denison St.. near 9-ways if free and interested.
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2006, 02:08 am by Andy G »

jules

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jul 2006, 04:19 am »
"Interesting system" indeed Nigel! Refined and elegant without excess. Looking at that workbench in the background [wish mine was half as neat  :)], I'm guessing you must turn out all manner of marvels.

Thanks for all the pics. I'm not quite sure why this is all happening in the same area but there's quite a concentration of really original ideas suddenly coming out of the woodwork.

jules

Andy G

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jul 2006, 09:23 am »
You have to understand Newcastle I guess.

A lot of original thought on an artistic level..... music, art, etc... without the comformity to big city living.

oldtimer

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jul 2006, 09:28 am »
Ok Nigel, now we have to have a get-together..  I want to hear those.. soon !!!

Where were you again?

BTW, Peter is coming around this Friday 4-5ish to have a listen to these 4-ways I'm working on. 
More ears the better !!  217 Denison St.. near 9-ways if free and interested.

Hi Andy, You can come over anytime that suits you My Contact details are as follows
49425386   Mob 0422997402.

Talk soon
Nigel

oldtimer

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jul 2006, 09:32 am »
"Interesting system" indeed Nigel! Refined and elegant without excess. Looking at that workbench in the background [wish mine was half as neat  :)], I'm guessing you must turn out all manner of marvels.

Thanks for all the pics. I'm not quite sure why this is all happening in the same area but there's quite a concentration of really original ideas suddenly coming out of the woodwork.

jules

Jules, just 30 yrs experience making speakers I guess. :lol: Being a 4th generation Joiner helps too :thumb:

Nigel

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jul 2006, 10:04 am »
Wow, great stuff Nigel!

I'd love to come and visit you guys soon. Would have to be the weekend... propose a date? ;)

AKSA

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jul 2006, 11:22 am »
Nigel,

Incredible work.......

John,

If you do visit, would you consider driving Bart up with you?  He's not too well at present......

Cheers,

Hugh

JohnR

« Reply #15 on: 20 Jul 2006, 12:21 pm »
Hugh, of course, I'd be happy too :)

oldtimer

« Reply #16 on: 20 Jul 2006, 12:47 pm »
Wow, great stuff Nigel!

I'd love to come and visit you guys soon. Would have to be the weekend... propose a date? ;)

No probs John, We will have to start working on a day. This month is full, but early August looks OK at this stage.

Nigel

Andy G

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jul 2006, 10:33 pm »
Early August looks ok by me too....  will be sorta like a pub crawl !!!

Andy G

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jul 2006, 04:32 am »
To JohnR, 
sorry mate, I haven't done anything with those TB wide range yet.  Doubt I would have time before end of year looking at Uni load !!  :o  :violin:

rabbitz

« Reply #19 on: 22 Jul 2006, 04:14 am »
Picked up Nigel yesterday and went over to Andy's to check out the latest toys.

Always great to go over and see and hear his creations as there is always something different happening and for me gives another reference point for my own projects as it's easy to get side tracked and confused after extensive testing.... stops the head explosion and make sure you're heading in the right direction.

Andy's enthusiasm for music and the hobby rubs off and always makes me strive for more.