Max current draw of AKSA 100 Nirvana during play?

Lost81

« on: 8 Aug 2004, 11:08 am »
Hi,

As summer blackouts come rolling in, I thought it would be prudent to prevent my 4 AKSA 100 N from blowing the apartment's circuitry if there is a power black out and then it comes back on--which mean that all 4 toroidal transformers will ramp up at the same time. I.e. major inrush currents.

The current powerstrip that the 4 AKSAs are on have an integrated 15A circuit breaker.

I am thinking of de-rating the breaker until it is just above the highest current draw of all 4 AKSA 100 N during performance. The TLP, transport, and DAC are not a concern as they are on a separate powerstrip.

That way, the circuit breaker will stay closed during SEQUENTIAL turn on, and loud performances, but if the power goes off and then comes back on in my absence, the circuit breaker will trip when all 4 toroidal transformers attemp to come on simultaneously.

FWIW, all 4 AKSA 100 N modules are driving 6 ohm speakers.

What will be the maximum current draw of an AKSA 100 Nirvana during performance?

I will take this number, multiply by 4, and then select a circuit breaker nearest this rating.

Am I making sense?

Will this work?

-Lost81

AKSA

« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2004, 01:11 pm »
Benny,

I have not experimented with circuit breakers;  only fuses.

At the mains level (I assume this is your intention, not the fuses on the modules) you need about a max of 800VA.  If you divide this by 115Vac for a ball park max draw, you get around 7A, excluding power factor considerations, which are not too important here.

So, a breaker of 7A for one 100W stereo AKSA is sufficient.  For two stereos, or four channels, this should be upgraded to 15A.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Hugh

Lost81

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2004, 01:49 pm »
Quote from: AKSA
For two stereos, or four channels, this should be upgraded to 15A.

Wow!

That's awesome!

So I don't have to do a thing then!
 :dance:

-Lost81