5.1 Audio Test CD?

mcollin6

5.1 Audio Test CD?
« on: 13 Aug 2019, 09:03 pm »
Can anyone recommend a multi-channel CD that has warble tones with frequency ranges from 15-22kHz?   The kicker is that I want it for each of a 5.1 channel setup.   It would be useful to see how changes in speaker positioning affect the data, as well as seeing how room changes affect the speaker response.

All of the CDs that I have only do stereo output, which is great for 2 speakers, but I have lots more...
 :)

Appreciate any advice.  The only thing that I can think of is getting REW and trying to use that.   Not as portable as a CD and sound meter for traveling to a friend’s house to help with tweaks...

Thx!

Mike

richidoo

Re: 5.1 Audio Test CD?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2019, 10:45 pm »
The free Audacity audio editing software can create test tones, edit them into warbles and export as multichannel surround.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2019, 11:28 pm »
I have never seen a multi-channel CD I don't think such an animal exists. SACD does 5.1 but you would need an obsolete SACD player and test disk.

I assume your friend has a DVD or Blu-ray player, if not you can pick one up at Walmart for $30. Then all you need is the Digital Video Essentials DVD
https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video-Essentials-Optimize-Entertainment/dp/B00005PJ70

The disk includes basic audio test signals plus test signals in Dolby, DTS 5.1 and DTS 6.1 including:
15 Hz - 300 Hz
15 Hz - 20 KHz
15 Hz - 150 Hz bass management
15 - 150 Hz LFE (Low Frequency Effects used only in movies) Some subs have both high level /low level and LFE inputs.

mcollin6

« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2019, 02:09 am »
Hmmm.... I have the DVE and Spears and Munsil blu rays and there aren’t any multi-channel tracks on them for anything other than setting volume levels.   I wonder if the old one that you have shown is different than what I have.   

Doesn’t it make sense that there is a need for this kind of disc, or am I missing something?

Thanks for your input!

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2019, 03:06 am »
I am not familiar with the disks you mentioned. Digital Video Essentials came out in 2003, at the dawn of affordable projectors and digital TV's. Most flat screen TV's used to have horrible default settings, the video settings enabled a lay person to adjust their new TV to look like film.

Digital Video Essentials has 56 different audio Test Signals that include Audio Sweeps, Buzz and Rattle Tests, and Bass Management Tests for each channel, more than enough to set up your friends 5.1 system. The audio sections along with a Radio Shack sound meter lets a person balance 5.1 surround sound, remember this was way before DSP software was built into receivers and processors.

Joe Kane, the disks author, has been doing calibration forever. TV is not like audio, there are defined calibration points to get a perfect picture and his disks will get you very close.
http://www.videoessentials.com/

Digital Video Essentials (DVE) Overview

https://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-calibration/digital-video-essentials-dve-review

How to use Digital Video Essentials for HDTV Calibration
https://www.ramelectronics.net/Video-calibration.aspx

mcollin6

« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2019, 10:31 am »
WGH,
I appreciate the information, but. I went through all of the multi-channel tracks on the Digital Video Essentials HD Basics disc last night and the only multi-channel tests were pink noise panning around the 5.0 speakers and a sine wave 20-300Hz sweep to allow for subwoofer integration.

Can you tell me where you found the multi-channel frequency response sweeps?   

Thanks, Mike

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 14 Aug 2019, 05:31 pm »
I'm not surprised you didn't find the sweep, the Digital Video Essentials DVD has the worst menu and navigation system ever designed by man.
The frequency sweep tests are under #10.
Note: the sections with the * are DTS encoded, you will have to change the audio selection to access these tests.

Hope this helps:

« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2019, 01:29 am by WGH »

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2019, 04:02 pm »
I'm not surprised you didn't find the sweep, the Digital Video Essentials DVD has the worst menu and navigation system ever designed by man.
The frequency sweep tests are under #10.

Awesome info, thanks!