Anybody going to replace RM40s with the RM30s?

wshuff

« on: 9 Dec 2003, 10:58 pm »
It's kinda quiet in here waiting on the pics of the RM30, so I figured I'd help waste the time.  

I'm sure that there are plenty of people, like me, who are considering upgrading to the RM30, but are there any people thinking of a "downgrade" from something like the RM40?  Just curious.

SWG255

Re: Anybody going to replace RM40s with the RM30s?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2003, 11:44 pm »
Not me! I love my RM40s, and although they are perhaps physically too large for my listening room, they don't sound too large in it. They load the room less than my Sunfire subwoofer, and yet with the DSOTM SACD, they sound like they go deeper than the Sunfire. This is without any attempt to tune them yet. If I were putting a multi-channel system together, the RM30s would be the ticket, but I'm sticking with good old stereo for the foreseeable future.

Quote from: wshuff
It's kinda quiet in here waiting on the pics of the RM30, so I figured I'd help waste the time.  

I'm sure that there are plenty of people, like me, who are considering upgrading to the RM30, but are there any people thinking of a "downgrade" from something like the RM40?  Just curious.

jgubman

« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2003, 12:03 am »
I just about broke my (and my brother-in-law's) back moving them in, now you want me to "downgrade" them?

I don't think so. Plus, there's something cool about having speakers that are bigger than my wife. At least I know she'll never move them while dusting or rearrange them to look "prettier" in the room!!

wshuff

« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2003, 12:05 am »
:lol: Even the RM30s are probably taller than my wife!

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2003, 04:50 am »
Sad and Happy to say I just sold my RM40s :bawl: / :rotflmao:   with the intention of replacing them with the MLS FST RM40s.

I love large speakers and the RM40 fills the bill, but I'll be at CES and the potential of the RM30 seems to be growing as one H--l of a speaker value.

I mean $3500 for a SoundCoated, FST equipped, side woofin speaker is potentially one of the bset bargains in High End (if you like VMPS like I do)

So while I wasn't originally thinking of the RM30, it could make some big points at CES.

And the excitement builds as I have clients readying their orders so as to "get in line" as we speak.  Such is the remarkable confidence in Big B and his speaker designing prowess 8)

wshuff

« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2003, 05:08 am »
Well John, I'm happy and sad for you.   :D

Please do post some pics of this new MLS model once you get 'em.  Inquiring minds and all that.

audiochef

trade down to Rm30s
« Reply #6 on: 10 Dec 2003, 05:42 am »
Yes it has been quiet here, but as for me,  trade down to anything else?

Not a chance!!!!!

ekovalsky

« Reply #7 on: 10 Dec 2003, 05:56 am »
Glad I sold my Rm-40's before the hype for these started...

I look forward to the RM-30c as my center channel and a pair of RM-30m as my rear surrounds, with the RM-X of course for the front L & R.  

What we need now is a digital processor which can do surround sound, multichannel SACD/DVD, or trinaural from 2 ch stereo.  Whatever James does with analog in the TriP could certainly be accomplished with a programmable DSP too.   Should suggest this to Ed Meitner for his upcoming DCC-2, one of the other reasons I'm looking forward to CES.

audiochef

trade down toRm30s
« Reply #8 on: 10 Dec 2003, 05:56 am »
I do wish the best of luck to RM30s at CES though and hope they're at least as succesful as the underrated RM40s.

Sa-dono

« Reply #9 on: 10 Dec 2003, 05:57 am »
Quote from: John Casler
Sad and Happy to say I just sold my RM40s :bawl: / :rotflmao:   with the intention of replacing them with the MLS FST RM40s.

I love large speakers and the RM40 fills the bill, but I'll be at CES and the potential of the RM30 seems to be growing as one H--l of a speaker value.

I mean $3500 for a SoundCoated, FST equipped, side woofin speaker is potentially one of the bset bargains in High End (if you like VMPS like I do)

So while I wasn't originally thinking of the RM30, it could make some big point ...

