Viva Odyssey!

amandarae

Viva Odyssey!
« on: 23 Mar 2004, 07:29 am »

See the blue lights.....feel the blue lights!

Eduardo AAVM

Viva Odyssey!
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2004, 04:35 pm »
Congratulations your set up looks really good...
And I assume it sounds better...

Christophe35

Viva Odyssey!
« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2004, 04:39 pm »
Eduardo,

What cdp you find sound best with odyssey gears, in different price levels ?

Christophe

Eduardo AAVM

Viva Odyssey!
« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2004, 05:19 pm »
I haven't had much experience with CD's lately, I find that sound from CD players is very similar unless you pay more than 1.5k and sometimes not even that way.

Also from my point of view (in my country) if a 800 USD CD player won't sound much much better than a 350 USD better I recommend to save the money and invest it on acoustical materials, cables, or somethingthat has a high impact on sound, even on more CD's.

I have played:

Myryad MCD-200
Rotel RCD-1072
harman/kardon hk 7600 II
SONY SCD-X670 (SACD/CD)
Panasonic F65 (DVD as CD with upsampling and DVD-A Stereo)
Denon DCM-370

Myryad had high output but the most was the most analytical, good soundstage and 3D but sound was cold or uninspiring. Maybe the best (overall)  but it costs here around 1700 USD. (and the Denond later sounded very good)

Rotel was ok, I think it is designed from outside to inside (to look impressive to some guys) one think that I didn't like was that when I used with a Myryad integrated amp it sounded practically the same as a Philips DVD711 player. So it made me wonder and feel uncertain. Maybe it was just a matter of the amp input circuit. It was a friend's player so it was just a couple of hours session.

harman/kardon 7600II  is a nice unit but from 14+ years ago, used by some as reference player (in it's time) it now lacks detail and precission, yet I think it sound a little bit veiled but pleasant not so digital. It remembers me a time when CD's used to sound different. (Was my fav until Denon arrived and was "tweaked")

SONY as CD sounds ok but a litle bit uncontrolled on high frequencies, whistle like, also bass is not as well constructed as in other units. I like it is a sinlge disc player and the display on/off function. I'LLINSTALL SOME CONES AND FIND OUT IF IT IMPROVES.

Panasonic F65 I liked it more than the SONY more accurate sound and better bass, but not so open, also with a strange name kind of upsampling that sometimes helps. Mechanism is really nice (5 disc). You need a TV to acces menus.

Denon DCM-370 is my favorite but just after 2 tweaks: AS cones and unplugging the headphone cable inside, it now sounds open a little bit dry but nice with good bass and the variable output helps me a lot with my RCless-Tempest. Before the cones and cable tweak it sounded very 2D, dry, limited. (Sometimes I wonder if the tweaks really made such a difference)

I am looking a higher grade player, but also I want great value, specially I am looking units with higher capacitance,  maybe the Tjoeb or maybe one from AudioAgile. Also as options a Scott Nixon or another DAC.

All of the above are my personal ideas based on my subjective experience, tastes and hearing system.

Regards.

Christophe35

Viva Odyssey!
« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2004, 11:41 pm »
Thanks Eduardo for the information.
I think a good cdp makes a really big difference but they are usually expensive. The symphonic line, around 2.5K, probably worth a listen.
My next player will be high level, so maybe this kind of price, maybe less (would be good). I wait to see what will happen with sacd and dvd as mpy future player will support the new standart that will stay, assuming they will be one.

Christophe

rosconey

Viva Odyssey!
« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2004, 11:43 pm »
try a toshiba sd 3950 for 70$-you might be surprised :o

amandarae

Viva Odyssey!
« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2004, 11:49 pm »
Thanks Eduardo!

Yes,  the sound is great!

JoshK

Viva Odyssey!
« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2004, 11:56 pm »
AmandaRae,

Give us a run down of your equipment we are looking at or atleast a link to your system list.

Eduardo AAVM

Viva Odyssey!
« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 2004, 12:00 am »
Quote from: rosconey
try a toshiba sd 3950 for 70$-you might be surprised :o

Could you compare it to something else ?

