626R Review in Positive Feedback

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com

Horsehead

« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2003, 01:09 am »
That's quite an old version of the 626R in the picture is it not?  Too bad he can't post a nice current one with the newer Neo-panel and FST tweeter.  Any RM/X reviews in the works?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2003, 01:25 am »
I'm suprised the tone of the review isn't more positive.  Yes, he says all good things, but spends half the article comparing the 626R's bass to a floorstander like the RM-2, a completely invalid comparison.  Seriously taints the review.  It's almost like he does not understand fully the different strengths of floorstanders (more, usually better, bass) vs. bookshelves (better imaging and soundstage).  Between this and the lukewarm review of the GR Research Diluceo's (from a different reviewer), I gotta wonder what the hell these people consider "excellent" sound in bookshelf speakers.

Then he goes on to say that the tweeter isn't worth the $400 upgrade, well I've heard the 626R's w/the Spriral tweeter and FST tweeter in an A-B comparison and it's easily worth the paltry $400 VMPS charges.  More air, sparkle, and much better imaging (breaks completely free of the speakers).

audionoob

« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2003, 03:58 am »
I think the reviewer only gripe is about the bass. I believe Brian mentioned that his 626R comes overdamped. One should take out some fibre from the cabinet to improve bass response.

Tim S

« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2003, 12:45 pm »
Quote from: Horsehead
That's quite an old version of the 626R in the picture is it not?  Too bad he can't post a nice current one with the newer Neo-panel and FST tweeter.  Any RM/X reviews in the works?

Actually it looks like he had the version with the new tweeter (which he says is less worthy of $400 than adding a subwoofer) and that his speakers were in a "glossy black" finish. So I'm pretty sure the picture isn't of the actual review pair.

Tim

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2003, 02:33 am »
Quote from: Tyson
I'm suprised the tone of the review isn't more positive.  Yes, he says all good things, but spends half the article comparing the 626R's bass to a floorstander like the RM-2, a completely invalid comparison.  Seriously taints the review.  It's almost like he does not understand fully the different strengths of floorstanders (more, usually better, bass) vs. bookshelves (better imaging and soundstage)....

Yeah, while the overall "tone" of the review was positive, I too have to say, that this just goes to show how room and system dependant speakers are.

When I first got my 626Rs, I think I probably found the bass response the most incredible thing about them.  I remember calling Big B and asking why he didn't emphasize this more.  He actually said that the reason they had more bass was because of the FST.  Balanced frequencies and complimenting harmonics and such.

But in any event, when we did the Biro/Ref One comparison I ran the numbers on a test disc and it certainly showed the 626R had usable response down to 25hz!!! in my room.

In any event it was a good review overall and since the reviewer uses the Sound Dynamics 300ti's as reference speaker, I would think he would be installing a new reference pretty soon.

I've had the 300ti's in my system for a couple weeks (my distributor used to carry Sound Dynamics) and no matter what HP says, they can't hold a candle to the 626Rs in any area except they are both great values. (the 300ti was about $300 pr)