Help with PC issue - Network adapter / Ethernet

viggen

Help with PC issue - Network adapter / Ethernet
« on: 20 Jul 2019, 05:23 am »
So, a week ago, I upgraded my router-wifi combo.  I just moved into a larger place, so I needed a stronger router to get reception at the other end of the house.  I also got to position the router next to my stereo, so I could finally connect the ethernet cable directly into the MB and turn the wifi off.

My stereo sounded much much smoother as result.  Then, a day later, the smoothness went away.  I thought perhaps it was placebo wearing off and the smoothness was in my head.  I checked my PC and found it was now connected to internet via wifi. 

I successfully connected laptop to router via ethernet, so the router should be fine.  I then checked the PC's device manager and found the drivers for the two RJ45 ports are missing.  I first deleted device from device manager and rebooted.  PC discovers device but driver is still missing.  Then, I searched for the right drivers on the internet and downloaded it then tried to install driver.  When installing, PC tells me I could not install because hardware not found.  I then reformatted my PC hoping it will return it to original state.  But, ethernet driver still missing afterwards.

After more google searching, I found other possibilities are hardware related.  Either my CPU (bent pins?) or MB is faulty.  I replaced my MB just now, but this did not fix the issue with the ethernet ports.  So, it has to be the CPU?  I inspected the pins but couldn't find any bent pins not that I trust my eyes much.

I also bought an USB ethernet adapter.  And, I was able to connect PC via ethernet this way.  The smoothness is back.  So, it wasn't just in my head. 

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me that the ethernet issue could be the CPU.  So, before I buy another CPU, could someone please help point me to what could be causing the problem?  Or, is it really a CPU issue?

Below is my build:

MB: Gigabyte GA-110TN-GSM Plus

CPU: i3-7100T

Storage: Samsung 960 MSATA EVO 250gb

USB card: Matrix Element H X-HI PCIe

PSU: ZeroZone R-Core 20v 4amp for MB

PSU: ifi iPower 12v 1.8amp for USB card

Optomizers: Fidelizer Pro and Jplay with Virtual Audio Cable 

CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 Passive
« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2019, 02:16 am by viggen »

Doublej

Re: Help with PC issue - Network adapter / Ethernet
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2019, 10:40 am »
It's highly unlikely but inexpensive to try, did you swap out the ethernet cable for a different one, preferably from a different manufacturer?

viggen

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2019, 01:22 pm »
Yup... done that already...  Thanks for the thip though.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2019, 01:49 pm »
After your reformatted your drive and loaded the OS, did you try the Ethernet before reloading Fidelizer to see if the Ethernet port was there? 

Doubt the CPU is bad as it worked before.

viggen

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jul 2019, 07:49 pm »
Yes.  More precisely, I am not able to install fidelizer.  According to Kee, it seems fid won't install if my network adapter driver is missing... catch 22.

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jul 2019, 08:52 pm »
A wild guess but installing Windows 10 would solve your problem. Search to see if the Asrock ethernet drivers are compatible with 2016 Server Desktop.
If everything was working perfectly before the switch then unplug everything, get the PC as stripped down a possible just keyboard, mouse and monitor. Reboot and check your BIOS to make sure there wasn't a burp and the ethernet ports are still enabled. I never had a CPU go bad so I doubt that is the solution.
AC member srb is our resident expert on such things.

viggen

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2019, 02:22 am »
The network adapter driver for w10 and server should be the same:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26092/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-Server-2016-

I even attempted to install driver that came in the CD with the MB.  But, same issue.  Can't install driver because hardware not found.

I forgot to delete "asrock" from my hardware list as I was choosing between Asrock and Gigabyte and went with the latter.

I did go into BIOS to ensure my lan is enabled which they are fine. 

I got a little impatient and went on ebay last night to see whether I could find a good deal on a CPU.  I did find an i5 6400t skylake for under a bill.  I should get it in a few days. 

viggen

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2019, 11:22 pm »
So, I installed the new CPU.  The problem didn't go away.  In fact, it has worsened.  Now, when using vb audio hifi cable, whatever ASIO device I select remains "Stopped".

I've swapped back to my original CPU, but this didn't fix the vb audio issue.  So, for now, my audio PC is rendered useless as an audio PC. 

Now, I think I figured out the root of the problem.  I think it's the router.  It all started after I added the router.  And, I think I might've exacerbated the situation by not using the correct AC adapter for the router.  When I swapped out the old router for the new, I used the same AC adapter for the new router thinking they have the same values. 

