Technics SL1200g Turntable

Rocket

Technics SL1200g Turntable
« on: 8 Jan 2023, 02:39 am »
Hi Guys,

I just bought my end game turntable a Technics SL1200g. It was reduced in price as a Xmas deal to $6300 and the dealer included a Goldring 1012GX cartridge as part of the deal.  The usual rrp is $7750au which I know is a lot more expensive than the usa.

I've been spinning vinyl for a few days and I'm pretty happy with it. The construction and build quality is impressive and I don't know how they sell these turntables for their asking price.  Anyway, sonically it has great bass, timing, soundstage and transparency.  Unfortunately, due to my room I will never get the most out of my system. 

I've had the following turntables over the years:

Rega 2
AR EB101
Bluenote Piccolo
Goldnote Valore
Denon DP1200
Technics SL1200gr
Bryston BLP 1

The Technics SL1200gr and Bryston BLP1 are both nice turntables but in the end I decided to go to the next level and buy the Technics SL1200G.

Just wondering if anyone else has one or have heard the latest technics turntables?

Cheers Rod

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Technics SL1200g Turntable
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2023, 03:09 am »
An interesting article:
In short, all of these decks share the same motor topology, but the SL-1200GR has a single layer of coils and one magnetic rotor, and the SL-1200G/GAE has two rotors, so more torque and an even smoother drive. The SL-1200G/GAE also have a heavier and dynamically balanced platter, which is very much a Good Thing.
https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/is-it-worth-upgrading-the-new-technics-sl-1200gr-turntable/

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2023, 06:09 pm »
I just helped a friend set his 1200G up in his system. Using a Mutech Hayabusa cartridge and a Sutherland 20/20 phono preamp, the sound was nothing short of breathtaking! Nothing in that system was to analyze. Just music pouring out. A very emotionally charged listening experience.

Rocket

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2023, 01:37 pm »
Hi,

Oh wow that is an expensive combination. I think I have a pretty good phono stage as I optioned my SST Ambrosia and paid for mm and mc.  The goldring 1012gx was included in the package so it will be insitu for a little while.  My room is quite narrow and the speakers just don't have enough room to breath behind and the sides.

The room is what it is...

Cheers Rod

Smartie_panta

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2023, 08:04 pm »
I have the GR, but I would love to hear the G sometime.

rodge827

« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2023, 11:43 pm »
Sweet table very happy for you Rocket!  :thumb:

Hoping to pick one up later this year. Still recovering from a recent system upgrade.

Rocket

« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2023, 02:16 pm »
Hi,

I have upgraditis and I know my personality so I need the best turntable that I can afford. I had a Technics sl1200gr and it sounded fabulous and sounded just as good  as my more expensive Bryston BLP 1 turntable.

I have the GR, but I would love to hear the G sometime./quote]

Cheers Rod