User reviews of our new Fet Valve 600R & 400R amplifiers

Mr Peabody

Re: User reviews of our new Fet Valve 600R & 400R amplifiers
« Reply #60 on: 4 Jan 2012, 04:41 am »
Most here have just upgraded from another AVA amp, except for the comparison to the A21 there haven't been any mention of how the "R" series compare to other brands.  Can you say what league the AVA amps are in?  I haven't heard any AVA and wondered are they toe to toe with the likes of Levinson.

Also, as a potential customer some specs on the website would be appreciated, or additional specs.  For instance, the input impedance should have been posted to where one wouldn't have to ask.  I didn't see mention of features either like XLR/RCA other connections 12v trigger etc.  Another post mentioned no global feedback, if that's true it should be mentioned, I find that a nice attribute.  If a person is deciding on whether to bring an amp in for evaluation you want to get a feel for if it will meet your needs or wants.

pelliott321

« Reply #61 on: 4 Jan 2012, 03:03 pm »
Even though I decided not to keep My 400R, I think it is a very good amp.  I compared it to a pair of dbSystems monoblocks, a ClassD Audio digital amp and the TAD-60 (KT88).  The 400R certainly bested the dbSystems monoblocks and the ClassD Audio by a wide margin.  It was the 60watt/ch KT88 Chinese amp that I liked better.  To be completely fair we tested three preamps, and the sound was different as was expected with the different preamps.
Out of the group of friends that spent many hours of listening, one preferred the 400R no mater what preamp we used.
There were some that felt that the differences between the 400R and the TAD-60 were very slight and a toss up, and one preferred the TAD-60 over the 400R(me), no matter what preamp we used.
Now for complete disclosure, the best sound(for me) was with the TAD-60 in triode mode, but in this mode the TAD-60 could not play as loud as the 400R.  In triode mode the amp can only put out about 40watts.  So for careful listening at reasonable levels(less that 85db) its the triode mode for me, and if I want to rock out a simple switch and I can drive the Maggy's to the mylar slapping point which is around 95-100dbs 

trebejo

« Reply #62 on: 4 Jan 2012, 07:43 pm »
The tube vs. hybrid comparison is pretty interesting. I was so completely convinced that I preferred the U70 to the 550 that it took a good long hot summer to give the 550 a long listen. When I put the U70 back in, lo and behold, I had changed my preference.  :scratch:

The way I see it, different is not always better, but it can be fun anyway.  8)

tonyptony

« Reply #63 on: 5 Jan 2012, 01:45 am »
Even though I decided not to keep My 400R, I think it is a very good amp.  I compared it to a pair of dbSystems monoblocks, a ClassD Audio digital amp and the TAD-60 (KT88).  The 400R certainly bested the dbSystems monoblocks and the ClassD Audio by a wide margin.  It was the 60watt/ch KT88 Chinese amp that I liked better.

pelliott, I'm glad you were able to come to a satisfactory conclusion. I am a bit suprised about running the Maggies with a low power triode. I thought the Maggies were a much tougher load to drive.

rcag_ils

« Reply #64 on: 5 Jan 2012, 03:17 am »
I drove my maggie with a 20 w/ch triode, and a 40 w/ch ultralinear push/pull and couldn't get enough volume out of them.

murf

• Friends don't let friends apex early
« Reply #65 on: 5 Jan 2012, 03:28 pm »
"In our big hybrid power amplifiers, I can kind of give you a time line of the things that have been improved over the years.  Each made easily audible improvements in musicality and reduction of grain and listening fatigue, but almost none can be observed with our test equipment."

Wow,
  Frank set out a nice explanation of the improvements to the FetValve hybrid amps over time.  Can anyone put the names & dates on the models as they changed?  I get so confused by the fetvalve amp name progression....  :cry:

Murf

pelliott321

« Reply #66 on: 5 Jan 2012, 07:03 pm »
I am not going to go off topic here, other to say that at the factory Maggy demo's the 1.7, 3.7 with a 40 watt tube amp

avahifi

« Reply #67 on: 6 Jan 2012, 04:01 pm »
The Fet Valve 400R amp was received back yesterday in brand new condition and bench and system tests say it is just fine.

I really can't believe that a 60 watt tube amp would offer anywhere near the dynamics and transparency of a  Fet Valve 400R running power hungry Magnapans.  Oh well, we certainly are not going to please everyone.

In any event, we now have a lovely new 400R ready for a new owner and available right now.  Inasmuch as it is very slightly used, including a one hundred hour burn in on white noise, it is available at a $200 discount.  $2349 plus $45 shipping.

This unit has our standard black faceplate and an IEC AC power socket.

Call us at 651-330-9871 to order.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

avahifi

« Reply #68 on: 6 Jan 2012, 04:27 pm »
The 400R amp has sold.

That took all of ten minutes!   :)

Regards,

Frank

festuss

« Reply #69 on: 6 Jan 2012, 06:19 pm »
Cool!!! Yeah really, more watts is more control!   Bizarre. And it's IMPOSSIBLE that a 60W all tube, sounds better, I would put money that it sounds bloated and dull.  WATTS in AVA form, pristine, clear dynamic. More watts ain't louder, it's CONTROL, more current available, etc.  Been low power, and it stinks.  Watts in AVA form are LIVE.  60W ain't doing anything close what a much higher powered AVA is gonna do.  Especially AVA hybrid, best of both.  sonic Bliss.  He didn't mention having to "burn in" Chinaman.......sum ting wong.  The specs on the Chinaman, look ABYSMAL, I think perhaps this person wants very colored, dull, non lifelike sound.  It just doesn't make sense. But it's great someone  got it, and is gonna REALLY enjoy it!  AVA, sonic BLISS priced for mortals.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #70 on: 6 Jan 2012, 06:39 pm »
Be kind, remember "better" is in the ear of the beholder.  Not saying each is comparable but keep in mind Frank's valve amp is rated at 35 watts and he says it keeps pace with a 100 watt solid state amp.   

