Which SHM-SACDs?

strider

Which SHM-SACDs?
« on: 6 Jun 2011, 06:00 pm »
Looking to purchase one title in the SHM-SACD format to hear what it's got to offer, which one should it be?

What makes it sound so good, what other versions of the album have you heard?

Personally I'm interested in anything but classical, but if there's a title you really like feel free to post your thoughts on it as well.

Ben

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Which SHM-SACDs?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2011, 06:50 pm »
Most have said that Who's Next is amazing.  Others that top the list include Rolling Stones (Sticky Fingers), Caravan (Land Of Grey and Pink), Gentle Giant (Octopus), Traffic (John Barleycorn) and Cream (Wheels of Fire).

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2011, 09:19 pm »
Big thumbs up for Who's Next.  The few others I've tried (Aja, Dire Straits, Style Council) have been good, but not $50 good.  I have an entry-level SACD player so the limitations may very well be on my end.

Back to Who's Next.  I haven't heard the reissue vinyl so I don't know how the SHM-SACD compares to that.  But compared to the original vinyl and the very good CD remaster from a few years ago, SHM-SACD sounds "master-tape" ish.  I can hear the unique character of analog tape saturation/compression that engineers used back then to hold the mix together while preserving space and dynamics.  In short, the mix really pops.

Russ

Eric

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2011, 10:27 pm »
Stupid question: What is SHM SACD?

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2011, 10:33 pm »
Japanese SHM-SACD (Super High Material SACD)

See Music Direct

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2011, 10:56 pm »
Hi,
I have DireStraits, Caravan and Cream(Wheels of Fire).
DireStraits= Stellar sound quality for a analogue tape. Recommended
Caravan = Good sound quality for a rock band of the 70 years. In overall terms sound quality is regular;

Cream = Unfortunately low sound quality, even lowest than the regular CD I still have, as the SACD format huge Rez show more of the poor recording details.
(If you live in my country I could sell this disc to you), the studio tracks had very awful sound, even the live tracks do not sound this bad.

Seems to me this Wheels of Fire analogue tapes were recorded in 3 inches per second or slower, what disillusion, I listen this SACD just once, and had no intend to try again.
There is nothing good on the sound, but my amp is a transistor one, maybe if your amp be a sweet tube amp...
Gustavo

> Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the street. On the streets pets live only two years average.

strider

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2011, 12:52 pm »
Seems like, after reading the above and poking around on the interwebs, that Who's Next is really the only title that I've seen get consistently favorable reviews. Still looking for a review on BB King Live at the Regal; if I find some positive comments on it I think that's the one I'll buy, otherwise it may be the Who.

As an aside, I find it funny how many posts I've seen on other sites about people (audiophiles, mind you, not normal people) who swear off buying an SHM-SACD because of the price. Seems the vinyl guys have been paying that much for the cream of the crop 200g 45rpm remasters for a couple years now.

Eric

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jun 2011, 02:22 pm »
Has anyone heard the Steeley Dan Asa album?

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #8 on: 7 Jun 2011, 02:32 pm »
Has anyone heard the Steeley Dan Asa album?

Eric, you mean "Aja", and yes I've heard it.  I love Steely Dan but wouldn't spend $50 for this.  In some ways the UK MCA cd is better.  Most say don't waste your money.

Eric

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jun 2011, 02:48 pm »
Thanks, pre-coffee typing

Mike Nomad

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jun 2011, 03:14 pm »
Eric, you mean "Aja", and yes I've heard it.  I love Steely Dan but wouldn't spend $50 for this.  In some ways the UK MCA cd is better.  Most say don't waste your money.

The Aja disc is terrible. Let It Bleed doesn't sound as good as the first Japanese SACD release.

integriscdp

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jun 2011, 05:04 pm »
Big thumbs up for Who's Next.  The few others I've tried (Aja, Dire Straits, Style Council) have been good, but not $50 good.  I have an entry-level SACD player so the limitations may very well be on my end.

Back to Who's Next.  I haven't heard the reissue vinyl so I don't know how the SHM-SACD compares to that.  But compared to the original vinyl and the very good CD remaster from a few years ago, SHM-SACD sounds "master-tape" ish.  I can hear the unique character of analog tape saturation/compression that engineers used back then to hold the mix together while preserving space and dynamics.  In short, the mix really pops.

Russ

I also have the Who's Next SHM-SACD, and while it might fare very well up against other remastered redbook CD versions, it doesn't hold a candle to the original Japanese Polydor CD (P33P-25009), which incidentally is derived from a Steve Hoffman master.  By comparison, the SHM-SACD lacks detail, air and depth, and waaay too warmed over.   :scratch:

Based on the few SHM-SACDs that I currently have, my vote goes for the Dire Straits self-titled debut.  In direct comparison with the 1st press SHM-CD, the SACD is much more vibrant and full sounding.   :)

Mike Nomad

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jun 2011, 01:47 am »
I also have the Who's Next SHM-SACD, and while it might fare very well up against other remastered redbook CD versions, it doesn't hold a candle to the original Japanese Polydor CD (P33P-25009), which incidentally is derived from a Steve Hoffman master.  By comparison, the SHM-SACD lacks detail, air and depth, and waaay too warmed over.   :scratch:

Based on the few SHM-SACDs that I currently have, my vote goes for the Dire Straits self-titled debut.  In direct comparison with the 1st press SHM-CD, the SACD is much more vibrant and full sounding.   :)

AFAIK, the current Canadian CD pressing of Who's Next uses the Hoffman master.

integriscdp

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jun 2011, 01:06 am »
AFAIK, the current Canadian CD pressing of Who's Next uses the Hoffman master.

Yes - the current Canadian MCA pressing does use the Hoffman master, although many posters on other forums seem to believe that the Canadian version is taken from some sort of 'safety copy'.  I cannot comment on what that really means, or how accurate that story actually is.  I can, however, provide some comments on the current Canadian MCA pressing vs the original Japanese Polydor P33P that I mentioned earlier, as I have both pressings.  The Canadian MCA pressing is very, very good.  And considering it's available for under 10 bucks, I'd say that makes it extra special.   :D  However, in terms of ultimate sound quality, the original Japanese pressing just seems to have a bit more sound stage resolution.  On a good system, you can hear more separation, depth, and all that good audiophile stuff.   The drum kit definitely comes through with more definition on the Japanese pressing.

In any event, I'd gladly take either of these over the current Japanese SHM-SACD.  I suspect I will be selling mine!!!

Eric

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jun 2011, 04:31 pm »

Is the UK MCA cd still available?