System voicing,,,

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
System voicing,,,
« on: 9 Aug 2003, 03:04 am »
Hi Klaus, I`m in the early stages of replacing my home theater speakers of 10-18 years with a high end floorstanding system. My question concerns a description of voicing between your speakers during the naming contest. You stated that the Nemisis is perfectly voiced with the Circe/Empiphony. What of the Nightingale? Or the Lorelei? I would be looking for floorstanding speakers for the front & rear, with a front & rear center channel speaker. Maybe 2 pairs of Nightingales for the mains/rears with 2 Nemisis for the front & rear center speakers. But seeing how you only have one center channel speaker in the Nemisis, the mains would need to be voice-matched with it. Could you give me any advise Klaus on a sonicly matched system and would you be willing to dicker on the price of a 6 speaker purchase? As it is, your prices are very attractive as they :D are but we are talking about 3 pairs of speakers here. :wink: Thank you. Regards, Robin

Marbles

System voicing,,,
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2003, 04:20 am »
I think you should call Klaus after 12:00 noon central standard time.

(317) 299-5578

He is very interesting to talk too  :wink:

satfrat

• Restricted
System voicing,,,
« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2003, 09:15 am »
So Marbles, you say that the Lorelei`s are VERY,VERY good, heh? Mmmm, they ARE much more manly than the skinny Nightingales. :D I wonder how 4 Lorelei`s would handle classical music? I`ve never had speakers without grills before, exposed speakers give me a chill. :| Do you have any idea what variety of finishes Klaus has for the Lorelei? Maybe in oak, to match my Sanus Component Audio & A/V racks that each have oak trim? Also, any idea what the speaker top dimensions are? The base is 9" x 15" but the top looks smaller than that. AND, what does the Lorelei have for feet? Are spikes available instead? Damn you Marbles, you HAD to go and stir up the impulsiveness in me, didn`t you? :nono:  :lol: Thanks!!! Regards, Robin

Marbles

System voicing,,,
« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2003, 02:30 pm »
I demo'd some in black oak, and I'm pretty certain that he has some in a regular oak cabinet as well.

The top is smaller because the back goes straight up, as do the sides, but the front angles back slightly.  No Idea on what the dimensions are though..the width stays the same.

The lorelies would do very well with classical and Rock IMO.  Very dynamic speakers.

I don't remember what the feet were.  

As mentioned above, give Klaus a call  :wink:

icefox

System voicing,,,
« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2003, 09:20 pm »
Curious to know if Lorelei also use "LEGO" as the interfacing to the ground support for the speaker.

zzzone

System voicing,,,
« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2003, 07:56 pm »
I have the black Lorelei's and and am quite sure they are ash...not oak. The speakers are beautifully put together and the finish is very very nice.

Not sure whether or not Klaus has added an oak cabinet or not.

satfrat

• Restricted
System voicing,,,
« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug 2003, 08:13 pm »
Quote from: zzzone
I have the black Lorelei's and and am quite sure they are ash...not oak. The speakers are beautifully put together and the finish is very very nice.

Hi, I just ordered 2 pair of Lorelei`s and 2 Nemisis centers, all in a medium oak finish. It was my understanding that the cabinets would be oak, not ash with oak stain. I truely hope this to be the case. Either way, I`m pretty excited about this move to a quality high end loudspeaker system. :D  BTW ZZZone, would you do me a favor and give me the exact measurements of the Lorelei`s top? AND, do you use spikes on your Lorelei`s, if not what? Regards, Robin

satfrat

• Restricted
System voicing,,,
« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2003, 03:11 am »

Zzone, just to clarify from Klaus, you do indeed have an ash venneer and I will have an oak veneer. Now I must patiently wait,, :smoke:  Regards, Robin

Captain Humble

System voicing,,,
« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2003, 03:20 am »
Satfrat,
I've got a pair of Loreleis coming as well.
Any word on type of feet?

satfrat

• Restricted
System voicing,,,
« Reply #9 on: 20 Aug 2003, 03:59 am »
Quote from: Captain Humble
Satfrat,
I've got a pair of Loreleis coming as well.
Any word on type of feet?
  Your the one with the speakers, why don`t you tell me what`s under there Cap.? All I know is that the Lorelei`s come with a choice of self-adhesive cones, gold/or black. I chose gold and cones are all I`m really interested in for feet. I did think about installing 1/4-20 inserts for threaded cone and Klaus warned me that the crossover system is located at the base of the speaker so I`ll settle for adhesive cones, maybe placed on a marble base. How do you have your Lorelei`s set up? Regards, Robin

Captain Humble

System voicing,,,
« Reply #10 on: 20 Aug 2003, 11:05 am »
Satfrat,
I didn't say I have a pair.  :nono:
I said I have a pair COMING.  That means they aren't here yet. :cry:

My red cherry Loreleis should arrive the first week in September.  I didn't think to ask about the feet when I placed my order, so thanks for doing the research.  I guess I'll let my wife choose the color of the cones.

Setup:
Klaus was in Dallas midwinter and I had the opportunity to spend some time with him.  He listened to my Marble 9.0s and made a slight adjustment to their placement.  The face of the 9.0s are 4 feet from the rear wall and they are about 9' 10" apart.  I have a huge wall unit between the speakers so this puts them slightly outside and in front of the wall unit.  The right speaker is about 1' from the side wall and the left is about 4' 10' from the side wall (There is a large opening on the left that leads to the game room).  They are toed in very slightly, my guess is something between 5 and 10 degrees.  I asked him about placement for the Loreleis and he said to position them exactly where he put the 9.0s.  When they arrive I'll post a picture in the gallery.

