BDP's and ROON Core

TJ-Sully

BDP's and ROON Core
« on: 20 Oct 2019, 11:26 pm »
Hey folks,

Probably a question for Chris or James....wondering whether there's any plans to design BDP's with the capability to install ROON CORE?
I love my Bryston digital player, and it would be so cool to use it as ROON core....instead of only an End Point.

I am currently using a separate device for ROON Core only.   Would be great to have it all under one hood...I'd buy one!!

Comments/thoughts on this idea welcomed.

Cheers, TJ

witchdoctor

Re: BDP's and ROON Core
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2019, 11:47 pm »
Maybe the BD Pi can do it

TJ-Sully

« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2019, 01:59 am »
Maybe the BD Pi can do it

definitely not capable.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2019, 12:19 pm »
Hey folks,

Probably a question for Chris or James....wondering whether there's any plans to design BDP's with the capability to install ROON CORE?
I love my Bryston digital player, and it would be so cool to use it as ROON core....instead of only an End Point.

I am currently using a separate device for ROON Core only.   Would be great to have it all under one hood...I'd buy one!!

Cheers, TJ

Maybe the BDP-3

gbaby

« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2019, 02:07 pm »
Hey folks,

Cheers, TJ

From everything I have read, the BDP performs best using USB drives connected using Manic Moose. If you use Roon, you will not receive the best fidelity the BDP has to offer. So, don't even think about using Roon if you want the best sound.

TJ-Sully

« Reply #5 on: 4 Nov 2019, 01:17 am »
From everything I have read, the BDP performs best using USB drives connected using Manic Moose. If you use Roon, you will not receive the best fidelity the BDP has to offer. So, don't even think about using Roon if you want the best sound.

hey g

yes, i am familiar with how Roon sounds compared to music sourced from hard drive using MM.  And generally, I agree with your statement about better SQ.

But for me, it's not always about what sounds better - its mostly about the enjoyment of listening to music. And using Roon/Tidal offers such a deep library with tremendous user friendly functionality....i can't help but keep listening!   probably 80% of my listening time is through Roon. love it.
And Qobuz is supposed to sound even better - if it ever becomes available in Canada..

cheers
TJ

TJ-Sully

« Reply #6 on: 4 Nov 2019, 01:21 am »
Maybe the BDP-3

Hi Chris, do you mean to say.......maybe...in the future... BDP3's may be redesigned to enable Roon Core install?
Or....maybe the BDP3 can manage this task now..?

more words please...:)

TJ

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #7 on: 4 Nov 2019, 02:30 pm »
Hi Chris, do you mean to say.......maybe...in the future... BDP3's may be redesigned to enable Roon Core install?
Or....maybe the BDP3 can manage this task now..?

more words please...:)

TJ

Yes, in the future we might add it the BDP-3 as a software update at some point in the future

Chris

gbaby

« Reply #8 on: 4 Nov 2019, 11:05 pm »
hey g

yes, i am familiar with how Roon sounds compared to music sourced from hard drive using MM.  And generally, I agree with your statement about better SQ.

But for me, it's not always about what sounds better - its mostly about the enjoyment of listening to music. And using Roon/Tidal offers such a deep library with tremendous user friendly functionality....i can't help but keep listening!   probably 80% of my listening time is through Roon. love it.
And Qobuz is supposed to sound even better - if it ever becomes available in Canada..

Hello TJ, when you referred to me a G, I thought you were one of my frat brothers. :lol: I go for sound quality over everything else. I own about 2,700 CDs and I'm still buying. :o So, I don't need these streaming services. I have tried both Tidal and Qobuzz, but having listened to my uncompressed music files using Manic Moose and USB drives, those streaming services are compromised using the BDP(2)(3). I've had both. I like to squeeze that last ounce of fidelity and you cannot do so with Room and the like. There are extended reviews confirming this fact. Out of curiosity, what do you find wrong with Manic Moose?

« Last Edit: 5 Nov 2019, 07:22 pm by gbaby »

TJ-Sully

« Reply #9 on: 5 Nov 2019, 12:47 am »
Yes, in the future we might add it the BDP-3 as a software update at some point in the future

Chris

Thanks Chris, that's good to know. So,with a software update, does that mean there's enough (extra) processing speed within the BDP3 to handle Roon Core?  have you tested this scenario yet?  just curious! thanks again, TJ

TJ-Sully

« Reply #10 on: 5 Nov 2019, 12:54 am »
G, nothing wrong at all. it's just simply the access to essentially an endless library using Roon/Tidal that appeals to me... 

I've A/B'd until the cows come home, and for the most part - running ripped CD's, or HiRes downloads using USB connection w/MPD sounds better than streaming from Tidal/Roon.   but with an isolated Roon Core, using a GigaFoil v.4 ethernet filter, and decent ethernet cables, the streaming stuff sounds pretty damn good.