Christophe35:

2.5k Der Erlechtung ? It is not soo expensive I thought it was much more expensive.

Lindemann units also are very interesting.

JoshK

Viva Odyssey!
« Reply #9 on: 24 Mar 2004, 12:03 am »
Have you ever seen the capacitors in the Der Erlechtung?  :o  Holy cow!  I thought that was an amp at first!   I'd love to hear it.  Blue Circle seems to have the same philosophy with power supply capacitance.

rosconey2000

Viva Odyssey!
« Reply #10 on: 24 Mar 2004, 12:04 am »
Eduardo AAVM-
take a look at the digital forum at audio asylum.
lots of happy campers

amandarae

Viva Odyssey!
« Reply #11 on: 24 Mar 2004, 12:46 am »
JoshK,

Some of the pictures of my system are in the gallery here (page 19, Titled:Yepp!).

Or, you can go to http://www.martinloganowners.com/sys6book/guestbook_view.html If you are not in the mood to follow the link, here is a list.

Teres 255 TT, OL Silver arm, Benz Ace mid loaded at 1K
Wright Sound WPP100C Phono pre, RCA blackplates and Telefunken tubes
K&K Lundahl L9206 step up transformer set to 14 dB
MapletreeAudiodesign Octal6A triplex with upgraded parts
Odyssey Monos (of course!)
Martin Logan Ascents
Jolida JD100A CD player modded by Parts Connexion
Two-56 liters downfiring sealed subwoofer with 12" drivers (Shiva MKIV)
All power cords are VD's
IC's are Venhaus Design and Groneberg TS premiums

BTW, the whitish small box on the rack near the phono preamp is a Hagerman FryKleeaner.

Also, I am waiting delivery for my Supratek Chenin (upgraded Syrah) preamp.  So, I'll post that in the gallery as well when it gets here.

Cheers.......

Matthew Wilson

Viva Odyssey!
« Reply #12 on: 24 Mar 2004, 03:14 am »
It is, without doubt, a very stylish looking system. Congrats!!!

amandarae

Viva Odyssey!
« Reply #13 on: 24 Mar 2004, 03:48 am »
Thanks for the compliment Matthew!
 :D

Christophe35

Viva Odyssey!
« Reply #14 on: 24 Mar 2004, 10:23 am »
Eduardo, the price was for the new SL cdp, the previous one, which still exists, is around 5K. Klaus said that both units are very close in performance, the less expensive being slighty less good. I looked at the price of the new cdp on the SL web site and it's a little higher , 2.9 K.
Der erleuchtung if the SL preamp, not cdp.

Christophe

Eduardo AAVM

Viva Odyssey!
« Reply #15 on: 24 Mar 2004, 03:17 pm »
Thanks you are right... Der Erlechtung is the tube pre.

Welllmaybe it's time for a CD upgrade.

F-100

Viva Odyssey!
« Reply #16 on: 24 Mar 2004, 05:06 pm »
Amandarae,
  What kind of amps are you using to drive the subwoofers?

amandarae

Viva Odyssey!
« Reply #17 on: 24 Mar 2004, 05:45 pm »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Viva Odyssey!
« Reply #18 on: 30 Mar 2004, 09:30 am »
Quote from: amandarae
JoshK,

Some of the pictures of my system are in the gallery here (page 19, Titled:Yepp!).

Or, you can go to http://www.martinloganowners.com/sys6book/guestbook_view.html If you are not in the mood to follow the link, here is a list.

Teres 255 TT, OL Silver arm, Benz Ace mid loaded at 1K
Wright Sound WPP100C Phono pre, RCA blackplates and Telefunken tubes
K&K Lundahl L9206 step up transformer set to 14 dB
MapletreeAudiodesign Octal6A triplex with upgraded parts
Odyssey Monos (of course!)
Mart ...
Besides the equipement, thats a great looking rack you have !! The perfect fit , nice job !! :)

amandarae

Viva Odyssey!
« Reply #19 on: 30 Mar 2004, 07:10 pm »
Lonewolfny42,

Thank you!

Abe