Bought a used system last week, how did I do?

SCUBADON

• http://24SCUBA.COM
« on: 15 Jan 2004, 02:56 am »
This is my first post. I have been reading from you guys for about a week, thanks for all the great info.

This is what I got: VMPS RM40'S (PIANO BLACK), WADIA 21 CD PLAYER, AUDIO RESEARCH D 300 AMP.  Included in the auction items, but not being used were an AUDIO RESEARCH LS3 PRE AMP, AND A B&O TURNTABLE (the one with the lenier tracking arm).

I went direct from the Wadia to the Amp via balanced cables to the VMPS. This is my first shot at high end audio in about 25 years. I cannot beleave how good it sounds, and wish I could have done it sooner.

I paid $3,200 for the system.  How did I do?

Thanks for your comments.

SCUBADON

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2004, 03:02 am »
$3200  :beer: You did GREAT.  That's a very, very nice setup you've got.

Marbles

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2004, 03:04 am »
$3200!!!!! you SUCK!!!!

You stole that system.........

If we didn't say it, we hate you!

Hope it brings you many happy times. (really)

You got a really really good deal on that stuff.

warnerwh

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2004, 03:17 am »
That's an incredible price. Be sure you learn how to tune the RM 40 passive radiator so you can make them sound even better.  Cheers to re entrance into audio.

ekovalsky

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2004, 03:25 am »
You belong in jail for grand larceny!

Seriously that's a smoking deal.  You paid a reasonable price for the RM40's, basically everything else was gratis!

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2004, 04:27 am »
Errr....did you plug everything in to see if it works????

That's a great price just for the RM-40's.

If you do this good in the stock market I will give you some cash!!

Larry

SCUBADON

yes
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2004, 04:43 am »
Everything is perfect.  I heard it at the live auction.  They connected the RM 40's to the amp with #8 romex household electrical cable.  The innerconnect was K Mart $1.99 RCA Cables that were very old.  The CD they palyed was a home recorded 1960's country music CD, poorly done at that, probably off an MP3. It was in a "barn".  Didn't sound so great, but I had read reviews on just about everything and decided to take a chance.

I don't do much with the stock market, but I have spent some good times in Las Vegas!

Thanks for the reply

F-100

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2004, 05:28 am »
If everything is fully functional, you just hit the jackpot :-)
Congratulation!!!

ehider

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2004, 07:24 am »
Uh...errr, you stole the farm!

Here are some analogies for you to understand how good a deal you got. It's sort of like:

What if you managed to buy a 2003 Vette convertable, in mint condition, low miles (and obviously still under warranty) for $8,000?

What if you managed to buy a 5000 sq. ft home, smack dab in the middle of Beverly Hills for $90,000?

What if you managed to buy a first class ticket to Paris with 10 playboy bunnies along for the ride that heeded your every desire for $100?

O.K., I know my last analogy was a huuuuuuuuuuge stretch, but you get my point!

Q

Re: Bought a used system last week, how did I do?
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2004, 12:35 pm »
Quote from: SCUBADON
This is my first post. I have been reading from you guys for about a week, thanks for all the great info.

This is what I got: VMPS RM40'S (PIANO BLACK), WADIA 21 CD PLAYER, AUDIO RESEARCH D 300 AMP.  Included in the auction items, but not being used were an AUDIO RESEARCH LS3 PRE AMP, AND A B&O TURNTABLE (the one with the lenier tracking arm).

I went direct from the Wadia to the Amp via balanced cables to the VMPS. This is my first shot at high end audio in about 25 years. I cannot beleave how good it ...

WOW!  Never got a deal that good, but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express!
The B&O is nice, but you have to use B&O cartridges..which I dont even know if they still make that stuff.  I believe that the AR 300 and LS3 is tubed...you may want to buy new tubes soon, as you have no idea how many hours on them.  Long term, consider the upgrades available (and yet to be available) from VMPS.

ekovalsky

Re: Bought a used system last week, how did I do?
« Reply #10 on: 16 Jan 2004, 02:21 am »
Quote from: Q
I believe that the AR 300 and LS3 is tubed...you may want to buy new tubes soon, as you have no idea how many hours on them.  

Actually the D300 & LS3 are rare solid state products from Audio Research.  Both well regarded in their day and probably still very competent.

I'd consider selling the D300 and LS3and getting a good remote controlled integrated amp.  I know Jeff Rowland is coming out with an ICEpower integrated soon that will be very reasonably priced (for him).  

Also you could consider upgrading the RM40's with better crossover capacitors (TRT or Auricaps), the free swinging ribbon tweeter (if dressplates have been made available), and the pedestal base if you have kids or a big pet.  

And I'd check to see if Wadia could update the 21 player.  If not, I'd sell it and the turntable (unless you already have a big vinyl collection) and get a new digital front end.  The Shanling players look and sound great and are inexpensive.  Plus they can be upgraded by Parts Connexion to a very high performing unit if desired.

ctviggen

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jan 2004, 08:47 pm »
How hard is it to do the FST upgrade?  There are VMPS speakers on Audigon for 3k that include the TRT caps.

Horsehead

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jan 2004, 09:02 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
How hard is it to do the FST upgrade?  There are VMPS speakers on Audigon for 3k that include the TRT caps.

I waited close to 6 months to do the FST upgrades.  Bought a new soldering iron, solder, the FSTs, and waited and waited and waited (you get the idea :mrgreen: )for the dressplates.  I would not cut the baffle until I had the dressplates. They never came so I sent the FSTs back for a refund.  I would not buy the FSTs unless you know there are dressplates made already.

I also waited for the new bases that never came and had to cancel that order as well.

ctviggen

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jan 2004, 05:44 pm »
Are you happy with the RM-40s without the FST?  In other words, how much of a benefit is the FST?  And what would the speaker look like without the dressplates?

ekovalsky

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jan 2004, 05:59 pm »
My RM-40 pair had the original spiral ribbon tweeter pair.  The FST, which the RM/X has, has better extension at its lower end.  This allows the crossover to the midrange to be lowered to 7khz from 10khz, which I think improves the performance of the midrange panels.

The FST is also more sensitive than the spiral ribbon tweeters, allowing a single driver to handle the high frequency range even in a big system like the RM/X.

The FST sounds fantastic, but so did the spiral ribbons.  Although they may not be exactly the same, the VMPS spiral ribbons look very, very similar to the ones used by Genesis in its high end systems, including the $135,000 Model 1.1.

If I were ordering a new RM-40 system I'd certainly go for the upgraded tweeter.   It is probably worth upgrading the older models (mainly for the improvement on the midrange panels) ONLY IF a satisfactory cosmetic result can be obtained.  In order words, no dressplates = no upgrade.

Like Horsehead suggests, I'd check with Big B on the availability of the dressplates and order the FST upgrade kit only if he can send the dressplates with the new new tweeters and crossover parts.

SCUBADON

I'm happy
« Reply #15 on: 19 Jan 2004, 05:46 pm »
Thanks for your comments.  I like the way the RM 40's sound right now.  I think I would have to audition a pair with the upgrades before I did it just because.  

The new model of my Wadia 21 Transport is $7,200. I don't think I could justify that right now, plus the Wadia 21 works just fine.

I am not using the turntable or pre amp and do not intend to.

I am going strait from the Wadia 21 to the amp to the RM40's.   KISS
I think the pre amp in the Wadia 21 is as good as I an going to be able to afford. The fewer the number of components, the fewer connections, the better the sound, in theory.

Most of the advise I have received is first to upgrade the amp with tube amps.  This is probably what I will do. Or not, because I am happy for now with what I got.

Once again, thanks for the information.

SCUBADON