My VMPS Experience: A short story

wshuff

« on: 18 Dec 2003, 05:26 am »
Due to a change in my marital status (I got married!  Again!), I've spent the last six months traveling back and forth between my home and the city where my wife is doing her medical residency.  During that time, I've spent more time away from home than home.  And home is where the VMPS is.  I've had a pair of stock-cap, spiral tweeter 626Rs and an LRC for a little more than a year, and I've been nothing but pleased with the performance.  But these days, I spend more time reading about other people's experiences than having my own.  I basically visit my speakers and equipment on the weekends.

So I get home tonight and find that my heat pump isn't working, so it's about 50 degrees in my house.  I hate it when you can see your breath indoors.  So here I am, sitting on my couch, wearing a sweatshirt and fleece, buried under a comforter waiting for my oil furnace to kick in.  And while I wait, I have a CD playing.  I don't even know what it is.  I think it is called Classics Go to the Movies.  I think I just listened to a song from Excalibur.  Regardless, I've been having chills and it has nothing to do with the temperature.  Now, I'm like everyone else, I get caught up in the latest and the greatest, I can't wait to someday put a pair of the new RM30s in my room, I'd love to try something besides my Sherbourn amp, maybe one of those new digital amps everybody is raving about, maybe something from Odyssey, in a real dreamworld maybe something from Pass.  Still, sitting here, just listening and enjoying what I already have after a long absence, it is hard to believe that it could ever be THAT much better than it is right now.  And I guess that's what it's all about.  It's great to upgrade, and tweak, and whatever, but man, we gotta take some time just to enjoy the moment.  Because from where I'm sitting (freezing my butt off), the moment sounds pretty nice.

John Casler

« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2003, 05:46 am »
Because from where I'm sitting (freezing my butt off), the moment sounds pretty nice.

Man, do I like those moments!!!   :mrgreen:

Although here in Los Angeles, we don't freeze our butts off :nono: )

Q

Re: My VMPS Experience: A short story
« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2003, 12:32 pm »
Quote from: wshuff
 And home is where the VMPS is.   ...

Awwwwwwwwwwwww, how sweet!

wshuff

« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2003, 01:33 pm »
Awwwwwwwwwwwww, how sweet!

It must have been the cold induced psychosis because I didn't actually intend it that way.  But I guess it worked.  

And John, please no rubbing it in.  Kentucky ain't the coldest place in the world, but we are damp and cold, and that isn't a good combination when the heat isn't working.  Of course, living in the mountains, we also have some forest fires, but they are comparitively mild compared to other places.   :lol:

What I need right now is a huge stack of Pass amps to heat the house.  That might be cheaper than the price of oil.

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2003, 04:43 pm »
Well I've heard of "cryo-treating" your gear, but not the air between you and the speakers.

Guess it could work :lol:  :lol: