Ex-Demo BR-20

John541

Ex-Demo BR-20
« on: 8 May 2023, 09:58 pm »
I've bought an ex-demo BR-20 and would like to check a couple of things with the experts here:

1) It seems to be an very early model as the serial number is 000020. Would there have been changes to the hardware since then that influence performance?

2) The dealer set it up with what he said was the latest software. Is this setup OK or are there any issues with it:

(The music files are mine, not the dealers.)

Once I am confident of the setup I would like to come back with a few questions and thoughts.

Many thanks for your help.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Ex-Demo BR-20
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2023, 10:51 pm »
Hi John

Yes this looks current

james

John541

« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2023, 11:10 pm »
Many thanks, James. That is very helpful.

I'm confused about the purpose or benefit in setting up a scratch drive with the BR-20 (when the music library and artwork is on a NAS). Can you please help?

(The BR-20 doesn't seem to cache the resampled artwork files to the scratch drive as resampled jpg files are written to the NAS - 4,792 of them in my case - even when there is a scratch drive set up. Those files written to the NAS initially took me by surprise - though I can see the reasoning, especially if there isn't a scratch drive.)

Looking to the medium/long term, I would like to buy a spare Rasp Pi 4 board and just store it away somewhere as insurance in case of problems in the years ahead. Is the "Rasp Pi 4 B" board compatible with the BR-20? (I see that you have previously recommended 4GB memory.)

The BR-20 is very impressive indeed.

I'm slowly getting it set up in a way I prefer. Most of my music is classical and, very sadly, the "composer" tag isn't supported so I've had to copy all composer tags over to the album artist tags (mp3tag is a blessing) and then I had to rename all artwork to folder.jpg (where it wasn't that already) so that the BR-20 resampled jpg files don't totally confuse the other systems I use.

John541

« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2023, 11:46 pm »
Oh, and thank you for providing the Squeezelite option in Services. That is very useful indeed and I do hope it continues to be available in future software releases - PLEASE.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2023, 10:51 am »
Hi John - some of these questions are over my pointed head - please email Chris - crice@bryston.com

james

John541

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2023, 01:49 pm »
Thanks James. I'll collect my thoughts and send an email to Chris. (It's very kind of you and Chris to respond to user's questions - you must both be very busy people.)

John541

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2023, 06:38 pm »
Silly question: what do you need to unscrew the remote (to replace the batteries)?

Clive197

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2023, 08:24 pm »
Silly question: what do you need to unscrew the remote (to replace the batteries)?
A small cross-head screwdriver.

John541

« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2023, 11:12 pm »
Thanks for that - but the screw/bolt heads on the remote I have don't seem suitable for a cross head screwdriver. They look more like Torx - but the T8 I have is too big and the T7 is too loose, so I'm at a loss.

« Last Edit: 13 May 2023, 10:56 am by John541 »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2023, 11:34 am »
Are the screws on the bottom the same as they are the only ones you should take out

james

John541

« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2023, 12:52 pm »
Yes all the screw heads, top and bottom, are the same - I just happened to have the remote that way up when I took the photo.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2023, 01:28 pm »
They must have made a change recently - email Mike and he will now with the picture, - mpickett@bryston.com

John541

« Reply #12 on: 13 May 2023, 03:01 pm »
Thanks James. Email duly sent.

John541

« Reply #13 on: 25 May 2023, 02:54 pm »
I have emailed mpickett@bryston.com (twice) but received no reply.

I would really like to know the correct tool for these screws on the remote and would be very grateful for help on this. (See the earlier photo.)

The very last thing I want is to try out unsuitable bits, mess up the screw heads and end up having to drill the screws out.

John541

« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2023, 11:40 am »
I guessed that no answer was forthcoming to my question about the screws on the remote. So I took a Torx T8 bit and gradually sanded down the splines (using silicon carbide paper) until the bit just about fitted the screws.

Not an ideal solution bit at least I can now change the batteries.