PI Audio Group Diffusers

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: PI Audio Group Diffusers
« Reply #180 on: 10 Feb 2011, 04:21 am »
Instead of velcro, I much prefer using 3M Dual Lock Low Profile Reclosable Fasteners. It'll support much more weight than velcro, have a tighter profile fit with less spacing than velcro and unlike velco that just sticks to itself, this stuff locks to itself which makes it much more secure.

Cheers,
Robin

TomS

« Reply #181 on: 11 Feb 2011, 12:04 am »
Three views of the solution.  Standard 16:9 screen, screen with masking strips attached for 2.35:1 widescreen, and finally the new "diffuser mode". The mask strips have neo magnets embedded in lightweight 1/2" rigid foam (on the floor in first picture), so they just sort of "stick" to the screen. Then, I mounted the ABB's on 1/8" hardboard with Loctite Foamboard glue DAP Acrylic Latex Caulk, small blocks on the 4 corners with felt pads, and 1" velcro straps to attach over the top, which worked out great. Noxudul 3100/3101 soundproofing will be painted on the back of the laminate screen to deaden the ringing. It works great on high end boats and such so I suspect it will work well here.

It takes just a couple minutes to remove or re-attach them. My main concern now is that they'll get chipped up pretty badly over time without protection on the outer edges. I didn't plan for that in the sizing so I'll just have to see how that goes.

More pics in my gallery http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=4860

Thanks Igor for turning these around so quickly. Even with the blizzards, they arrived in just a few days in Indiana.

« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2011, 03:55 am by TomS »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #182 on: 11 Feb 2011, 12:37 am »
That's beautiful!   :thumb:

How does it sound with them? 

I'd recommend some fiberglass resin on the edges to prevent chips. 

Charles Xavier

« Reply #183 on: 11 Feb 2011, 12:43 am »
Three views of the solution.  Standard 16:9 screen, screen with masking strips attached for 2.35:1 widescreen, and finally the new "diffuser mode". The mask strips have neo magnets embedded in lightweight 1/2" rigid foam (on the floor in first picture), so they just sort of "stick" to the screen. Then, I mounted the ABB's on 1/8" hardboard with Loctite Foamboard glue, small blocks on the 4 corners with felt pads, and 1" velcro straps to attach over the top, which worked out great. Noxudul 3100/3101 soundproofing will be painted on the back of the laminate screen to deaden the ringing. It works great on high end boats and such so I suspect it will work well here.

It takes just a couple minutes to remove or re-attach them. My main concern now is that they'll get chipped up pretty badly over time without protection on the outer edges. I didn't plan for that in the sizing so I'll just have to see how that goes.

More pics in my gallery http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=4860

Thanks Igor for turning these around so quickly. Even with the blizzards, they arrived in just a few days in Indiana.

Looks great . I tried to build a lightweight frame for them also because I too was afraid of damaging the edges but it didnt work out . I didn't want to put the frame on my plasma.So I did the hanger approach. Like I said i tried the velcro which would have been ideal but the heat from the TV didn't let it stick for long.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #184 on: 11 Feb 2011, 12:44 am »

can you elaborate

jimdgoulding

« Reply #185 on: 11 Feb 2011, 12:55 am »
What a nice looking set up.  Bet it works as well as it looks. 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #186 on: 11 Feb 2011, 01:44 am »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!  If you are talking polyester resin that won''t work!  Styrene monomer is the base for the EPS as well as good old Evercoat from Home Teapot or other bigbox.  It will dissolve the foam in a heart beat or less.  Epoxy resin WILL work and work well.  The epoxy table coat resins are great for this, but I always recommend that you test any adhesive on the back of one of the panels if there is any doubt.

Dave

TomS

« Reply #187 on: 11 Feb 2011, 03:20 am »

I need to get some time in the saddle with them. Hoping for this weekend but my wife just listed about 5 or 6 different events requiring attendance :?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #188 on: 11 Feb 2011, 12:35 pm »
I need to get some time in the saddle with them. Hoping for this weekend but my wife just listed about 5 or 6 different events requiring attendance :?

Gotcha!  Just make sure you list the one event that requires your attendance.   :wink: