NX2 vs ASCEND ACOUSTICS SIERRA

rickb119

NX2 vs ASCEND ACOUSTICS SIERRA
« on: 7 Nov 2010, 07:23 pm »
Several months ago I purchased a pair of Sierra speakers and was very impressed. I ended up returning them only because I found that they greatly aggravated my tinnitus. My old Boston A-70's don't have near the detail, seperation, soundstage etc. but, they don't seem to affect the tinnitus as bad. My questions are, 1) How do the  NX2's compare to the Sierra's and, 2) Is there anyone out there that has both the NX2's and tinnitus and how does it affect the latter? I know that the NX2's don't go as low, but one of Danny's sub kits that he still has on sale would remedy that.

My system is a re-capped Sansui AU-919 and a Denon DX-7555. It's in my office (12 x 12) with the speakers in the corners toed in directly at me.

I really miss hearing the detail in the music and am hoping to find a solution, or at least a reasonable compromise.

Thanks,

Rick

emac

Re: NX2 vs ASCEND ACOUSTICS SIERRA
« Reply #1 on: 7 Nov 2010, 08:36 pm »
I have heard the Sierras before (been a while though, back in 2007) as well as the NX2's, so I'll at least give this a shot.  From what I remember, the Sierras were a very nice speaker, pretty balanced and solid overall.  Don't recall them being bright or anything that would worsen someone's tinnitus, so I'm at somewhat of a loss for what happened in your case.  As for the N2X's, they are traditional Danny Richie speakers.  I have heard them and liked them a lot, and I own a pair of O-3's, which share a lot in common w/ the N2X's.  I found both to be very easy to listen to and rich in detail.  Neutral and natural are the terms that come to mind.  So, I don't think that the N2X's would worsen your tinnitus, though as I said before, I don't know why the Sierras would either. 

Meanwhile, I could see the Dali Mentor Menuets I use nearfield in my computer set up worsening a person's tinnitus.  It's not that they are bright, but they also don't back down on the crispness of the highs and are strong in the area of microdynamics.  Thankfully, the Dalis don't bother the mild tinnitus I have. 

I hope this helps.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2010, 09:18 pm »
I've never heard the Ascend, I have a bunch of JBL Control Monitors and bookshelves and the tweeters in one pair (4311B's) are bright to me and give me a headache after awhile, the others I have (4312A's) have a different tweeter and present much smoother to me so I use them daily. I happen to have in my system right now the N2X speakers that are making the rounds here on AC and they are extremely easy to listen to, clean detailed high end but never harsh. I use a sub and was surprised at how low they can go and how they integrate so seamlessly with it.
 I'm very sensitive to harsh high end -too many cymbal hits in my youth- and the N2X's never approach anything like etched high end or harshness, they are very detailed in a good way. I'm trying to figure out how to pick up a pair of these myself in fact, I would say they are easily the least fatiguing speaker I've ever heard. You should contact Danny Ritchie at GR Research and see if you can get on the tour list and hear these very speakers...I'd be really surprised if they would excite the tinnitus, and cause distress. I could be wrong but I wouldn't hesitate recommending them to a friend if they had hearing issues, its possible to hear all that detail you've been missing with these.  :thumb:

Ron

« Reply #3 on: 7 Nov 2010, 11:03 pm »
 I have built quite a few N2X speakers for other people. In my opinion they have a very smooth, natural, and detailed sound quality. Never bright or harsh sounding. They are the type of speaker you can listen to for hours on end and not develop listener fatigue. I certainly don't think they would aggravate your tinnitus condition.

rickb119

« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2010, 02:27 am »
Thanks all for the input. I think I'll get on the list for the demo's.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov 2010, 01:37 pm »
The demo list has gotten short now so let me know.

I have demo pairs of N1X's in Georgia and N2X's in Pennsylvania right now.

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov 2010, 09:36 pm »
I auditioned the same Ascend Sierra's as EMAC....let's just say my impression wasn't similar to his in the upper frequency area.   For me, the highs got edgy and somewhat too forward once you drove them above normal conversation levels.  During this audition we had an opportunity to purchase the Sierra's or several other pairs of stand mount speakers at very good prices....I purchased another manufacturer's speaker.  The speaker I choose has it's own set of tics and fleas, but they are ones I can work around and tolerate.   I believe the Sierra's have been upgraded to a new and improved version.  From what I have read, they targeted the upper frequencies in their re-do.  You may want to drill deeper into those changes.  Soooooo, I totally understand how the older ones would have bothered your Tinnitus.

Okay, I also purchased a pair of Neo 2X's with platinum bypass caps, No-Rez, upgraded connecters and I totally love them.  Yes, they are lacking in the lower frequencies but that's why I have a GR/Rhythmik subwoofer  :thumb:.   The Neo's are very balanced and I wrote a review about them a while ago here on AC.

Take Danny up on the demo tour to see if they are right for you.

Peace and later,
Lou

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2010, 04:08 pm »
Okay, the N1X's have moved to the Chicago area.

The N2X's are still in PA but need a new home. Any more guys in the PA area interested before they more to another area?

Zerogravity

« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2010, 09:21 pm »
No But I have been waiting to try them, The N2 that is! I am in Florida.

jimh80

« Reply #9 on: 25 Nov 2010, 04:59 am »
I am in Pittsburgh and am very interested in the NX2. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 25 Nov 2010, 03:37 pm »
I am in Pittsburgh and am very interested in the NX2. 

E-mail me your complete shipping and contact info to: info@gr-research.com

Then call with the CC info needed for securing them: 940-592-3400

And I can have then sent over to you.

bikes and beats

« Reply #11 on: 25 Nov 2010, 04:25 pm »
Danny,
Do you have any front ported monitors to demo?
I'm in Denver.
Best,
-Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 25 Nov 2010, 04:40 pm »
Danny,
Do you have any front ported monitors to demo?
I'm in Denver.
Best,
-Mike

I do not at this time. I have some sealed box N2X's that you can demo though. And I have a couple of people in the denver area on the list. So there will be some units sent there soon.