For Those Of Us That Like The Top End A Little Rolled Off

tubav

I'm currently listening to Elac B6's. I've read and reread Danny's post of modding these. I've done the Norez, woofer frame dampening, beauty rings, etc. I'm enjoying the relaxed top end. One of my go to discs is Jennifer Warnes "The Hunter". On most speakers the sibilance, brightness, whatever, bothers my ears. On the Elacs it doesn't. My system is all tubes. Would I get additional clarity by switching the stock 1.5 tweeter cap to a Sonicap without elevating the top end and getting extra brightness? Thanks for any suggestions. tubav

Early B.

Re: For Those Of Us That Like The Top End A Little Rolled Off
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2019, 08:29 pm »
Definitely.

A Sonicap upgrade in the tweeter section would provide greater clarity without elevating the top end.

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2019, 10:13 pm »
Your brightness doesn't come from the top end. It is actually in the 2kHz to 3kHz range where a speaker is bright or not. In the top end, and I mean top octave, is where you have your spatial cues that contribute to your imaging. That is where the Elac's are soft. Bringing the top end back up to level will improve the imaging. It won't make them hard to listen to.

And swapping out the capacitor to a Sonicap won't change the tonal balance either. It will just make them cleaner and more clear. It will also allow more space between the notes (less smearing).

twitch54

« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2019, 10:28 pm »
LOL, once you become a 'senior' everything on the top end becomes a little rolled off !

hawkeyejw

« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2019, 12:15 am »
Your brightness doesn't come from the top end. It is actually in the 2kHz to 3kHz range where a speaker is bright or not. In the top end, and I mean top octave, is where you have your spatial cues that contribute to your imaging. That is where the Elac's are soft. Bringing the top end back up to level will improve the imaging. It won't make them hard to listen to.

And swapping out the capacitor to a Sonicap won't change the tonal balance either. It will just make them cleaner and more clear. It will also allow more space between the notes (less smearing).

That’s really interesting and explains why I can love speakers and headphones with PMDs while finding just about every Klipsch speaker I have ever heard to be unbearably harsh and fatiguing.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2019, 12:33 am »
I'm a treble freak. I live for treble. And can say.. speakers are ususally not too much treble. the problem is YOU DO NOT WANT TO HEAR THE GARBAGE that is with the treble. !!!!!
If hte treble is CLEAN, it can be LOUD AS HELL and sound great.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #6 on: 4 Dec 2019, 12:50 am »
As alluded to above,  wait until you're about 70 and the treble will roll off on it's own.  But that is sometimes offset by tinnitis.  Just sayin'   :D
« Last Edit: 4 Dec 2019, 03:33 am by glynnw »

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 4 Dec 2019, 03:26 am »
Your brightness doesn't come from the top end. It is actually in the 2kHz to 3kHz range where a speaker is bright or not.

^^^ This

You can have a speaker roll off after 12khz and you'll never even know. You light up something in the 1-3khz range and you'll know, and you'll know if it's light.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 4 Dec 2019, 02:46 pm »
  It may NOT be the tweeter at all. It may be the source or a cable. Overall sound should be linear. The tweeter should not stand out. I am very keen to bright, over detailed, sibilant, hard, lean and metallic HF sound. Makes me cringe.
  The Elacs I heard did not offer those traits the gear did. Experiment and have fun doing so.

charles

Nick77

« Reply #9 on: 4 Dec 2019, 03:03 pm »
Thats a pretty small cap and buying copper wont be too expensive, consider Miflex copper cap or aluminium at Sonicraft.