I'm going to use one of my Norh Marble 9.0s as a center and a pair of 9.0s as surrounds.  Voicing should be most excellent since both the Loreleis and the 9.0s use the same Scanspeak tweeters.  The midbass on the 9.0s are also Scanspeak just a little smaller then the one's Klaus uses.

BTW, Klaus told me the break in period is about 200 hours on the Loreleis.

Thanks again,
Jeff

satfrat

• Restricted
System voicing,,,
« Reply #11 on: 20 Aug 2003, 03:54 pm »
Quote from: Captain Humble
Satfrat,
I didn't say I have a pair.  :nono:
I said I have a pair COMING.  That means they aren't here yet. :cry:

Whoops :oops:, Please Captain Humble accept my humble apologises :notworthy: , gee, I even quoted you to boot! I don`t know about this lego thing but I wasn`t concerned about it at the time so all I asked Klaus about was the cones. It was Klaus that suggested the gold and he said they weren`t cheap ones either. :D I would hope to hear about your impressions on the Lorelei, sounds like a sweet setup there with the Norh`s and all (looks AND sound-wise). Would you mind sharing what you`ll have driving all these sweet sounding speaks? And congratuations to you also! :singing: Regards, Robin

zzzone

System voicing,,,
« Reply #12 on: 21 Aug 2003, 02:08 am »
Ok...the Lorelei's are 9 1/2" wide...41" high......they taper in depth from 11 1/2 " at the top to 14" at the bottom..hope this helps.

Also..I have the stainless steel (silver) cones...adhesive type,,, they have never given me any grief and I can assure you they are like everything else Klaus does...A1 quality!!!!!!!!!!

Captain Humble

System voicing,,,
« Reply #13 on: 21 Aug 2003, 12:59 pm »
Satfrat,
I have very high expectations for my Lorelei/Marble 9.0 combination, but your 4 Loreleis should rule at this price point and probably well beyond it.

I fully intend to post my impressions once those babies are broken in and look forward to hearing your review of both the Loreleis and the Lorelei/Nemisis combo.

When do you expect them?

What are your other components?

I bought a Dual Mono from Klaus about a year ago and it will drive the Loreleis.  When I purchased the Dual Monos, I also bought a Denon 3802.  It has done a very nice job driving my current center (Marble 9.0) and a pair of B&W P5s I am running as surrounds.  The Denon is serving as the preamp for my entire system.  

My next purchase will either be one of Klaus's Tempests with H/T bypass or an upgrade to my digital source.  Leaning toward Tempest.

Jeff

satfrat

• Restricted
System voicing,,,
« Reply #14 on: 21 Aug 2003, 04:04 pm »
Jeff, my system is listed here at AC. I run a c-band satellite system that has both analog & digital capabilities. I`ve been going nuts this year on Bybee`s (21) but have reached to point where I was tied of tweaking mid-fi components so I did a high dive into the pool of debt! :lol: On order is a Sunfire Theater Grand 3; 2 Butler Audio tube hybrid amps w/150wpc thru 6 channels; and the 6 Odyssey loudspeakers. I`m getting Ridge Street Audio Midnight Silver Edition interconnects for the 6 channels & speaker wire for the 3 front speakers along with a double Bybee digital cable  and SignalCable double wire single run speaker wire for the back 3. (with 45 ft. runs, I went cheap quality) I`m running Ven Haus power cords on everything. I`ll be 2 years paying off my CC. My Lorelei`s/Nemisis are due toward the end of september. It`s a labor of love for music in the making. But I do watch sports, just not as much as I use too and probablt a whole lot less in the near future. :wink: Regards, Robin

satfrat

• Restricted
System voicing,,,
« Reply #15 on: 21 Aug 2003, 05:58 pm »
Ok...the Lorelei's are 9 1/2" wide...41" high......they taper in depth from 11 1/2 " at the top to 14" at the bottom..hope this helps.

Also..I have the stainless steel (silver) cones...adhesive type,,, they have never given me any grief and I can assure you they are like everything else Klaus does...A1 quality!!!!!!!!!!
          Damn, I was only given a choice of black or gold. Silver/stainless steel is what I have now and would also be my first choice on the Lorelei. Looks like I`m gonna have to plead to Klaus somemore. He should be tiring from my calls by now. :roll: Regards, Robin

klaus@odyssey

System voicing,,,
« Reply #16 on: 23 Aug 2003, 08:55 pm »
Hi Robin,  & Guys,

Robin,  got your call,  and will get back with you in more detail.

Anyway,  Russ,  check the color of the cones,  and you'll see that they're actually gold.  Depends on the angle and lighting.

Indeed,  right now we only sell the Audio Selection cones ( which are absolutely superb) only in black and gold.

Captain Jeff,  the Loreleis will be shipped on time next week.

Late,

Klaus

zzzone

System voicing,,,
« Reply #17 on: 24 Aug 2003, 12:52 am »
:roll: ....oh man.....sorry sar. Klaus (of course) is correct.....don't I feel like the colour-blind one???

satfrat

• Restricted
System voicing,,,
« Reply #18 on: 24 Aug 2003, 01:25 am »
Klaus, send me both and I`ll make up my mind and send back the ones I don`t use. Unless of course you just wanta talk about it first, we gots plenty of time before my oak Lorelei`s are ready. :D Regards, Robin