SP 3.0?

wilsonij

• BDP1>SP3>7B3s> Vandersteen Quatros
Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #2100 on: 14 Jan 2017, 05:43 pm »
Has anyone encountered problems with decoding DTS HD Master Audio signals on the sp3 ?

I've recently discovered this review
http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/receiver-processor/processors/bryston-sp3-processor-review/
which states that the DTS certification does not permit rear channels to be matrixed.

This is odd, because I used to do exactly that with my previous processor (a Classe SSP-800), but also frustrating because most of my blu-rays are in 5.1 !

The article suggests that there may be a workaround, which involves having a subwoofer configured, but I don't understand how this might work (and my subs are not separate, but built-in to my fronts which means I usually have the sub set as "off".

The other option is to switch to PCM and decode in the player, but I'm not keen on switching from the superb processing of the SP-3 to the average-at-best processing of my Samsung UHD deck...

Any ideas folks ?
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2017, 08:54 pm by wilsonij »

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #2101 on: 29 Jan 2017, 11:18 am »
James,

would it make sense to offer a "smaller  sized" SP3 ?? something like Bryston did with the BDP Pi - a small version of the BDP-2. this new unit don't has to be 1/3rd size. but by reducing inputs and outputs it would be cool to have a ht-processor with Bryston sound quality at lower costs...

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2102 on: 29 Jan 2017, 11:54 am »
James,

would it make sense to offer a "smaller  sized" SP3 ?? something like Bryston did with the BDP Pi - a small version of the BDP-2. this new unit don't has to be 1/3rd size. but by reducing inputs and outputs it would be cool to have a ht-processor with Bryston sound quality at lower costs...

al.

Hi Al

Its difficult in that the number of inputs is not where the cost is in a product like the SP3.  The digital circuitry, the power supplies, the discrete output section x 8 is far more expensive to build.

james

witchdoctor

« Reply #2103 on: 29 Jan 2017, 01:45 pm »
Officially - I do not know if SP1.7's or SP2's will be upgradable. The new HD decoder chips and interface connections will not be available till March or April of this year.

We intended to build the SP3 with all the new technologies available and then try and see if we can filter down these new technologies in a cost effective way to the SP2 and SP1.7.  I am hoping we can salvage the analog sections of the SP2 and add a new Digital board to allow for HD formats.  At some point the technology changes in fundamental ways which simply negate the ability to adapt older technologies to new. I truly do not know if the filter down will be doable until we have an SP3 working and can assess what is possible.

We are at least a year away from a finished SP3.

Hope this helps.

james

When you are considering immersive formats consider including Auro 3D. I know they don't have a lot of software available but the upmixer is superior to the other formats, especially for music:

http://www.avsforum.com/auro-3d-music-upmix-demo-stormaudio-isp-3d-16-elite-prepro-ces-2017/

dminches

« Reply #2104 on: 7 Mar 2017, 04:34 pm »
Can someone remind me how I copy settings from one source to another, or make them universal?

mv038856

« Reply #2105 on: 7 Aug 2023, 09:30 am »
Just got possession of a used JBL Synthesis SDP-45, which is known to be a rebadged Bryston SP-3.

As I need to convert it from 120 to 220/240 Volts for a use without a step-down transformer, I opened up the lid and was surprised to see that not only the faceplate has been rebranded, even the power supply boards bear the Harman logo. ;)

So I am wondering, how different is a SDP-45 compared to an SP-3?