For Japanese knife enthusiasts....

SET Man

Re: For Japanese knife enthusiasts....
« Reply #120 on: 21 Mar 2014, 03:23 am »
Hey SET Man!

Stone flattener on clearance sale at Japan Woodworker:

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/Product/156223/Large-24-grit-Flattening-Stone-for-Water-Stones.aspx

Hey!

Thanks. :D

I also have been checking and considering the DMT that Rob mentioned but that cost more. It looks good and should last me a lifetime.

Or should I cheap out and get coarse sandpaper at Home Depot? Hmmm. :icon_lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #121 on: 21 Mar 2014, 04:59 am »
The 24 grit flattener will work...but eventually you'll have to flatten it as well.  The DMT plate is flat to something like three or four decimal places- plenty good for truing stones.  A DMT will eventually wear out if you use it as a sharpening "stone" (ie. doing knives on it) but it will last a very, very, very long time when just used to true water stones.  I've been using the same XXC for at least three or four years and it still cuts like new.  I've been using an XC for sharpening and that one is around five years old, and it still works pretty well.

The DMT is a little expensive in a way (about $85) but when you consider the fact it lasts forever it's a good value.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #122 on: 21 Mar 2014, 11:00 am »
SET Man,

If you already have a thick glass sheet or granite surface plate then you should definitely go with sandpaper.  But I wouldn't use sandpaper on any other work surface.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #123 on: 21 Mar 2014, 11:13 am »
I actually prefer drywall screen to regular sandpaper.  It's arranged in a net/screen pattern which helps carry the residue out of the way. 

SET Man

« Reply #124 on: 22 Mar 2014, 03:10 am »
Hey!

Drywall screen?  :o

Anyway, I've made my decision. I will go with DMT XXC. Yes, it is expensive, but I feel that since I have decent knives and stones I should maintenance it right. And the DMT should last many a years anyway and with this kind of things, the price will only go up not down.

BTW... guys what do you think about this knife? I think I might add a stainless to my set. Something not too expensive and that I can beat it up and don't have to worry about it much.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/goko.html

It is pretty for sure  :P

Take care,

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #125 on: 22 Mar 2014, 04:52 am »
That's a nice looking knife for not much $. 
Just got an Edgepro system the other day.  Still learning it, but after I get a couple of dozen blades done, I'll give a report here.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #126 on: 22 Mar 2014, 05:14 am »
Hey!

Drywall screen?  :o

Anyway, I've made my decision. I will go with DMT XXC. Yes, it is expensive, but I feel that since I have decent knives and stones I should maintenance it right. And the DMT should last many a years anyway and with this kind of things, the price will only go up not down.

BTW... guys what do you think about this knife? I think I might add a stainless to my set. Something not too expensive and that I can beat it up and don't have to worry about it much.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/goko.html

It is pretty for sure  :P

Take care,

I don't know that knife but it should be a good one.  Sanvik makes great SS, should be good edge retention and take a good edge.  The suminigashi pattern is just for looks but it does look nice! 

The DMT is a lot nicer than using sandpaper!  I think you'll be glad you went that route.  Only minor issue is stiction but it's not a big deal.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #127 on: 22 Mar 2014, 05:14 am »
That's a nice looking knife for not much $. 
Just got an Edgepro system the other day.  Still learning it, but after I get a couple of dozen blades done, I'll give a report here.

With a bit of practice I think you'll really love it.

SET Man

« Reply #128 on: 28 Mar 2014, 04:34 am »
Hey!

Well, look at what the FedEx guy delivered yesterday :D

Let's see what's inside...

OK, I admitted that I'm a sucker and bought the Goko...

But if if truth to be told, my first impression is that it looks better than it feel in hand. The fit and finish is not as good as good or feel as luxurious as my Misono Carbon. The good news is that the blade itself is pretty good and very sharp out of the box. The handle feel big for the size of the knife and light. With that the balance seems to be much more toward the front unlike my Misono of which seem to have a point of balance around it's bolster of which I'm used to.

For a current price of $119 it is a very pretty knife for sure. I sprung another $30 for the saya of which is well made and the wood is thicker than the one I got from Korin for my Misono but a bit too big for the Goko, it rattling around in it  :?

As for the DMT plate, it is heavy and feel very good but I haven't use it yet. But look like it will do the job of keeping my stones flat nicely.

Anyway, I bought it to be my stainless back up knife. But I will put the Goko to it paces tomorrow at work and see how it feel and handle all the tasks.  Well, I do think I have enough knives for work now :wink:

Take care,

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #129 on: 28 Mar 2014, 04:43 am »
That's pretty sexy!  Don't sweat the handle- they're basically disposable.  I have an $800+ gyuto with a $100 knife handle. :lol:  Doesn't affect the way it cuts.  Let us know how you like her once you've used her for a week. :thumb:

ctviggen

« Reply #130 on: 29 Mar 2014, 08:15 pm »
Which EdgePro system did you get? Is the Apex Model 1 good enough?  Or do you need a better one?  The better ones have ceramic hones and different stones.  I looked at a YouTube video where they told you how to use the system, and they used a 600 grit stone, which isn't in the first (cheapest) system.

asliarun

« Reply #131 on: 29 Mar 2014, 10:00 pm »
Nice to see so many knife enthusiasts and this long running thread. I am not pro level like most of you guys but have been slowly trying a few knives and different steels.

