Khartago monoblocks extreem for MG IIIa's

NJBOB

« on: 26 Mar 2006, 10:15 pm »
To all, I just registered becuase I need some advice. I have a pr of magnepans comming back from the factory (total rebuild) and currently have a BK 422 (350 watts 4ohms with 70 amps, 160,000 uf) Is a pretty good amp 13 years old. I just spoke with a man who will sell me the Khartago monoblocks and I wanted to know will these drive my speakers,  will they sound much better than my BK. I'm a man on a budget and this purchase will whipe me out for a while and I just wanted to hear what you all have to say. I was going to look for a second BK  or Aragon 4004 or PS HCA2 and BI amp the speakers

bunky

Re: Khartago monoblocks extreem for MG IIIa's
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2006, 11:15 pm »
Quote from: NJBOB
To all, I just registered becuase I need some advice. I have a pr of magnepans comming back from the factory (total rebuild) and currently have a BK 422 (350 watts 4ohms with 70 amps, 160,000 uf) Is a pretty good amp 13 years old. I just spoke with a man who will sell me the Khartago monoblocks and I wanted to know will these drive my speakers,  will they sound much better than my BK. I'm a man on a budget and this purchase will whipe me out for a while and I just wanted to hear what you all have to say. I was going to look for a second BK  or Aragon 4004 or PS HCA2 and BI amp the speakers
Welcome to the audio circles, i previously owned a pair of the Khartago monoblocks upgraded with the Plitron transformers and the specs on mine were 120.000 uf per channel with 150 wpc per side into 8 ohms and 100 amps of high current delivery. i have owned amplifiers by Rotel ,BK and Parasound to name a few and none of them can even play in the same yard as the Odyssey amplifiers.specs have nothing to do with the Quality of the sound. i owned a 200 wpc Rotel rb 1080 power amp before i purchased the Khartago monos and the little monoblocks walked all over the Rotel and sounded much more open,smooth and powerful and exerted much more control over my loudspeakers. may i ask how much this gentleman is asking for the Khartago monos ? if i were you i would talk to Klaus and see if he will have a pair of used ones for sale because i Know a friend of mine who is trading in a pair of Khartago monos in order to step up to a pair of mono extremes. Dealing with Klaus Bunge is always a pleasure and he will never try to sell you something that you dont want or need. thanks....WCW III

Christof

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2006, 11:33 pm »
Earlmarc, a member here, uses Khartgo monos with Maggies shoot him a private message and ask him what he thinks.  I will be using Khartago mono extremes with a pair of SP Technologies speakers which are very hungry, 85db 1w/m @4ohm and I'm having no second thoughts.  Join the Odyssey family :wink:

NJBOB

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2006, 11:56 pm »
Quote from: bunky
Welcome to the audio circles, i previously owned a pair of the Khartago monoblocks upgraded with the Plitron transformers and the specs on mine were 120.000 uf per channel with 150 wpc per side into 8 ohms and 100 amps of high current delivery. i have owned amplifiers by Rotel ,BK and Parasound to name a few and none of them can even play in the same yard as the Odyssey amplifiers.specs have nothing to do with the Quality of the sound. i owned a 200 wpc Rotel rb 1080 power amp before i purchased the Khartag ...

$1100+

bearsfan

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2006, 11:58 pm »
Hi,

The gentlemen is asking $1100 for the monoblocks with the upgraded transformer. These are priced accordingly as they are only 6 months old. And I am the guy selling them!

bunky

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2006, 12:04 am »
Welcome to the audio circles, i previously owned a pair of the Khartago monoblocks upgraded with the Plitron transformers and the specs on mine were 120.000 uf per channel with 150 wpc per side into 8 ohms and 100 amps of high current delivery. i have owned amplifiers by Rotel ,BK and Parasound to name a few and none of them can even play in the same yard as the Odyssey amplifiers.specs have nothing to do with the Quality of the sound. i owned a 200 wpc Rotel rb 1080 power amp before i purchased the Khartag ...

