60 Yr. Old Kid at RMAF

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: 60 Yr. Old Kid at RMAF
« Reply #40 on: 22 Oct 2011, 11:11 am »
Hey Paul!!! How are the HSU's as a main in a small room (12 X 16-18)?? I want to run two setups both using the same front end-one with Virtue SS and one with MP-301 Tube?? Watch Tom Paul he and I talk so you know he must be crazy!!

OzarkTom

« Reply #41 on: 22 Oct 2011, 02:14 pm »
Hi Tom,

Glad to meet you and your wife early on Friday in one of the rooms.  I assume the Paul you are talking about is me.  If you come back next year, maybe arrive on Thursday night.  There are a bunch of AC members that arrive a day early and you can party with us then.  I agree that rooms in general were better sounding on Saturday and Sunday, but there were still some rooms that sounded good on Friday as well.

Cheers,
Paul Mah

p.s. I use the Hsu monitors (MK I version) in my bedroom system.  Very good sounding speakers at an unbelievable low price.  When compared with my other much more expensive stand mounted speakers, (AAD 2001, Heybrook H150) they lack fullness in the mid-range though.

Very nice to meet you Paul. I was there on Thursday but I still had to do the family thing with daughter. her husband, and grandkids. When you met me at the show, that was my daughter running around with me. Wife had no interest for some reason. My daughter's favorite was the $400K YG-Tenor set-up.

Do you use the sub with those HSU monitors? Hsu did play the speakers without the sub one time for one of the attendees, and it did lack the fullness as you said. Those must be played with the sub IMO.

Tom

DEV

« Reply #42 on: 22 Oct 2011, 02:39 pm »
Dev, now that makes me wish I had gone back to the Kaiser room. That was about the fifth room I went to on the opening day of the show. Since all rooms were sounding better on Sunday, the Kaweros might have been the lone #1 choice.

The sound was so special when I heard it, I felt there was no need to go back. If people are replacing their MBL 101's with these, that is really something. I just know that would have been the system I would have went home with if I had been a winner of any show system of choice.

MBL did tell me to keep watch for a new review from Absolute Sound on the 101E MKII's coming soon.

OzarkTom,

I love my MBL's and I'm finally really content with what I have paired them up with amplification wise but as we know in this hobby there is always something else around the corner that peaks our interest.

The MBL's like current to drive them properly which unfortuantely usually means big power to sound their best but then all kinds of other issues awise, I have heard them with less and to me was just lacking.

One thing that peaks my interest with these Kaiser Kaweros speakers is being able to drive them nicely with say the MasterSound tube amps, very interesting indeed and I look forward to hearing such some time down the road.

ltr317

« Reply #43 on: 22 Oct 2011, 08:41 pm »
Hey Paul!!! How are the HSU's as a main in a small room (12 X 16-18)?? I want to run two setups both using the same front end-one with Virtue SS and one with MP-301 Tube?? Watch Tom Paul he and I talk so you know he must be crazy!!

:lol:  Two peas in a pod?  My bedroom is approx. 12 X 14 X 10) and they play plenty loud.  I sometimes use my Sensation M451 in that room, and sometimes use an old Magnavox tube amp.  Both amps produce a nice, clean sound with of course, the Magnavox being a bit warmer tonally.  I think the current MK II version is about the same sensitivity as my MK I (91-92 db).  I think your MP-301 will drive them with no problem.  Up against my reference AAD 2001s, the Hsu lack some fullness in the mid-band and some transparency, but overall a fine sounding speaker and one that's cheap and cheerful.  I haven't heard JBLs in a long while, so can't comment on how they will stack up against your speakers.   

ltr317

« Reply #44 on: 22 Oct 2011, 08:50 pm »
Very nice to meet you Paul. I was there on Thursday but I still had to do the family thing with daughter. her husband, and grandkids. When you met me at the show, that was my daughter running around with me. Wife had no interest for some reason. My daughter's favorite was the $400K YG-Tenor set-up.

Do you use the sub with those HSU monitors? Hsu did play the speakers without the sub one time for one of the attendees, and it did lack the fullness as you said. Those must be played with the sub IMO.

Tom

Did your daughter have an interest in the sound, or was she tagging along to prevent you from opening your wallet?   :lol:  There were more women (wives, girlfriends, daughters, sisters, female audiophiles) and children at RMAF than any other show I've ever attended.  Some of the women and children actually were there to listen.  I actually like the smaller YGs better in the room next to the big ones.  The big YGs had severe bass overload when I was in there listening.

I don't use a sub in my bedroom, as there's no room for one.  I do have two subs in my living room, one for video, and the other for my Heybrook HB150s which only go down to approx. 40 hz.

If you come back next year, hang out with us for an hour or so.   

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #45 on: 22 Oct 2011, 08:57 pm »
Thanks Paul!!! The MP301 will be the amp for those and I can use my JBL sub. I will then have a two systems using the same front end-one tube/HSU and one Virtue/JBL. A buddy is building me a passive remote controlled pre-amp that I'm having configured so I can run the same front end with either amp and speakers. Before you ask I'll tell ya why?...LOL "Because I can, man!"...LOL.
 have a great weekend!! :thumb:

ltr317

« Reply #46 on: 22 Oct 2011, 09:04 pm »
Thanks Paul!!! The MP301 will be the amp for those and I can use my JBL sub. I will then have a two systems using the same front end-one tube/HSU and one Virtue/JBL. A buddy is building me a passive remote controlled pre-amp that I'm having configured so I can run the same front end with either amp and speakers. Before you ask I'll tell ya why?...LOL "Because I can, man!"...LOL.
 have a great weekend!! :thumb:

The passive pre-amp will give you nice transparency but at the expense of diminished dynamics.  It's been my experience with all passive pre-amps I've tried.  I kept my Superphon Revelation II passive pre-amp for the longest time, but I reluctantly sold it because I wanted more dynamics.  Best transparency of any pre-amp I've ever owned, either passive or active.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #47 on: 22 Oct 2011, 09:26 pm »
Paul I may loose some dynamics but the remote will save me a lot of steps and bending over--I have like zero balance now and my hands are very hard to use precisely so the remote is the most important thing-I never thought I'd write that... :scratch:

ltr317

« Reply #48 on: 23 Oct 2011, 05:08 am »
Paul I may loose some dynamics but the remote will save me a lot of steps and bending over--I have like zero balance now and my hands are very hard to use precisely so the remote is the most important thing-I never thought I'd write that... :scratch:

In that case, the remote is the best thing.  Do you have a remote for your Squeezebox too? 

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #49 on: 24 Oct 2011, 02:13 pm »
In that case, the remote is the best thing.  Do you have a remote for your Squeezebox too?

Hi Paul,

Just caught who you were here. Nice meeting you at RMAF. Hopefully you've chatted with Rollo.  :wink:
Sent pm.

cheers,

AJ