Cool Story.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
Cool Story.
« on: 17 Dec 2018, 11:47 pm »
Last night Gord Bam ford and band played where my daughter Emily is a waitress. At the end, Gord had his band just play while he sat and listened. Emily was talking with their manager and she said she would like to sing with the band. The band, somewhat reluctant, agreed due to the manager's insistence.

They played the song "House of the Rising Sun" made famous by the Animals. They all had in ear monitors with no stage sound wedges, so she could not hear herself but had to go by how her vocal chords felt. Turns out she nailed the song.

Doing sound was a guy who had worked with Joni Mit chell and Jan Ar den. He has worked with Jan for over a decade, and they are good friends. He was completely blown away and said he had not been this excited about a performance in a long time and likens it to the discovery of Jan and that she is going to love this.

The manager was impressed and is having Emily send him 3 varying songs that he could pitch to Sony.

I think I got the facts right, but as always with second hand info I might have some points not exactly. Should be though.

Then today Emily tells us she is being nominated for a run at artist of the year in our local city.

I misspelled names as I don't want search engines to see this. I am trying to share something private with your guys in this public space.

Pretty cool, huh.

Rocket Ronny
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2018, 02:06 am by Rocket_Ronny »

reelvox

Re: Cool Story.
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2018, 11:50 pm »
Last night Gord Bam ford and band played where my daughter Emily is a waitress. At the end Gord had his band just play while he sat and listened. Emily was talking with their manager and she said she would like to sing with the band. The band, somewhat reluctant, agreed due to the manager's insistence.

They played the song "House of the Rising Sun" made famous by the Animals. They all had in ear monitors with no stage sound wedges, so she could not hear herself but had to go by how her vocal chords felt. Turns out she nailed the song.

Doing sound was a guy who had worked with Joni Mitchell and he is the one who discovered Jan Arden, worked with her for over a decade, and is close to her. He was completely blown away and said he had not been this excited about a performance in a long time and likens it to his discovery of Jan.

The manager was impressed and is having Emily send him 3 varying songs that he could pitch to Sony.

Then today Emily tells us she is being nominated for a run at artist of the year in our local city.

Pretty cool, huh.

Rocket Ronny

Amazingly cool...seriously. Can you post any samples of her?!

Don_S

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2018, 11:51 pm »
RR,  Thanks for sharing that.  :thumb:

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2018, 11:57 pm »
She is on Soundcloud.com and has a few songs there. I will give two links, one is her link and another one is with a musician she co-writes and sings with. Colaborated songs on the second link are: Bad Trip, Letters, Paramount, Realign, Pictures. I do also like Under Pressure and Handouts.

https://soundcloud.com/emily-vay
https://soundcloud.com/damianplagrange

You can also find her on Spotify.

Rocket Ronny
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2018, 02:11 am by Rocket_Ronny »

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2018, 12:33 am »
Cool story indeed.  :thumb:  Lovely voice, thanks for the links and sharing.  8)

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2018, 02:50 am »
Awesome story. Congrats to Emily and the proud papa.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2018, 03:16 am »
Congratulations Ronny :thumb:
If possible any sample would be great.

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2018, 05:42 pm »
Thanks guys.

If possible any sample would be great.

I did in the last post.

Rocket Ronny

artur9

« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2018, 05:54 pm »
That is off the charts cool.  All the best to you and your daughter.

toocool4

« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2018, 10:45 pm »
Nice, i wish your daughter well  :beer:

reelvox

« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2018, 11:12 pm »
Thanks guys.

I did in the last post.

Rocket Ronny

thanks! :D

reelvox

« Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2018, 11:14 pm »
you were not kidding..she has a very supple voice, with great tone. i wish her the very best! 8)

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #12 on: 19 Dec 2018, 12:11 am »
That music really only captures about half of what her voice is and she sings as good as her mother. She was going to go into opera where it really shines. Although I am glad she ditched the opera. This way she can write her own music and perform how she likes instead of singing someone elses songs and being beholden to the power brokers who pull the strings.

After the show she hung out in the bands tour bus and she did get a compliment from Gord, something like, you got a great set of pipes. He was talking about her voice.  8)

Rocket Ronny

OzarkTom

« Reply #13 on: 19 Dec 2018, 12:21 am »
So when is she moving to Branson?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #14 on: 19 Dec 2018, 02:40 am »
I really enjoyed her first two songs.

Thanks for posting this, and keep us in the loop in the future.

Michael

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #15 on: 19 Dec 2018, 03:09 am »
Will do. I will add to this thread but if anything happens it will be quite a ways off.

There are more songs on Spotify and she is working on 3 new ones. They will be the songs that get sent to Sony and will show up on Spotify, not Soundcloud.

Rocket Ronny

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 20 Dec 2018, 12:37 am »
That is pretty cool!  I wish her luck! :thumb:

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #17 on: 20 Dec 2018, 04:40 am »
Indeed, that is a very cool story! Of course, she really made her own 'luck', but the fortuitous circumstances that made that possible are really cool. She has real voice - clean, articulate, nuanced and supple. I admit that it's not really my flavor of music, but who cares? I can appreciate the qualities of her voice and the manner in which she deploys it (blessedly bereft of any hint of exaggeration in the interest of expression - all too rare, in my opinion). A door has cracked open; it sounds like she has what it takes to push through it. May it be.

BobM

« Reply #18 on: 20 Dec 2018, 02:28 pm »
Her voice and songs remind me a little of Vienna Teng, a truly remarkable and unique songstress and vocalist. If you haven't heard her, or if you would like to introduce Emily to Vienna's music she might find an influence she likes.

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #19 on: 24 Dec 2018, 06:13 pm »
Thanks for all the comments guys and wishing everyone a Merry Christmas.

Rocket Ronny