6 Moons Review of Ref 9

trekker

6 Moons Review of Ref 9
« on: 14 Sep 2005, 01:05 am »

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
6 Moons Review of Ref 9
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2005, 01:25 am »
I wouldn't exactly call it a review...

More like an ad or extension of the NuForce website. :lol:  

George

arthurs

6 Moons Review of Ref 9
« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2005, 01:35 am »
Amen George..... :shake:

trekker

6 Moons Review of Ref 9
« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2005, 01:40 am »
Ooops, I didn't get to fully read it before posting  :oops:   I was about to read it and my wife told me it was dinner time.

Captain Humble

6 Moons Review of Ref 9
« Reply #4 on: 14 Sep 2005, 01:40 am »
Amazing!
Maybe they forgot a link to page 2. :scratch:

zybar

• Volunteer
6 Moons Review of Ref 9
« Reply #5 on: 14 Sep 2005, 01:45 am »
Quote from: Captain Humble
Amazing!

Nah...

Srajan has a history of posting a page like this before the actual review.

Other than advertising, not sure what value there is in it.

Hopefully it won't be too long before an actual review is available.

George

JohnnyLightOn

6 Moons Review of Ref 9
« Reply #6 on: 14 Sep 2005, 01:54 am »
If you look on 6moons' main Audio Reviews page, it says "Intro" in the listing for the Reference 9.  It's a kind of teaser before the real review is posted, to whet your appetite.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
6 Moons Review of Ref 9
« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2005, 05:41 am »
Guess what, even I just found out about the 6moons Ref 9 preview on this thread. Well, no complain from me  :P

Jon L

6 Moons Review of Ref 9
« Reply #8 on: 14 Sep 2005, 07:56 am »
Quote from: zybar
Quote from: Captain Humble
Amazing!

Nah...

Srajan has a history of posting a page like this before the actual review.

Other than advertising, not sure what value there is in it.

Hopefully it won't be too long before an actual review is available.

George

I really hate these "teaser reviews" 6Moons posts.  I hate reading it intently just to find out there's no finish.  I hate having to go back constantly to see if the rest of the review has been posted yet.  

6Moons reviews in general are badly in need of concise efficiency and more concentration on how something actually sounds IMO.

DeanSheen

6 Moons Review of Ref 9
« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2005, 01:37 pm »
6Moons reviews in general are badly in need of concise efficiency and more concentration on how something actually sounds IMO.

What he said.

arthurs

6 Moons Review of Ref 9
« Reply #10 on: 14 Sep 2005, 01:56 pm »
Quote:

What he said.

What he said about what he said....

Agisthos

6 Moons Review of Ref 9
« Reply #11 on: 15 Sep 2005, 09:57 am »
Quote from: Jon L

Amen brother.

Its a shame that a site like 6 moons has access to all this great underground audio equipment - and they waste it by writing about eveything BUT how it sounds, especially in comparison to like priced gear.

mr_bill

6 Moons Review of Ref 9
« Reply #12 on: 15 Sep 2005, 06:11 pm »
Boy do I agree with you guys.  Some of the 6 moons reviews make sense and are effective, but most of them are so concerned with writing in this grandiose, elaborate, flowery style that they don't make sense, don't make a point and are ineffective at conveying what the components sound like.

miklorsmith

6 Moons Review of Ref 9
« Reply #13 on: 15 Sep 2005, 06:54 pm »
I disagree.  Describing sound is very difficult.  I find I connect with the reviews on this site better than most.  I have had very similar equipment to Srajan and find he really gets the descriptions right with equipment I know well.  The writing is fairly advanced and pulls some obscure references to make points.  Some people surely don't like this, but I find it adds quality.

To me, the writing is fun to read and correlates with my personal experience.  It's a huge bonus that I'm on a similar Realsizing-type adventure, though without the huge access that Srajan has.