When i want the extra few ounces of SQ, i switch to my personal library on the external HD's and use MPD. But I'm beginning to care less and less about these ounces...:)

TJ

TJ-Sully

« Reply #11 on: 5 Nov 2019, 12:55 am »
Thanks Chris, that's good to know. So,with a software update, does that mean there's enough (extra) processing speed and RAM within the BDP3 to handle Roon Core?  have you tested this scenario yet?  just curious! thanks again, TJ

gbaby

« Reply #12 on: 5 Nov 2019, 07:24 pm »
G, nothing wrong at all. it's just simply the access to essentially an endless library using Roon/Tidal that appeals to me... 

I've A/B'd until the cows come home, and for the most part - running ripped CD's, or HiRes downloads using USB connection w/MPD sounds better than streaming from Tidal/Roon.   but with an isolated Roon Core, using a GigaFoil v.4 ethernet filter, and decent ethernet cables, the streaming stuff sounds pretty damn good.

When i want the extra few ounces of SQ, i switch to my personal library on the external HD's and use MPD. But I'm beginning to care less and less about these ounces...:)

TJ

8)

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #13 on: 6 Nov 2019, 01:19 pm »
Thanks Chris, that's good to know. So,with a software update, does that mean there's enough (extra) processing speed within the BDP3 to handle Roon Core?  have you tested this scenario yet?  just curious! thanks again, TJ

It would be limited to what some may consider to be a small library, but from my experience (being exposed to hundreds, if not thousands of music libraries helping customers solve problems) I'd say large enough to meet the needs of roughly 90% of our end users of roughly 10,000 tracks.  Realistically it would still accept more tracks, it would just make for a larger library for the system to track.  Its kind of like comparing our firmware changes and how well they run on a BDP-1 vs BDP-3, the BDP-1 can handle the changes, but its takes all lot longer to process a larger music library then a BDP-3.  We purposely shipped the BDP-3 with more hardware then it really needed, primarily more system memory and larger and faster SSD with the idea we would add Roon Core software to our firmware.  However this got derailed, first by Qobuz integration and then the BDA-3.14.  Now the intention is to make Roon Core an optional piece of software in Nutty Narwhal.  If you have purchased a Roon subscription, you just enter your credentials and tell the unit to be your core.

Chris

TJ-Sully

« Reply #14 on: 9 Nov 2019, 12:56 am »
thanks Chris, great response. I get the thinking now... :thumb:

hey....any idea when Qobuz will be available in Canada?

cheers, TJ

A.P.A

« Reply #15 on: 11 Nov 2019, 02:26 pm »
hey....any idea when Qobuz will be available in Canada?

cheers, TJ

maybe trying a VPN?  that might work?

zoom25

« Reply #16 on: 13 Nov 2019, 08:50 pm »
gbaby and TJ, I'm curious if you guys have ever used a NAS (samba share) for MPD playback to try against USB playback?

gbaby

« Reply #17 on: 13 Nov 2019, 09:57 pm »
gbaby and TJ, I'm curious if you guys have ever used a NAS (samba share) for MPD playback to try against USB playback?

If NAS means a server with all the music on it, no I haven't tried it. With USB drives currently having 256 gigs and soon 512 gigs, I see no need with the number on USB inputs on the BDP-3.

gbaby

« Reply #18 on: 13 Nov 2019, 09:57 pm »
delete

zoom25

« Reply #19 on: 18 Nov 2019, 08:42 pm »
If NAS means a server with all the music on it, no I haven't tried it. With USB drives currently having 256 gigs and soon 512 gigs, I see no need with the number on USB inputs on the BDP-3.

Yes, I suppose flash drives are very convenient and available in 256/512 GB. As are SSDs or UBS powered hard drives in multiple TB range. Previously I had used those portable USB WD My Passport 2TB and 4TB variants.

I wanted to try out a NAS to see how the experience was on the BDP with it. There are some advantages to it such as not having to plug away drives when  you need to transfer things. You can also remove acoustical noise from the room by moving the hard drives away from the room. Although, I suppose that doesn't matter if one is already using local SSD or flash drives.

The main reason that the NAS ended up being useful was for its SQ benefits over my USB storages (flash drives and portable hard drives). I do run a slightly unorthodox network setup, but it's relatively very cheap. Nonetheless, the hassle of getting the NAS, WD Red drives and spending time messing around with multiple network components has paid off sonically to my ears. Ultimately sound is what matters (to me) and that can trump convenience or simplicity. If you ever get a chance to try out a NAS share, give it a shot (and report back). :D

I'm happy with how cheap flash storage is finally starting to get. Cheers!