Is there anyone using ROON?

eric1

Is there anyone using ROON?
« on: 23 Mar 2017, 11:00 pm »
Is this only an enhanced user interface? How do you like it, and what does it do for you?

Thanks,
eric

reelvox

Re: Is there anyone using ROON?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2017, 11:08 pm »
Is this only an enhanced user interface? How do you like it, and what does it do for you?

Thanks,
eric

I think Roon is the state of the art in control interfaces now. I will list reasons why a bit later. I used DLNA for about years prior.

In a nutshell it is much simpler and cleaner protocol, and is ultra responsive.

lokie

« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2017, 01:37 am »
Thanks for your impressions. I am considering.

When you say super responsive... what's your computer like? I understand it is demanding.

What's your opinion w regards to sonics?

artur9

« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2017, 02:14 am »
Be aware that its metadata does not really cover everything.  What it does cover it does great but when it doesn't have something it's not so good.

I found it not usable for my classical music.  Sadly, that was after I paid for it.

reelvox

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2017, 02:15 am »
Thanks for your impressions. I am considering.

When you say super responsive... what's your computer like? I understand it is demanding.

What's your opinion w regards to sonics?

I run a 2015 Mac Mini w/ Sierra. It can be demanding depending on the size of your library. Mine is ginormous.

I think it sounds superb. It is a much cleaner protocol than DLNA. However, DLNA also sounds great.

Interestingly, I have no use for the Roon meta data overlays, which is a big selling point, as I am a serious, in need of help
music geek.

Other nice features are DR values, total and easy control of multiple zones, a map of the signal path, and now just added, optional DSP, which I don't use, but it is there.  Been on it for a year now and it would be tough to give it up.

reelvox

« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2017, 02:16 am »
Be aware that its metadata does not really cover everything.  What it does cover it does great but when it doesn't have something it's not so good.

I found it not usable for my classical music.  Sadly, that was after I paid for it.

I don't use Roon meta data. I have it use the file meta data exclusively.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2017, 03:04 am »
I have Roon on the music server as well as Foobar 2000 with DLNA (control both with Amazon Fire tablet)

Foobar 2000 gets the vast majority of use.  I like that I can browse the file structure so easily with Foobar which makes drilling down to my preferred tracks so much easier.  I have plugins for just about any digital format and run quite a few DSD tracks.

lokie

« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2017, 01:09 pm »
I've been using a Sonore Renderer in conjunction w a NAS and UPnP.

Ready to move on to a better (easier)  user interface but after your all's comments,  I'm more confused.

mikeeastman

« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 2017, 04:11 pm »
I used Roon with HQPlayer, I really like it for file management but found Daphile had better SQ than both HQ w/ Roon and Roon only. Hopefully Roon will improve their SQ so it is as good or better than Daphile, the best of both worlds.

eric1

« Reply #9 on: 24 Mar 2017, 07:46 pm »
So most of you guys are using computers as servers? Using USB to your DAC? How are you streaming? I let my streamer do everything, and then SPDIF into my DAC.

mikeeastman

« Reply #10 on: 24 Mar 2017, 08:07 pm »
I use a sever w/ Linux OS  ethernet to optical converter to my streamer and USB to Dac

artur9

« Reply #11 on: 25 Mar 2017, 12:34 am »
So most of you guys are using computers as servers? Using USB to your DAC? How are you streaming? I let my streamer do everything, and then SPDIF into my DAC.

I was starting to go down the rat's nest of USB audio and cleaners and reclockers yada yada yada.  I decided "screw it" and got a used Bryston BDP-1 to get away from all that.  So that is feeding my preamp via XLR/AES-EBU which does some DSP and then coax into my DAC.

My set up is MinimServer on a Linux box and upmpdcli as a bridge between the mpd on the BDP-1 and Linn Kazoo.  It's a little complicated but MinimServer gives me total control over the file navigation based on the file metadata and I'm happy with Kazoo's interface.

reelvox

« Reply #12 on: 25 Mar 2017, 01:30 am »

A computer is no where near my listening room, God forbid. I use a Bryston BDP-2, outputting USB to BDA-3 DAC. Control point is an iPad Air.

dpatters

« Reply #13 on: 25 Mar 2017, 10:21 am »
I use the Salk StreamPlayer Gen III which is attached via ethernet.  USB to DAC. Roon and Tidal. About a 1000 CDs burned to StreamPlayer. Controlled via Roon app on my iPhone.  Very happy with this setup.

Don P.

RandyH

« Reply #14 on: 25 Mar 2017, 12:12 pm »
"I use the Salk StreamPlayer Gen III which is attached via ethernet.  USB to DAC. Roon and Tidal. About a 1000 CDs burned to StreamPlayer."

I have been considering the Salk Gen III myself.  If I am not mistaken it has Roon Core loaded.  If I get it I am thinking of running it off a Bryston BDA-3 DAC.  How was setup?  How does it sound?

Randy

dpatters

« Reply #15 on: 25 Mar 2017, 01:15 pm »
"I use the Salk StreamPlayer Gen III which is attached via ethernet.  USB to DAC. Roon and Tidal. About a 1000 CDs burned to StreamPlayer."

I have been considering the Salk Gen III myself.  If I am not mistaken it has Roon Core loaded.  If I get it I am thinking of running it off a Bryston BDA-3 DAC.  How was setup?  How does it sound?

Randy

Randy,

That is correct. The Roon core is loaded.  I find Roon to be a very good interface using both my burned CDs and Tidal Streaming.  Setup is a breeze.  The manual is very clear and the customer support from Jim is exemplary. The sound is definitely a step up from my CD spinner which is no slouch (Woo Audio WTP-1) as it is a dedicated CD transport.

if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Don P.

eric1

« Reply #16 on: 25 Mar 2017, 01:46 pm »
I'm thinking of upgrading to the NAD 50.2 streamer, or possibly a Lumin U1. I'm gonna use the AES out put, as I don't really fancy the USB. Right now I have a Bluesound Node.

eric1

« Reply #17 on: 25 Mar 2017, 01:49 pm »
Randy,

That is correct. The Roon core is loaded.  I find Roon to be a very good interface using both my burned CDs and Tidal Streaming.  Setup is a breeze.  The manual is very clear and the customer support from Jim is exemplary. The sound is definitely a step up from my CD spinner which is no slouch (Woo Audio WTP-1) as it is a dedicated CD transport.

if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Don P.

So Roon is a high end music player, that lives on your server/streamer, instead of a computer?

dpatters

« Reply #18 on: 25 Mar 2017, 02:01 pm »
So Roon is a high end music player, that lives on your server/streamer, instead of a computer?

The Roon core is loaded on either a dedicated music server or on a computer that is set up to be a server. The Roon controller or app is installed on my iPhone, iPad, and Windows notebook.  I mostly use my iPhone to control my StreamPlayer.

Don P.

Philistine

« Reply #19 on: 25 Mar 2017, 03:20 pm »
I've got Roon on a Synology NAS, streaming about 2000 CD's and Tidal, I wasn't a first adopter but read the glowing reviews so participated in the trial subscription they offered - I considered the cost to be way too high for just a predominantly music software management program.  6 months later I'm a convert, it integrates my CD collection and Tidal seamlessly but, more importantly, it's resulted in the discovery of new music that I would have missed out on.  Without Tidal integration the value of Roon for me isn't worth the cost, with Roon it's a winner.  I've stopped obsessing about the sonic performance and concentrate on enjoying the music, so can't comment on any actual real or perceived differences.