Room Mode or What?

mkane

Re: Room Mode or What?
« Reply #40 on: 9 Sep 2023, 04:22 pm »
Quick acoustic foams in place, Its helped.

Hafgrim

« Reply #41 on: 10 Sep 2023, 03:14 pm »
You can can add another subwoofer and place it in a spot that cancels out the peak at your listening position. Read up on subwoofer swarms.

mkane

« Reply #42 on: 10 Sep 2023, 10:13 pm »
We will listen to this for a while. I was able to EQ the peak a bit. Decays not so hot. Hopefully real room treatments will do some more.

emailtim

« Reply #43 on: 11 Sep 2023, 02:11 am »
Broadband traps are going to be difficult to knock out a 12dB 50 Hz peak.  Might try changing the location of the subs and/or seating position.

Here is a room mode calculator that may help.

https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l=22.37&w=15.53&h=9&ft=true&r60=0.6

OrangeAgent

« Reply #44 on: 11 Sep 2023, 01:26 pm »
That calculator is tremendous. I really like how it shows you the locations in the room where those modes will be the loudest. I will revisit my sweeps and see if I might be able to better configure my room treatments. I suspect you could tweak the room size values to match the peaks on your REW data, and then the predictions of mode locations would be spot on. I know where my sub has the most output in my room, so if the model agrees then I see no reason I wouldn't be able to trust the rest of the predictions.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #45 on: 11 Sep 2023, 01:49 pm »
You also might want to consider treatment is tuned to absorb 50 Hz

emailtim

Virtual Double Bass Array
« Reply #46 on: 11 Sep 2023, 07:09 pm »
If you have a symmetric rectangular room (vs asymmetric and/or opening to other spaces) and DSP capabilities, it might be fun to try implementing a Virtual Double Bass Array with your sub frequencies (mix in an appropriately delayed, inverted, attenuated sub signal back into the original signal to null the room modes).

This guy explores possible implementation details to simulate a physical DBA in DSP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9aJqQpNyLY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbgsiXpvz_s

emailtim

« Reply #47 on: 11 Sep 2023, 08:12 pm »
That calculator is tremendous. I really like how it shows you the locations in the room where those modes will be the loudest. I will revisit my sweeps and see if I might be able to better configure my room treatments. I suspect you could tweak the room size values to match the peaks on your REW data, and then the predictions of mode locations would be spot on. I know where my sub has the most output in my room, so if the model agrees then I see no reason I wouldn't be able to trust the rest of the predictions.

Another good tool is a spectrogram.  It gives you the distance of the reflections and their frequency range so you can narrow down which reflections are the problems and then choose the appropriate type of treatment.

In this image, you can see 2 strong vertical strip reflections at @ 4ms and 9ms respectively that range between 1KHz and 7kHz respectively. 

Those distances correspond to my side and cross-side reflections even though I had OC-703 broadband absorbers in those locations documenting they weren't doing a great job.  I replaced the OC-703 based traps with horizontally mounted 180 degree dispersion designed polycylindricals of the same size which evenly distributed those strong first reflections vertically which erased/attenuated both reflections without taking the energy out of the room.  There are cord calculators available to design various poly dispersion patterns.

In this case, a solid poly worked better than porous absorption and significantly stabilized the soundstage when twisting your head.  The leading ear no longer switches between the side and cross-side reflections.

mkane

« Reply #48 on: 11 Sep 2023, 10:16 pm »
Outstanding feedback' I really appreciate it.

Twisted knobs this morning. It sounds like there's more body in the vocals.

emailtim

« Reply #49 on: 12 Sep 2023, 06:48 am »
Outstanding feedback' I really appreciate it.

If you are interested in room/studio designs, measurements, absorption/diffusion products, applications and usage, John Brandt has been posting discussions of new work being done in the field with Ron Sauro who runs a huge an-echoic chamber measuring lab made out of a nuclear reactor cooling tower containing tons and tons of cement like an underground cavern.  These posts have been spread out over a the last few months.

They are measuring existing and new designs in this facility and will be writing papers on their findings which I am anxious to read.  A lot of previous assumptions are being tested validated and debunked.

One of the products they measured was the PRG Bad Panels and discovered what it really does and why it does what it does.  Not what RPG originally stated it did.

https://www.youtube.com/@JHBrandt/videos

Stereophile did a write up on Ron's lab a while back.

NWAA Labs: Measurement Beyond The Atomic Level:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/nwaa-labs-measurement-beyond-atomic-level

mkane

« Reply #50 on: 12 Sep 2023, 04:39 pm »
 Hi rent district thanks