Why not sell the 626R's and/or RM2's (I believe that's what you have?), and buy a pair of RM30's as well if they don't surpass the RM40's? :mrgreen:

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 10 Dec 2003, 01:47 pm »
Not me....I admit at first it was a thought, seeing as I am going to continue to be a NYC apartment dweller for the foreseeable future.   However, the RM40's like someone else said, look as though they should overload my room but actually they don't.  Granted, I am using only a tiny fraction of the headroom of my amp.

Instead what I did was make a call and got the ball rolling on my FST/TRT upgrade to my RM40's!   It is going to take a while though with CES in sight and the finalization of the RM30's still on the front burner of Big B.  My wife is getting an expensive dare I say frivilous x-mas gift so I am getting the upgrades.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #11 on: 10 Dec 2003, 01:54 pm »
Josh,

How are you upgrading?

When I talked to Brian, the FST tweeter upgrade means cutting the cabinet to install.

GW

JoshK

« Reply #12 on: 10 Dec 2003, 02:11 pm »
Yep, there will be use of the jigsaw.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #13 on: 10 Dec 2003, 02:13 pm »
Good luck!!

Keep us posted on how it goes.

GW

audiochef

trade down
« Reply #14 on: 10 Dec 2003, 05:47 pm »
Josh, what are your caps?

JoshK

« Reply #15 on: 10 Dec 2003, 06:02 pm »
standard....I had one of the first pairs of RM40's, ordered before the CES that they won, back before there were options for caps.

rblnr

« Reply #16 on: 10 Dec 2003, 07:38 pm »
What we need now is a digital processor which can do surround sound, multichannel SACD/DVD, or trinaural from 2 ch stereo.  Whatever James does with analog in the TriP could certainly be accomplished with a programmable DSP too.   Should suggest this to Ed Meitner for his upcoming DCC-2, one of the other reasons I'm looking forward to CES

Look at the Meridian processors --  they have Trifield which I listen to via a  2xRM40 + LRC (TRT/FST on all) setup -- I like it better than straight stereo w/most music.  Conceptually, I think it's pretty similar to Trinaural, intending to address the same issues.  2ch/multichannel DVD-A sounds phenomenal w/Meridian, digitally transferred from the transport to the processor.  SACD requires use of the analog multichannel input.  With the rig you're putting together -- I think Meridian would be awesome.  Sounds great w/redbook CD as well.

SWG255

Use of a jigsaw!
« Reply #17 on: 10 Dec 2003, 10:42 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
Yep, there will be use of the jigsaw.

Josh,

I'm sure glad I bought my RM40s with the TRT & FST already instaled at the factory! <grin> I would be way too dangerous with a jigsaw...

John Casler

« Reply #18 on: 11 Dec 2003, 05:05 am »
Why not sell the 626R's and/or RM2's (I believe that's what you have?), and buy a pair of RM30's as well if they don't surpass the RM40's?

Man!! this guy is always wanting to spend my money :lol:  :lol:

Really the problem is that it is hard to let go of VMPS speakers once I have them.

I really hated to see those 40s drive away. :bawl:  (but they did go to a nice home and will be fed "tubes" for breakfast lunch and dinner.)

Sa-dono

« Reply #19 on: 11 Dec 2003, 05:25 am »
Quote from: John Casler
Why not sell the 626R's and/or RM2's (I believe that's what you have?), and buy a pair of RM30's as well if they don't surpass the RM40's?

Man!! this guy is always wanting to spend my money :lol:  :lol:

And look how happy you were when you finally bought those 626-R's! :thumb: The RM-30's do appear rather intriguining. Maybe they'll be enough to make me want to make the trip to CES :mrgreen: That or I need to make a *secret* trip over to where Brian is holding the speakers... :lol:

Really the problem is that it is hard to let go of VMPS speakers once I have them.

Fair enough. :)