Just bought a 240mm Richmond Artifex yesterday. They are doing a limited charity run and this one has a red handle. Chopped a few onions with it. Man, what a nice knife! Long, thin, light, good edge out of the box, and very nicely balanced. I am already liking it better than my tojiro dp 240mm. Will like to see how well the aeb-l steel holds up over time. And it is priced very reasonably too.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riar210gyor.html

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #132 on: 30 Mar 2014, 05:55 am »
Which EdgePro system did you get? Is the Apex Model 1 good enough?  Or do you need a better one?  The better ones have ceramic hones and different stones.  I looked at a YouTube video where they told you how to use the system, and they used a 600 grit stone, which isn't in the first (cheapest) system.

Any of the Apex kits will be good.  It's the same machine regardless, they just add different/more stones.  You can get the basics and add stones down the road.  However it's a better deal to get it with more in the first place.  If you use mostly German knives (or similar) then the basic is enough.  If you're into Japanese knives you'll want more stones, though.

Nice to see so many knife enthusiasts and this long running thread. I am not pro level like most of you guys but have been slowly trying a few knives and different steels.

Just bought a 240mm Richmond Artifex yesterday. They are doing a limited charity run and this one has a red handle. Chopped a few onions with it. Man, what a nice knife! Long, thin, light, good edge out of the box, and very nicely balanced. I am already liking it better than my tojiro dp 240mm. Will like to see how well the aeb-l steel holds up over time. And it is priced very reasonably too.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riar210gyor.html

Nice!  The Artifex is a great knife.  I've sharpened a few for coworkers.  AEB-L is a fantastic steel, too.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #133 on: 30 Mar 2014, 06:33 am »
I have been waiting a long time to get this knife in my kitchen and do some long term testing with it.
"D" handle with Amboyna burl, brass bolster and pommel.
"01" carbon steel,  just so user friendly. You can chop dried hedge with it, the edge will not deform, and easy to reestablish the edge using a course steel rod.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #134 on: 30 Mar 2014, 07:16 am »
Nice, Bladesmith!  I have maybe 40 knives in O1; they're all from JK Handmade Knives.  Great steel.  Very good looking knife, too.  A little more belly than I generally prefer but quite beautiful.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #135 on: 30 Mar 2014, 09:46 am »
It is a little aggressive in design. More old fashioned. More versatile. Will do anything, not for the inexperienced. And my 01 steel is water quenched. My 01 is not your standard steel.

But, I am still a big nakiri fan, as far as daily use. (Although, you can't debone a chicken with a nakiri.)
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2014, 03:10 pm by bladesmith »

Richard in Idaho

« Reply #136 on: 30 Mar 2014, 02:50 pm »
Been looking at steak knives. W-S has Shun in sets of four but I only need two. Hate to pay for extras.
Did some checking on the wed sites listed here. Not a lot of Japanese steak knives available.
So the question I would like answered is what all of you use. Was thinking that another knife would work as well.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

cab

« Reply #137 on: 30 Mar 2014, 03:41 pm »
maybe because there isn't much steak in the Japanese diet...

SET Man

« Reply #138 on: 23 Apr 2014, 05:03 am »
Hey!

Well, it has been almost 3 weeks now since I got the Goko knife (see post #128), how time files.

Anyway, let's start this follow up by saying that for the current price of $120 it is a very good knife. For 2 weeks I put my Misono carbon away and use it exclusively. I use it for everything from meat, fish, veggies and etc. It perform well, the blade is sharp and it is very thin and well polish it actually have less drag than my Misono and that's impressive. Is also lighter and that's something I have to get use to at first.

It hold the edge well, start to show wear well in to second week. And this is impressive also. So, I gave it a good sharpening on my #1000 and #6000 stones and to my surprise it is quite easy to sharpen unlike some other stainless steel knives I've sharpen like Shun and my old 8" Korin of which I think both use VG10 core. And it is now actually sharper than when it was new out of the box. And another thing... everybody at my work love it, they love the look and it's sharpness. Most of them actually think it cost around $200-300 bucks. And

Any cons? Yes, the balance... I do like the balance of Misono better but the Goko is not far off for me. The handle is a bit too long for me and I wish the fit and finish of the handle could be better, I actually melted a bit of bee wax to seal the space between the blade and the handle so nothing get in side it.

So, do I like it better than my Misono carbon? Well, yes and no. I still like to use my Misono but it is nice to have a good sharp stainless that is light to switch over sometime.

I don't have many knives. But I can confidently say that I do recommended this knife if you are looking for a light sharp stainless and you can live with this type of handle. I have to say that for $120 it is an impressive knife.

Take care,

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #139 on: 23 Apr 2014, 05:26 am »
Cool!  Some of those Swedish stainless steels really feel and sharpen like regular high carbon. :thumb:  Nice to see edge retention is good.  'Civilians' talk about sharpening a knife a couple times per year but that doesn't fly in a restaurant kitchen! :duh: :lol:  If I can go a couple weeks without messing with it I'm happy.  My M390 Ultimatum held an edge for 3 months!