Playstation Vita review

Rclark

Playstation Vita review
« on: 2 Nov 2013, 08:02 pm »
So the remote play feature was just way too tempting and since it works like that day 1 for every ps4 title I had to have one. Picked up a mem card and killzone mercenaries as well.

also, as a ps+ member I have downloaded every Vita game they gave, so I already have a library of titles. Review to follow and remote play update at ps4 launch.

Woodsea

Re: Playstation Vita review
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2013, 08:21 pm »
You can pick up a vita refurb at [url]https://www.cowboom.com//[url] for about $125 shipped today.  Nov 2, 2013
« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2013, 12:35 am by Woodsea »

Rclark

« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2013, 06:36 pm »
Wow  :thumb:

Should have bought this thing a long time ago! Wow!

First of all the games. Wow! Was not expecting it to be this powerful. I have a Galaxy S4 and is considered to be pretty top of the line for cell phone gaming, and it puts out really gorgeous 3D graphics, but this Vita just stomps a mud hole into the S4. It's very much like having a ps3 in your pocket with all the bells and whistles. Then there is CONTROL.

Gaming on a cellphone (anything other than a simple interface like candy crush), driving games, action games, shooters, is kind of like having sex without a partner. Something definitely missing. Swiping the screen gets irritating and is just not ideal. Vita gives you that full on, twin analogue stick experience, and the control is just oh so accurate and lovely on this thing.

Features are great, this device does everything except make a phone call, and many of the apps I found to be superior to the phone version such as Music Unlimited.

The connectivity is great, you get multiplayer with voice chat, everything you'd expect with a full tv console!

Games. Played Killzone Mercenaries which actually stunned me by how good it plays. I just beat KZ3 on the ps3 in anticipation of Killzone Shadow Fall here on the ps4 in a week, and this handheld version might actually be better! Frantic, exciting gameplay, great AI ( :o) for a handheld, and just...GORGEOUS graphics, ps3 in your pocket indeed.

Also have Uncharted, Rayman, Wipeout, Tekken, and some other stuff haven't tried yet, but it's all the same. Fantastic!

If you enjoy mobile gaming but want a more complete experience and hate using touchpad as main input, you want sticks and face buttons and a d pad, etc, this is exactly what you're after.

Battery life is an astounding 5 hours at max brightness, online connected, in game. Sony magic there.

5/5 incredible device! Came for ps4 remote play (run you ps4 on this Vita via wifi), stunned by the capabilities of the device on its own merits, and not just as a small ps4.

Rclark

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2013, 06:57 pm »
Oh another thing, the OS/User interface is fantastic! Shades of ps4 perhaps.

You can be in a game, hit the PS button and be instantly on the dashboard, start another app or two, bounce out of those, scroll back to the game and be instantly back where you left off, seamlessly. Just brilliant multitasking.  Nothing about this device is slow or clunky. A marvel.

Woodsea

« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2013, 06:00 pm »
For $125 it is worth it.  But, not for much more.  Their are other handhelds, like the nvidia that knocks the socks off this.  If you are married to the Playstation arena $125 is a great purchase, if you gotta one.

Rclark

« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2013, 07:08 am »
That Nvidia is a joke though, there's no software for it, unless you use it to stream your pc, and it's clunky and huge, I would'nt carry one in public.

The Vita is amazing. I have a top spec phone and the Vita kills it. And is the only portable streamer that will work with PS4 games, which looks to be a killer app all its own.

Woodsea

« Reply #6 on: 9 Nov 2013, 06:44 pm »
The Vita was a joke when it came out, that is why sales in North America were dismal.  There are much better games on 3ds than the vita.   The Shield has more of a life cycle than the Vita, because it can play PC as well as Android games.  Android has grown exponentially and has countless more avenues for getting games onto the shield than Sony can do on the Vita. http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/Nvidia+news/news.asp?c=55143
I declined on getting the Vita for $125, just was going to collect dust.  But the next shield will be my next hand held purchase http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/21/nvidia-ceo-jen-hsun-huang-interview-october-2013/

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 9 Nov 2013, 11:51 pm »
3ds is nice for Nintendo games, but the Vita is far more high end. And I have two Android devices, they're great for casual style touchscreen gaming, but the Vita is a true gaming system.

And streaming PS4 remotely tops all.

Be honest,  Vita wasn't on my radar at all, till remote play. As you can see in my review above though, it's a HELL of a console all on its own. You should try one, might surprise you! Surprised me!