Question: Sheffield Labs

jnobledaggett

Question: Sheffield Labs
« on: 21 Aug 2018, 04:41 am »
Is there anyone out there that happens to have the three original "Lincoln Mayorga & Distinguished Colleagues" LPs on vinyl and that also has purchased them on CD from Town Hall Records (http://townhallrecords.com/item.php?item_id=45&category_id=14)? If so, how do they compare?
Jim Knappenberger jnobledaggett

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Question: Sheffield Labs
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2018, 05:35 am »
I have the Sheffield set in CD only and the sound is great very organic analogue tone, I suppose the vinyl offer a more realistic sound stage when new. This link not worked for me.

jnobledaggett

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2018, 02:21 am »
Try here:
http://townhallrecords.com/
and then click on the "Sheffield Lab" link along the top.
I would love to do a comparison but I do not have a high end cd player.
Jim

Mr.Retro

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2018, 02:44 am »
Hi jnobledaggett,
      Lincoln Mayorga and Distinguished Colleagues Vol. III was the first DtoD offered by Sheffield Lab.  The Vol. III implies there are two others but there was only one album.  The second release was I've Got the Music in Me and the third was The King James Version. 
     This may help, but it's not precisely what you want:  I have #1 but it is still sealed, I have played #2 many times as well as the CD version and also the follow up vinyl production that was made from the session tape.  The originals have a certain smoothness to them and punch, the CD and follow up productions I find adequate for party use but severely lacking for critical listening.  I am guessing that a similar situation would exist for #1.  The CD obviously lacks range, detail, punch and that amazing live studio vibe.

jnobledaggett

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2018, 03:42 am »
If you are talking about Sheffield Lab DtoD LPs, this is the order:
S9 - Lincoln Mayorga & Dist. Colleagues, picture of lathe on cover, commonly called vol. 1, 1971
Vol 2 - The Missing Linc, pink cover with Mr. M. sitting in a chair, 1972
Vol. 3 - four pictures on cover, 1974
I just learned that Mayorga and Sax apparently "made" or recorded a Chopin album and a Brahms album, apparently DtoD and recorded in mono in the 1959 to 1965 time period.
I looked on the current Sheffield Lab website and discogs. Anyone have more info?

Mr.Retro

« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2018, 04:02 am »
You learn something every day!
Here I thought I had purchased the all the beginning albums when they first  became available in the 70's.   Just move me over to the novice side and I will learn a thing or two as this continues.

logean

« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2018, 06:14 am »
I have a Mendelssohn at Jamaica plain sealed copy that has "Sheffield records" logo recording date on the cover October 1973...... pre digital era... still a Lincoln Mayorga production...