$1100+
i believe i paid $1.550 new. Odyssey gear holds its value well but to me $1100+ seems a bit steep for a used pair. call Klaus and see what he can do for you. and tell him that william says hello! thanks....WCW III

bunky

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2006, 12:32 am »
i believe i paid $1.550 new. Odyssey gear holds its value well but to me $1100+ seems a bit steep for a used pair. call Klaus and see what he can do for you. and tell him that william says hello! thanks....WCW III
i pmed Bears fan and he says he paid $1600+ not including shipping so if he is taking a $500 hit on a pristine six month old pair his asking price may not be unreasonable at all. my bad !thanks....WCW III

bearsfan

« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2006, 10:02 am »
Hi WCW III

Thanks for clearing that up on the asking price for me. I started out with $1100, but I do have an OBO next to that, plus I will also split shipping. These came out of the box, and have not been moved since, other than to take photos. I guessed at a fair price, and went from there. As I mentioned, I'll entertain offers, but not lowballers. And if they don't sell, it won't really hurt my feelings. I am just trying to get some cash for the daughter...

My thanks..

BF :wink:

NJBOB

Took the plunge, pulled the trigger, purchased new Khartago
« Reply #8 on: 30 Mar 2006, 04:41 pm »
AFter all I've been reading and not reading (anything negative all Positive) I spoke with Klause and ordered my new amps. I cant wait. Just think I get to break in the amps with my speakers at the same time (total rebuild MGIIIa's). My next step will be cables....Looking foward to being part of the forum

Bob

bunky

Re: Took the plunge, pulled the trigger, purchased new Khart
« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2006, 09:28 am »
AFter all I've been reading and not reading (anything negative all Positive) I spoke with Klaus and ordered my new amps. I cant wait. Just think I get to break in the amps with my speakers at the same time (total rebuild MGIIIa's). My next step will be cables....Looking foward to being part of the forum

Bob
Welcome aboard NJBOB,i would recommend the Groneberg TS premium ic and speaker cable from my own personal experience.i sent my mono extremes in for a "check up" and had Klaus wire them internaly with the TS premium cable as well. i imagine that if you request it while you are having your Amps built  he could do the same for you. congradulations. thanks....WCW III

Bob A (SD)

« Reply #10 on: 2 Apr 2006, 05:25 pm »

I'm running biamped MG IIIAs using a pair of Odyssey Stratos Monoblocks.  Augmenting these is a custom 18" sub driven by a Parasound amp.  These Odyssey amps work extremely well with the Maggies.  The high current capabilities ( > 120 amps) and stability at low resistance allow more than enough "umph" to drive the Maggies to their full output capabilities with tremendous headroom reserves.  

I believe the Khartago monoblocks output in the >30 amp current range.  Whether their lesser current output would make any significant sonic difference vis-a-vis Stratos monoblocks in driving the Maggies I don't know.

bunky

« Reply #11 on: 2 Apr 2006, 09:04 pm »
Quote from: Bob A (SD)
I'm running biamped MG IIIAs using a pair of Odyssey Stratos Monoblocks.  Augmenting these is a custom 18" sub driven by a Parasound amp.  These Odyssey amps work extremely well with the Maggies.  The high current capabilities ( > 120 amps) and stability at low resistance allow more than enough "umph" to drive the Maggies to their full output capabilities with tremendous headroom reserves.  

I believe the Khartago monoblocks output in the >30 amp current range.  Whether their lesser current output  ...
Hey Bob, i have the spec sheet for my Khartago monos from when i owned a pair of them. it says 2 x 150 watts into 8 ohms class A/AB RMS        >100 amps current  which is over three times the amperage of a khartago stereo amplifier RMS! like klaus told me when i inquired about the khartago monos "once you convert them to mono it opens up the floodgates"                                              120.000 uf capacitance. and this is with the standard 300+ va toroidal transfomers listed and not the 400 va Plitron transformers that were under the hood in my pair. the upgraded Khartago monos are little Hotrods and will power the Maggies with no problem.thanks....WCW III

TheChairGuy

« Reply #12 on: 4 Apr 2006, 02:47 am »
Bunky, I think I got the preemo hot-rodded Khartago's here, too...Klaus said they are second only to the fully tricked out Stratos'.  

