GR-Research Speaker Cables build by Rock Ball

Danny Richie

Re: GR-Research Speaker Cables build by Rock Ball
« Reply #20 on: 7 Sep 2020, 08:38 pm »
Have you compared them to the Electra’s? Any circumstances where your preference for one over the other would change?

I like these a little better than the hand braided ones we were making and selling as the B-6 and B-4 models.

Early B.

« Reply #21 on: 7 Sep 2020, 09:03 pm »
OK, here are some proposed names for the speaker cables:

GR Research "Crisscross 24" and "Crisscross 16"

How about the Twisted Mystics?

If you want to maintain a similar nomenclature among your product offerings, how about the Exotica cable line? Add some ICs.

If you want to keep it super simple, what about the GR24 and GR16?

Rock Ball

« Reply #22 on: 7 Sep 2020, 09:04 pm »
Danny --
You got a name for these speaker cables???
I guess I should figure that out.

Whatever you do, don't name it the "GR-Research Speaker Cable Kit"....

Early B.

« Reply #23 on: 7 Sep 2020, 09:06 pm »
No wonder I was confused. My speaker cables arrived in this box:

Early B.

« Reply #24 on: 7 Sep 2020, 09:14 pm »

Definitely not!!!  :lol:

And a kit for speaker cables? Unbraiding and re-braiding the ends just to attach bananas or spades? 12 hours of OCD? Nah. These speaker cables are too "high end" to be offered in kit form, IMO. I was gladly willing to pay a little extra to get them professionally terminated. If they were sold in kit form only, I wouldn't have bought them.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #25 on: 7 Sep 2020, 09:20 pm »
I've been using this cable in my upstairs system for about a year and it's excellent.

Early B.

« Reply #26 on: 7 Sep 2020, 09:24 pm »
I've been using this cable in my upstairs system for about a year and it's excellent.

Agreed. It outperformed my previous custom copper ribbon cables that I owned for many years.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 7 Sep 2020, 09:39 pm »

But see that's not a bad way to do, just not fully written out.. :P

SC-16
SC-24

Barryg443

« Reply #28 on: 7 Sep 2020, 10:07 pm »
I’m gonna have to try these out!
Barry :D

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #29 on: 7 Sep 2020, 10:09 pm »
I like these a little better than the hand braided ones we were making and selling as the B-6 and B-4 models.
Many years back, Danny helped get started on a pair of the B-6 cables- and then I took it home and spent close to 2 days trying to save a few bucks.  I've still got the cables, but I'd certainly not do that again.  This sounds like a MUCH easier way to build a set of good speaker cables. 
That experience ranks right next to replacing tonearm wires as something I'd pay to have someone else do after days of cussing. 

Jon L

« Reply #30 on: 8 Sep 2020, 12:11 am »
At first, I thought this was a variant of VH Audio's CHeLA speaker cables, which I have in my system, but this version is not as expensive.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #31 on: 8 Sep 2020, 12:23 am »
For what you get that’s a great price!  Very tempting.

Danny Richie

« Reply #32 on: 8 Sep 2020, 12:24 am »
We feed a poly/cotton rope through the center of the ones we assemble in house.

You can see it in Early B's pic. 

RonP

« Reply #33 on: 8 Sep 2020, 12:49 am »
Can we get a cryo'd version?  :icon_twisted:

Early B.

« Reply #34 on: 8 Sep 2020, 01:27 am »
We feed a poly/cotton rope through the center of the ones we assemble in house.

You can see it in Early B's pic.

Here's a couple of better pics:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #35 on: 8 Sep 2020, 12:22 pm »
Thank you Danny, I am glad you cleared up my confusion.
I would also suggest adding a 1" diameter 100% cotton rope in the center of the braid. The braid pops open by pushing it together lengthwise. get the rope* inside and the braid can be pulled back down over it tightly (I suggest wearing leather or fabric gloves to pull the braid back down saves your skin Teflon is really hard... Anyway to get the braid tight against the rope twist it back and forth a little bit while pulling it out, letting one hand slide along the cable while pulling. works great.
1" rope .If you could find a smooth 1 1/2" rope even better. but I never found one.
Also I wonder about the long pigtails at the ends. just a waste of the design. when I made my 'other brand' set I left the ends braided as close as I could leave them so only about 1/2" at the end not braided. It is true this made it harder to keep the wire lined up to get into the ends (I used WBT connectors, and WBT sleeves so easier... But is possible to do and looks way better.

*Taping/glue the very ends of the rope so the end does not unravel as you push it inside) really helps, I also trimmed/tapered the end of the rope just the last 1/2" in a cone shape to look better in the ends. It is very hard to judge the exact length of rope needed
For a perfectionist you might conplete adding in the rope once and then measure and take that rope out if too short. or trim it if too long. but then the second cable you will have the ability to measure the rope correctly from the first one.
Also is the insulation of The GR cable Teflon? as that is the main reason the Kimber is expensive. Plus the Teflon takes a long time to break in vs poly. The Teflon will sound 'bright' for weeks..

Danny Richie

« Reply #36 on: 8 Sep 2020, 02:13 pm »
We feed about a 5/8" rope through the middle of it, and push it through using a teflon tube.

They claim the jacket is Teflon, but it kind of feels a little like Polyethylene, but it is not like the polyethylene on our internal wire.

Early B.

« Reply #37 on: 8 Sep 2020, 05:35 pm »
Also I wonder about the long pigtails at the ends. just a waste of the design. when I made my 'other brand' set I left the ends braided as close as I could leave them so only about 1/2" at the end not braided. It is true this made it harder to keep the wire lined up to get into the ends (I used WBT connectors, and WBT sleeves so easier... But is possible to do and looks way better.

Long pigtails are required in some applications...

mkrawcz

« Reply #38 on: 19 Sep 2020, 01:48 pm »
So I just built a set of these and i happen to own a pair of Kimber 12VS cables that I use with my NX-Oticas. After about 8hrs of run time I compared the two and I think Danny's cables are slightly better. Not sure if its the actual cables or the fact that Danny's have tube connector barrels on the speaker end instead of bananas. I suspect they will get even better after 50hrs. So I would say the price is a steal and it's worth the hours it takes to terminate them.

Rock Ball

« Reply #39 on: 19 Sep 2020, 03:20 pm »
So I just built a set of these and i happen to own a pair of Kimber 12VS cables that I use with my NX-Oticas. After about 8hrs of run time I compared the two and I think Danny's cables are slightly better. Not sure if its the actual cables or the fact that Danny's have tube connector barrels on the speaker end instead of bananas. I suspect they will get even better after 50hrs. So I would say the price is a steal and it's worth the hours it takes to terminate them.

Did you insert rope in the middle of the cable?