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #71 on: 6 Jan 2012, 06:42 pm »
It's pretty sad that a man gives his opinion and now he gets bashed for it.  The 30 trial is there for just what this buyer did.  Tried and it didn't meet HIS expectations

Why all the fuss over it?

avahifi

« Reply #72 on: 6 Jan 2012, 07:23 pm »
I agree.  This thread is open to user's opinions, and they are for sure their opinions, for better or for worse.

We can't assume that the user did not hear what he says he hears.  We might wonder about it, but can't deny it.  No point browbeating about it.

Calm down Festuss, the guy liked his 60W tube amp better, we can't change that.  One of his comments makes me wonder about the rest of his system though.  He claims that several listeners could hear no difference at all between the 400R and the tube amp.  I can only think this would be possible if the front end of his system was not very transparent at all.

I could also mention here that I have slowly come to realize that a really good preamp will help minimize major sonic differences between amplifiers.  A power amp has two musical problems in general, one is its own built in distortion.  The other is how it behaves on distortion from the source.  A great amp will not take the source distortion and distort it even more.  A lesser amp will add not only its own distortion, but will also further distort distortion from the source, making things worse.  If the source has minimal distortion, life is made a whole lot easier for the ho hum amplifier.  Differences should still be obvious on well recorded and dynamic source material, but a really good preamp is kind to the amps attached afterwords.  How this applies to pelliot's case I have no clue.  He just did not have the results I would have expected when the 400R went into his system.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

trebejo

« Reply #73 on: 6 Jan 2012, 08:34 pm »
It's not like he hated it either, he just liked something else better.

At the moment I keep going back and forth between the JBLs and the Tannoys. I think absolutes are hard to come by, and then you shoot past 'em because they're fixed and we're flabby squishy things. :bounce:

So in the end one user got a free audition at a great amp (and, I have to assume, kept another great amp) and another user got a great amp for a nice price break. Sounds like a good deal all around. Well, except that Frank lost a couple of Franklins, but he seems to be able to handle that petit contretemp.

pelliott321

« Reply #74 on: 6 Jan 2012, 09:25 pm »
You guys still do not know how to read very well,  We used three different preamps. The speakers were maggy iiia's The sound did not change that much between the preamps.
I also said the 400R was a very good amp
Frank you should have received ti back by now so I am waiting for the refund

avahifi

« Reply #75 on: 6 Jan 2012, 09:28 pm »
Hi Paul,

Your purchase price was credited back to your CC account today.

Thanks for your comments.  I wonder what DAC you were using, or was it all vinyl when using the FV400R?

Frank

festuss

« Reply #76 on: 7 Jan 2012, 10:39 am »
 :D  Absolute sound gave 400R Fet Valve  BEST BARGAIN amplifier, and a giant killer comment!  In this months issue.   Also best bargain for best sound, looks like the 400R and 600R Fet valve is yet another lineup  in the continuing AVA sonic bliss, for mortals.  45 years and still going strong.  Once you have AVA the other stuff just looks so grossly over priced and dumb.  Wonder which province in China his better sounding amp came from, cus they have different sounding ckts depending on the contamination in the water. When the boards are washed off during mfg, it affects the sound. This episode just baffles me.  Sum ting Wong.   

rcag_ils

« Reply #77 on: 7 Jan 2012, 10:54 pm »
Especially AVA hybrid, best of both.  sonic Bliss.  He didn't mention having to "burn in" Chinaman.......sum ting wong.  The specs on the Chinaman, look ABYSMAL, I think perhaps this person wants very colored, dull, non lifelike sound.  It just doesn't make sense.

I don't see how Frank could allow this kind of racist ranting in his thread, Festuss sounded like a sorry white ass living in a trailer park.

Pelliot likes what he likes and he has the right to do so. Festuss, whatever color fetus you are, knock that shit off.

pelliott321

« Reply #78 on: 9 Jan 2012, 01:29 pm »
I am still amazed that you are looking for fault with either me or my system, as for the reason why I rejected the 400R.
I never said it was anything wrong with the amp, only that it was not a big enough improvement over what I have to justify over $2500 expense.

My sources for Vinyl is a Sota Star Sapphire with Alphson 100HRS tonearm with shelter 501 series II cartridge
step-up is either Lundalh transformers or Vendetta Research SC1
For digital is a Sony 9000 for transport only, or Logitech Touch/ wintel music server no wireless connection
DAC is TwistedPear Buffalo II(Trident regulators)/Lagato3output with separate digital/analog powersupplies The buffalo uses the ESS Sabre 32bit chip.
Preamps are either the Transendent Sound Grounded grid or the Dodd Buffer
Power amp is the TAD-60 with KT88's in triode mode
Electronic Xover is Marchand XM9/Basis Bass Correction Equalizer set at 40hz.
I am only using the low pass filter for the Subs. The Maggy's are running full range
Subs are Janis One's powered by a 150 watt chip amp with over 200000 mfs in powersupply
Subs are flat from 40hs to below 20hz
Subs were not used during the evaluation of the 400R   

festuss

« Reply #79 on: 9 Jan 2012, 03:19 pm »
Nice stuff. :green: But does that tube amp run so hot it needs a chimney exhaust?  WOW. Looks like you also have several better sounding blocks of wood and metal things under electronic equipment....what does that actually do? Especially one in the center of a chassis which should be supported at the corners, so as to not flex and stress stuff inside, no?