OT: Living in Perth....

EchiDna

« on: 30 Dec 2004, 04:09 am »
Hi Guys,
I know there is a few of you out there from Perth.... well lets just say I could maybe possibly be repatriated from Singapore not to my home town (Melbourne) but to the West...

any advice?
home rental costs? better locations?
living costs?
My companies office is in Bentley if that helps  :?

I've been to Perth a few times on business, but do not personally know anyone who LIVES there...

EchiDna

« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2004, 01:33 am »
thanks for the PM Rocket...

*sigh* housing has gone up a lot in the years I've lived in Asia....

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2004, 03:38 am »
Quote from: EchiDna

Still a lot cheaper then Sydney, from what I hear ;)

EchiDna

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2004, 04:08 am »
Quote from: JohnR
Quote from: EchiDna

Still a lot cheaper then Sydney, from what I hear ;)

yeah well that is true....

I actually had three offers for posts in Oz last year, but all were around the same money (not enough of it either!) and one was in Sydney - effectively the pull of living there was not sufficient to counter the 15-20% difference in the cost of living over the other options in WA and FNQ...

then again the 60% drop in the wage on offer was another detraction of moving home to Oz...  *sigh*

hence I'm still kickin around and enjoying everything that SE Asia has to offer - aside from typhoons, monsoons and the odd killer tidal wave, it's all great  :|

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2004, 06:22 am »
You're not alone -- there was an article in the paper a little while back, supposedly a million Australians are living overseas - !

EchiDna

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2004, 06:30 am »
yeah I read that ... something about the great aussie diaspora (I had to look 'diaspora' up in the dictionary when I read it!)

Personally it came down to getting a stable, decent job at the time of high unemployment at home - the choice was simple coming out of Melbourne, but the realities of going back means giving up a lot we have become used to like low taxes, greater opportunity at work and having a maid at home...

now there is low unemployment and I've got skills and experience people want - but nobody will pay anything close to what I earn now for them, hence the conundrum.

Adarsh

« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2005, 02:35 pm »
I might be moving to Melbourne next year.

How hard is to keep up my Audiophile life there? Is equipment easily available?

-A

WerTicus

« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2005, 04:20 pm »
probably easier :P

AKSA

« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2005, 11:45 pm »
Melbourne is probably the home of DIY in Australia........ and there are plenty of people around with mega expensive systems.  I listened to one yesterday at Donvale - Cary pre, Cary 805 SET and AKSA 100 on the bass, Proac Towers, much modified, latest Marantz SACD player.  Simply stunning.....

Cheers,

Hugh