I also appreciate they aren't doing the same cookie-cutter stuff that has become ubiquitous where you can almost predict what will be said about Brand Z cables.  I even find myself reading reviews of phono stages, and I don't own a single record!

guest1632

6 Moons Review of Ref 9
« Reply #14 on: 16 Sep 2005, 06:33 pm »
Quote from: nuforce-jason
Guess what, even I just found out about the 6moons Ref 9 preview on this thread. Well, no complain from me  :P

Hi Jason, Hey, what's with the 24VDC across the outputs. Suppose you use speeks like the one driver affair. You now have no protection against DC. Seems like for $1600 or $2300, that offset voltage should be nulled out somehow. I wouldn't even want to touch these til that voltage is gone.

Ray

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
6 Moons Review of Ref 9
« Reply #15 on: 16 Sep 2005, 07:56 pm »
Quote from: Ray Bronk

Hi Jason, Hey, what's with the 24VDC across the outputs.

Ray

There is NO 24VDC across the outputs, that wouldn't work.   The 24VDC is from the output relative to ground (i.e. put the volt meter between any of the speaker terminal and the chassis screw), with no significant current and any short circuit between speaker to ground will shut down the amps.  

The spec. of the DC offset between the speaker output terminals are <0.1V which is due to the component tolerances, such as opamp's inherant DC offset amplified 30x.

At times, being upfront by giving out too much information may not be a blessing....and created hyperthectical or perceived problems.  For example, DC offset is not exclusive to NuForce amplifier.  Icepower modules have DC offsets, so as many linear amplifiers that are few years old (As linear amplifiers aged, the deviates from the factory default spec.)

styx

6 Moons Review of Ref 9
« Reply #16 on: 9 Oct 2005, 02:58 pm »
It's updated! http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/nuforce2/9_3.html

*reads frantically*

Well, what can I say. Srajan likes tubes. To me, "harmonically developed" means "audible harmonic distortion". It's really not a bad review so far!

Too bad about the initial problems, though. Seems like better QA could be a worthwhile investment for NuForce... ;)

zybar

• Volunteer
6 Moons Review of Ref 9
« Reply #17 on: 9 Oct 2005, 03:22 pm »
Quote from: styx
It's updated! http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/nuforce2/9_3.html

*reads frantically*

Well, what can I say. Srajan likes tubes. To me, "harmonically developed" means "audible harmonic distortion". It's really not a bad review so far!

Too bad about the initial problems, though. Seems like better QA could be a worthwhile investment for NuForce... ;)

Not much different than what I posted when I compared the Ref 9 to the McCormack DNA-500.

George

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
6 Moons Review of Ref 9
« Reply #18 on: 9 Oct 2005, 09:09 pm »
The 9s with a solid-state or passive preamp are likewise lean, cool and ever so slightly on the whitish side of things, asking for just a small blood infusion from valves. Do that and presto - a winning recipe for still affordable high-power high-current transistor amplification that's dead-quiet even on ultra-efficient loudspeakers and will be considered statement by all but the most well-off audiophiles who shop the truly rarefied leagues. So much for the initial performance sketch

Quoting from Srajan's review, I would say we did pretty well being compared to those amps in "rarefied leagues"  :wink:
I think it is a matter of taste whether NuForce amp is lean or not. There are people who think that it is very tube like. But no agruement with Srajan here as his opinion is also shared by a few others who posted here.  People just have to audition the amps for themselves to find out.

NuForce was in a shootout with Simaudio W10 (a 750W monster Class A amp costing $10,000 a pair) and came very close. According to the unbiased person:
That being said, the W10s provided a warmer sound with more authority in the bass regions and a more relaxed presentation on the top end. The Nuforce won out in the imaging arena, with greater inner detail and image specificity.

For full review, see http://newaudiosociety.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=amp;action=display;num=1126283328;start=21#21

When we first started out 6 months ago, I was affraid that NuForce will be labeled as a digital amp and compared to a crop of other switching amps and being perceived as just value for the money. It is amazing that we are now being measured against some of the very bests.  We want to build the best amps in the world, not best amp within a certain price range  :lol:

zybar

• Volunteer
6 Moons Review of Ref 9
« Reply #19 on: 9 Oct 2005, 09:54 pm »
I agree that just having people compare your products to other products costing 3x and 4x yours is quite an accomplishment.

That was one of the points I was trying to make in my review.

Great job Nuforce and I hope that you someday truly create the dragon slayer we are all looking for.

George