REW

Big Red Machine

Re: REW
« Reply #60 on: 24 Oct 2021, 10:49 pm »
Why are you not measuring from your seated position? Your adjustments should be based on what your ears receive when seated, not what the  speakers can do in the lab. As the room influences the sound, the seated position is now ground zero for room treatments and PEQ settings.

mkane

« Reply #61 on: 24 Oct 2021, 11:10 pm »
I'll just shrug my shoulders because I have no answer. I was under the impression it worked both ways.

I'll move the mic.

mkane

« Reply #62 on: 24 Oct 2021, 11:38 pm »
 Measured from seating position.

frequency @ 49Hz
gain -8 BW-middle

AKLegal

« Reply #63 on: 24 Oct 2021, 11:52 pm »
Measured from seating position.

frequency @ 49Hz
gain -8 BW-middle

This looks about right for a first measurement. Sorry  :D

49hz is low for something like the Wedgies. If I were you I would see what the response looks like with the crossover frequency set to max. If there isn't much change in the response then try messing with the phase.

mkane

« Reply #64 on: 25 Oct 2021, 12:15 am »
How's this? I didn't have the PEQ turned on.

mkane

« Reply #65 on: 25 Oct 2021, 12:19 am »

mkane

« Reply #66 on: 25 Oct 2021, 12:26 am »
Here's. 69Hz

mkane

« Reply #67 on: 25 Oct 2021, 12:34 am »
Frequency @ 60Hz.

mkane

« Reply #68 on: 25 Oct 2021, 12:46 am »
 Three clicks off max frequency.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #69 on: 25 Oct 2021, 04:41 am »
I'll just shrug my shoulders because I have no answer. I was under the impression it worked both ways.

I'll move the mic.

It does work both ways and measurements from both one meter in front of the speaker and in the seated position are important because they will tell you different things.  In your situation, as you're learning this, it might be better to use your seated position.  But measuring in front of the speaker can get some initial problems figured out first.  Then moving your microphone to the seated position will give different challenges (normally having more to do with the room than how the subwoofer and speaker are working together).  So, it's important to understand all of it.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #70 on: 25 Oct 2021, 04:51 am »
Here's. 69Hz

Just by looking at these, I think 69Hz seems to be the best.  You definitely have some significant room issues going on.  You have nulls at 70Hz, 90Hz, and 200 Hz.  You have modes at 75Hz, 150Hz and 320Hz (which makes sense since they are related........).  But overall, your crossover area seems to be much better and the giant null around 200Hz isn't there anymore so the low midrange should sound much better.  The overall frequency range is flatter.  There is a lot of 40Hz, but it might actually sound cool and fun with movies, etc.  You could use DSP to address these problems by reducing those frequencies that I have mentioned as being room modes along with reducing the 40Hz on the subwoofer.  I might have missed this, but do you have DSP in your system? 
Also, did you listen to the system with the different crossover points?  Was there one that you preferred over the others?  Are you able to start hearing the differences in the frequencies that you see on these graphs? 

DannyBadorine

« Reply #71 on: 25 Oct 2021, 04:57 am »
How's this? I didn't have the PEQ turned on.

If this one is with the EQ on the sub reducing the 40HZ then you might be reducing it too much.  Turn it down less (or up more).  You get what I mean.  Just a bit less.  See how it sounds to you.  Measurements are good, but use your ears!

mkane

« Reply #72 on: 25 Oct 2021, 01:20 pm »
Thanks. When my wife goes swimming this morning I'll take a few more measurements.

I don't have a DSP unit. Gave them both away.

It does sound much better. Fuller sounding, better separation.

I'm not surprised theres room issues. It's a very large space with lot's of things for sound to bounce off. I do have the front wall treated.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #73 on: 25 Oct 2021, 02:11 pm »
Thanks. When my wife goes swimming this morning I'll take a few more measurements.

I don't have a DSP unit. Gave them both away.

It does sound much better. Fuller sounding, better separation.

I'm not surprised theres room issues. It's a very large space with lot's of things for sound to bounce off. I do have the front wall treated.

OK.  Without DSP, you should just listen to all of these and pick which one you like the best.  If there are more than one listening positions then listen at all of them.  In a room like that you will notice that the sound changes throughout the room.  There will be more bass next to the walls in some spots and then less bass in other spots.  Pick which settings sound best to you.  Listen to a few different sources also.  Have fun with it!
The only other way to make this much better is with DSP or sound treatment in the room and both of those might not be an option or even something that is necessary.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #74 on: 25 Oct 2021, 02:16 pm »
One other thing to try if possible: Turn your main speakers in towards the listening position a little bit and possibly move them away from any walls.  Be aware that if this changes the spacing from the subwoofer then you will need to move the subwoofer also or re-visit the subwoofer phase settings. 
If you can get a little further from a wall with the mains or turn them slightly then you might get less of a bump at 320Hz and maybe even slightly less 150Hz.  It might fill in some of the 180Hz-300Hz null that you have.  Please also be aware that it might make things worse so keep track of where the speakers were and be prepared to put them back. 

mkane

« Reply #75 on: 25 Oct 2021, 04:17 pm »
PEQ off. I enjoy taking measurements and my wife gets it.

Here's our room with the speakers tucked away. There out as far as the table and closer to each other when listening.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #76 on: 25 Oct 2021, 04:54 pm »
That couch and end table between the speakers is playing havoc with the sound. With those there I wouldn't chase perfection. You won't get it.

I had to move the equipment rack from between the speakers and add diffusion between the speakers and absorption in the corners. I couldn't completely remove the TV from between the speakers so I got an out and down full motion mount like is used above a fireplace. This lets me pull the TV down into position when watching it and push it against the wall and up to the ceiling when listening to music. Not ideal but the best compromise I could come up with.

If you use 1/6 octave smoothing it will make the overall pattern easier to see.

What are you using for amplification?

mkane

« Reply #77 on: 25 Oct 2021, 05:12 pm »
 I can move the couch and the tables. That's not a problem, just give me a few minutes and I'll take some more measurements. :)

mkane

« Reply #78 on: 25 Oct 2021, 05:47 pm »
It's done.

mkane

« Reply #79 on: 25 Oct 2021, 05:54 pm »
 Here's 1/6 octive. I'm using an Pass Aleph J today.