For the first time since getting these in a week or so ago, I hooked them up to my MMG's (with Mye stands).  Whoa! It's a whole new speaker.

I'm pretty sure the MGIII's are larger and suck up even more juice (the MMG's are perfecto sized for my listening area)...but, wow, the speakers finally sound like I had hoped they would.  I don't know of any cheaper way to buy speakers that re-create full-scale orchestral (size that is, not staccato-like dynamics)They just love hi current is seems - and the Khartago 'stuffed-to-the-gills' Mono's have it in abundance   :)  

I wasn't nearly as enthused with the standard stereo Khartago (with upgraded board) on the MMG's...but it did just fine on my Linaeums.

bunky

« Reply #13 on: 4 Apr 2006, 09:19 am »
Quote from: TheChairGuy
Bunky, I think I got the preemo hot-rodded Khartago's here, too...Klaus said they are second only to the fully tricked out Stratos'.  

For the first time since getting these in a week or so ago, I hooked them up to my MMG's (with Mye stands).  Whoa! It's a whole new speaker.

I'm pretty sure the MGIII's are larger and suck up even more juice (the MMG's are perfecto sized for my listening area)...but, wow, the speakers finally sound like I had hoped they would.  I don't know of any cheaper way to buy s ...
Hey ChairGuy, i was using a 200wpc Rotel RB 1080 poweramplifier with a pair of Paradigm studio 100 v3s and Klaus told me that the 100 v3s thrive on High current. i was going to buy a Stratos Extreme version and Klaus recomended the Khartago monos instead. the difference in the Paradigms after hooking them up to the khartago monos was amazing.thanks....WCW III

NJBOB

Should be soon
« Reply #14 on: 5 Apr 2006, 08:16 pm »
I almost cant take it....I should have them by tomarrow....and be playing all weekend. I'm going to torture my sons with Music all weekend. I have been making Kimber cable 8 Jumpers for my Magie crossover to speakers in anticipation of getting my magies back from the factory. For this weekend it will be the Vandersteen 2cis for burn in...

TheChairGuy

Re: Should be soon
« Reply #15 on: 5 Apr 2006, 08:31 pm »
I almost cant take it....I should have them by tomarrow....and be playing all weekend. I'm going to torture my sons with Music all weekend. I have been making Kimber cable 8 Jumpers for my Magie crossover to speakers in anticipation of getting my magies back from the factory. For this weekend it will be the Vandersteen 2cis for burn in...

Hey Bob,

It's quite an experiecne when you get them.....but no where near the experience I understand they are after 5-6 weeks of break-in.  I think Klaus burns everything in for at least 24 hours, so they are beyond the 'awful' state, but they keep getting tastier over time.  I've got about a week on my Khartago Mono's now.

Don't be so sure that music coming from Odyssey's will be torture for your sons....... :wink:

TCG

NJBOB

To TCG- What amp did you replace
« Reply #16 on: 5 Apr 2006, 10:08 pm »
What was the amp you replaced

TheChairGuy

« Reply #17 on: 5 Apr 2006, 10:38 pm »
Khartago stereo unit, with board upgrade ($775 + $90 upgrade new).  It was well broken in, too.  :)

AC member 'Persiflage' now owns it , and is pairing it with Ellis 1801's.

NJBOB

Just got them
« Reply #18 on: 7 Apr 2006, 09:42 pm »
Took the day off and tracked down my local UPS guy. I plugged these bad boys in and right away herd that high end come out...I went out for a few hrs and now I just cracked them loose and I found out what a Good amp is supposed to do. I also learned what Dark meant. My BK was good but was dark compared to these. I cant belive how the snare and kick drums stand out....I will be breaking these in all weekend....

bunky

Re: Just got them
« Reply #19 on: 7 Apr 2006, 10:27 pm »
Took the day off and tracked down my local UPS guy. I plugged these bad boys in and right away herd that high end come out...I went out for a few hrs and now I just cracked them loose and I found out what a Good amp is supposed to do. I also learned what Dark meant. My BK was good but was dark compared to these. I cant belive how the snare and kick drums stand out....I will be breaking these in all weekend....
You aint heard nothing yet!just wait a few months