HX800 and six woofers...

Chops

HX800 and six woofers...
« on: 23 Nov 2021, 10:01 pm »
All this talk lately about running multiple woofer towers and amps and such got me thinking.

I'd be more curious about running those six woofers with the HX800, not in an open baffle, but in an infinite baffle in the ceiling. Possibly/probably running 8 woofers actually, four per side in proper manifolds with the drivers facing each other to minimize vibrations.

I know most people who run infinite baffle subs run multiple 15's and mostly 18's, but those are also regular woofers with no servo control. I don't know if the GR 12's would cope just as good or better being that they are servo controlled.

This isn't something I'll be doing anytime soon, but I will be doing it eventually.

Any thought on that one, Danny?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: HX800 and six woofers...
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2021, 02:42 am »
We have had customers use our woofers in a ceiling-mounted, infinite baffle configuration. And the HX800 can power up to 6 woofers, 3 woofers per channel. They are used in the 6-pack sub towers so you dont need 4 amps to run them.

But as far as using them in the ceiling goes, the amps need to be close to the woofers, and I would also check local relulations in your area, as they may not allow for amplifiers to be used in the attic.

If you get the amps more that 3-4 feet away from the woofers, you start losing servo control as the signal from the sensing coils becomes too weak, and using repeaters would only add delay the signal.