Tempest Vs. Candela

John151

Tempest Vs. Candela
« on: 24 Oct 2007, 09:13 pm »
Has anyone upgraded from a Tempest to a Candela, or at least auditioned both?  I have gotten the tube bug, and am jonesin for some tubes.   :drool:
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2007, 10:59 pm by John151 »

Bigfish

Re: Tempest Vs. Candela
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2007, 10:47 pm »
Has anyone upgraded from a Tempest to a Candela, or at least auditioned both?  I have gotten the tube bug, and am jonesin for some tubs.   :drool:

John151:

I did not change from a Tempest to a Candela as I started with the Candela.  However, I have used it since June with the stock JJTesler Tubes and am waiting for some Telefunken and Amperex Bugle Boys to arrive so I can determine how they impact the sound from my system.  I have had no issues with the Candela and I really like it with the Mono SEs.

Ken

mcullinan

« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2007, 11:57 pm »
I had the Candela, now Tom S owns it. I think it is a great pre that was quiet and with Rca cleartops circa 1950 it had a sweet extended top end and tight bottom. I can't really compare the two.. But a tubes pre always gives a nice air to instruments.
mike

bunky

« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2007, 12:19 am »
Has anyone upgraded from a Tempest to a Candela, or at least auditioned both?  I have gotten the tube bug, and am jonesin for some tubes.   :drool:
I own both the Tempest and the Candela.I love tube preamplifiers and the Candela works extremely well with Solid state power amps like the Mono extremes and equally well with tube power amps. i have used my Candela with my Mono Extreme SE's and my Sonic Frontiers Sfs 80 tube amp and my Balanced Audio Technology VK 60 tube amp.the Candela is a very musical preamp  :thumb: thanks....WCW III

John151

« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2007, 12:30 am »
Bunky - Any thoughts on the sound difference between the two?  Also, is your Tempest regular, or extreme? 

BTW - I am very pleased with my Tempest - the sound is fantastic.  My desire to upgrade is mostly a desire to upgrade - part of the sickness I guess.   :duh: