Off-Ramp Wi-Fi vs SB3

arthur

Off-Ramp Wi-Fi vs SB3
« on: 28 Aug 2007, 06:33 am »
Hi

i had a couple of questions.

1) In terms of sound quality, how does the modded SB3 stack up against Off-Ramp Wi-Fi (with coax out) ?

and

2) Can some one describe the difference in sound between Off-Ramp Wi-Fi (with coax out) vs Airport Extreme (with Monarchy DIP or some other tosslink-coax converter)? Have there been any independent reviews?

thank you

audioengr

Re: Off-Ramp Wi-Fi vs SB3
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2007, 05:21 pm »
Hi

i had a couple of questions.

1) In terms of sound quality, how does the modded SB3 stack up against Off-Ramp Wi-Fi (with coax out) ?

and

2) Can some one describe the difference in sound between Off-Ramp Wi-Fi (with coax out) vs Airport Extreme (with Monarchy DIP or some other tosslink-coax converter)? Have there been any independent reviews?

thank you

1) I would have to say that the SB3 with Pace-Car has much lower jitter than an Off-Ramp Wi-Fi, but the Wi-Fi is still a LOT better than the stock AE.

2) I thought that AirPort Extreme was only a WiFi transceiver.  The Monarchy Dip is not in the same class.

STeve N.

arthur

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2007, 05:56 pm »
i'm sorry. i was a bit unclear - i didn't intend to compare Morachy DIP - i meant that i would have to use such a device in the chain to connect to my Scott Nixon TubeDAC+

I pretty much just wanted to learn abut the sound difference between Off Ramp Wi Fi and Airport.

thank you

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2007, 05:24 am »
i'm sorry. i was a bit unclear - i didn't intend to compare Morachy DIP - i meant that i would have to use such a device in the chain to connect to my Scott Nixon TubeDAC+

I pretty much just wanted to learn abut the sound difference between Off Ramp Wi Fi and Airport.

thank you

Another option to consider is a stock AE driving a Pace-Car. This will match the performance of a SB3 driving a Pace-Car.

Steve N.

arthur

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2007, 10:31 am »
will you need to do mods on AE? or will the pace car accept tosslink and output coax?

how will the quality of the sound stack up to moddes SB3 or Off Ramp WI FI?

co$t?

thank you!

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2007, 04:59 pm »
will you need to do mods on AE? or will the pace car accept tosslink and output coax?

how will the quality of the sound stack up to moddes SB3 or Off Ramp WI FI?

co$t?

thank you!

The AE does not require mods, but it is a different Pace-Car.  It will accept Toslink.  This version of Pace-Car is $1350 with Superclock4 and $1100 with low-jitter clock.

Sound quality of everything coming out of the Pace-Car is identical.  Very low jitter.

Steve N.

arthur

« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2007, 08:18 pm »
i'm sorry for my nube questions, but:

1) what is the sound difference between  Superclock4 and low-jitter clock?

2) which one would you recommend?

3) how will it stack up to my current system?
Currently i'm running a modded Sony S-7000   ->   Scott Nixon TubeDak+
 -> Odyssey Tempest Preamp   ->  Odyssey Stratos amp  -> Legacy Classics speakers.

4) what is your return policy?

5) after ordering, how long will it take to ship it to me after i order it?

6) are there any reviews of the product?

7) between how many sources can i switch if i get the Pace Car

thank you so much for all the info.

audioengr

« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2007, 10:30 pm »
i'm sorry for my nube questions, but:

1) what is the sound difference between  Superclock4 and low-jitter clock?

They are both excellent, but the Superclock has a bit more liveness to the sound

2) which one would you recommend?

Superclock4

3) how will it stack up to my current system?
Currently i'm running a modded Sony S-7000   ->   Scott Nixon TubeDak+
 -> Odyssey Tempest Preamp   ->  Odyssey Stratos amp  -> Legacy Classics speakers.

The jitter will be much lower with the SB3 and a Pace-Car

4) what is your return policy?

No returns for mods or products unless you simply cannot get it to work

5) after ordering, how long will it take to ship it to me after i order it?

Depends on the backlog.  Currently running 13-14 weeks.

6) are there any reviews of the product?

Nothing yet on the Pace-Car

7) between how many sources can i switch if i get the Pace Car

Two inputs can be switched, but we need to talk about which ones they are.

Steve N.

arthur

« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2007, 06:32 am »
Thank you for the detailed reply.

I'm interested.

do you know of anyone near Los Angeles who would allow me to audition the Pace Car? I'm a working class person so it is difficult for me to drop this kind of cash on a product (with no returns/satisfaction guarantee) without auditioning it.

thank you.

audioengr

« Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2007, 05:39 pm »
Thank you for the detailed reply.

I'm interested.

do you know of anyone near Los Angeles who would allow me to audition the Pace Car? I'm a working class person so it is difficult for me to drop this kind of cash on a product (with no returns/satisfaction guarantee) without auditioning it.

thank you.

The Pace-Car is too new.  I have none in LA yet.  In 6 months I'm sure there will be.

Steve N.

arthur

« Reply #10 on: 5 Sep 2007, 09:04 pm »
i just shook out all my couch change, sold a few extra body parts and hung a red light in my window to see if there is room for me in the Empirical Audio circle - i just sent the check for a Pace-Car to use it with an Apple AirPort Express   :drool:

As soon as i receive it and give it a couple of weeks to burn in, i'll write as detailed of a report as i can.

stay tuned.