The writing on the AC adapter is too small for my eyes to read, so i can't verify whether they are the same values or not.  However, I am assuming they are different values.  The router still works.  But, maybe because the audio PC is connected to the new router with wrong AC adapter via ethernet adapter, this caused the PC's ethernet port to get fried? 

That's the only thing I have to go on for now. 

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2019, 11:38 pm »
Whenever I can't read small or worn text I take a photo, then I can make the text big and enhance the contrast on the screen.

Doublej

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jul 2019, 12:04 pm »
Some manufacturers have the power adapter details as part of a device's specifications on their website. Might be worth checking.

It doesn't make sense to me that you would have fried the ethernet port by having the wrong voltage on the router power supply. The router is not supplying power to the PC's ethernet port and the router should be providing an output signal level on the ethernet cable that is independent of the power supply voltage to it.

audioengr

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jul 2019, 04:21 pm »
Now that you have wired Ethernet at your DAC, you should not be using the router to DAC anyway.  Add a good audiophile switch to the router and use this to drive your DAC.  This will solve everything and sound a LOT better.  I use the SOtM switch BTW, but there are cheaper options.

Steve N.

Doublej

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jul 2019, 10:00 pm »
Now that you have wired Ethernet at your DAC, you should not be using the router to DAC anyway.  Add a good audiophile switch to the router and use this to drive your DAC.  This will solve everything and sound a LOT better.  I use the SOtM switch BTW, but there are cheaper options.

Steve N.

Are there cheaper audiophile switch options or just cheaper switch options?

viggen

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jul 2019, 03:22 pm »
Yah that's what I do usually when something is too small for me to read... take a pic of it with my cell phone then enlarge it on my cell's screen.  I got lazy and paying for it now.... assuming the fault is the ac adapter.

I kinda knew ethernet only provides signal level output.  But, the router is the only thing I can narrow it down to..

My dac doesn't have ethernet input.  The ethernet is going into my PC's motherboard.

audioengr

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jul 2019, 04:50 pm »
Are there cheaper audiophile switch options or just cheaper switch options?

There are cheaper audiophile switches.  So far the testing I have done shows that you get what you pay for.

Others are the AQVOX and a cheaper one that SOtM will be putting on their website.  There is also another tiny one, but I lost track of it.

Steve N.

WGH

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jul 2019, 06:21 pm »
Problem solved using the USB/Ethernet adapter? Unless you are curious what is going on and just need to find the solution (that would be me).

Some of the trouble shooting gets into the weeds:

1.) Try a different router or the correct power supply even though your laptop ethernet works.

2.) What to do when your ethernet won't connect, you may have already tried these: https://www.pcworld.com/article/2835564/when-your-ethernet-wont-connect.html

3.) Boot in Safe Mode and enable ethernet in Advanced Options
    Type : ipconfig/all at the C:\>
    See if the DHCP Servers show up

4.) Make an Ubuntu disk and boot from that, there are tutorials, google "Ubuntu Ethernet"
     Ubuntu is fun because it's an alternate way to get into your hard drive, move files, clean a virus infection, and more.

randytsuch

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jul 2019, 07:34 pm »
So some questions that may (or may not) help get it sorted out.

Are you still running with the replacement motherboard?
When you swapped motherboards, did you just try to update the ethernet drivers?
Looking at the support page for Gigabyte GA-110TN-GSM Plus
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-H110TN-GSM-PLUS-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-chipset

I would update the chipset drivers, but it says to update the bios before chipset
So at a minimum, in this order:
bios update
chipset driver update
LAN driver update

What's the ip address of your PC?  and of your home network?
Doesn't really sound like an ip address problem, but you should check.

Do the status lights come on at the PC ethernet plug and on the router when you plug the ethernet cable in?

Randy

viggen

« Reply #16 on: 1 Aug 2019, 10:43 pm »
i am on my third motherboard.  everything is fine now EXCEPT the ethernet.  at least I could use it as audio pc again but with usb ethernet adapter.

i guess i will stick with what i have for now... it just irks me ...

Brad

« Reply #17 on: 1 Aug 2019, 10:47 pm »
You could also get an add-in PCIe network card and bypass the USB interface.

viggen

« Reply #18 on: 1 Aug 2019, 11:31 pm »
my motherboard only has 1 pcie slot... already usingthe matrix usb card for that slot...

i've been looking for an matx board that might have two slots but need it to be DC powered.. no luck so far.

Doublej

« Reply #19 on: 2 Aug 2019, 03:02 pm »
Three motherboards and two CPUs later. Seems to me to be a firmware or driver issue or the motherboard is not supported for your desired O/S.