CD/DVD for $1500 system

mjohnson

CD/DVD for $1500 system
« on: 26 Nov 2005, 03:57 am »
I have ordered the $1500 system from Klaus (very pumped!) and would like to know what CD players or DVD players are best for this system.  I am fairly new with the high end lingo, but I'm intriqued by all the options available.  I did not realize that CD players could cost so much.  I see ads for cheapy Samsung players that will get get modded for $500 and be made to sound like $11K players.  Is this for real?  I currently have an old Sony that will have to suffice for the burn in, but I have a feeling that I'll want something better very soon.  I would prefer a DVD player for convenience, BUT, I bought the Odyssey primarily for music.  

Thanks for all replies.

BikeWNC

CD/DVD for $1500 system
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2005, 04:13 am »
Before anyone can offer an opinion, of which there will be many, how much $ do you want to spend?

bunky

Re: CD/DVD for $1500 system
« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2005, 04:41 am »
Quote from: mjohnson
I have ordered the $1500 system from Klaus (very pumped!) and would like to know what CD players or DVD players are best for this system.  I am fairly new with the high end lingo, but I'm intriqued by all the options available.  I did not realize that CD players could cost so much.  I see ads for cheapy Samsung players that will get get modded for $500 and be made to sound like $11K players.  Is this for real?  I currently have an old Sony that will have to suffice for the burn in, but I have a feeling that ...
Congradulations on the new system.BikeWNC is right in asking about what your price range will be. do you want a tube CD player ? upsampling perhaps ? or a basic CD player with a decent inboard DAC ? or do you want a transport with an outboard DAC ? if you throw out a price range that you are comfortable with you will get some good suggestions.thanks....WCW III

djbnh

CD/DVD for $1500 system
« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2005, 05:25 am »
Why not ask the man himself - Klaus? Let him know your limit, and see what he comes up with for a CDP for that system.

Brian

CD/DVD for $1500 system
« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2005, 11:16 am »
Hi

First of all, congrats on your new system. I hope you will be as happy with your Odyssey set-up as I am with my.

Not knowing your budget or if you want used or new, it is hard to help. But here goes. Sofar I have tried Rega planet, AH! Njoe Tjob (tube), Holfi and Music Hall cd25.2 in my system. The best sounding has been the AH! and the Rega, but the Music Hall is not very far off.

If you want a new cd, I would recommend that you try the Rega and the Music Hall. I know that there are others, but these 2 are IMO need-to-hear.

Brian

mjohnson

CD/DVD for $1500 system
« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2005, 12:00 pm »
I would like keep the CD player to under $700 or so.  I would consider buying used also.

I plan to consult with Klaus on this as well.  I just wanted some opinions from  others with thei personal experiences.

Thanks.

mjohnson

Re: CD/DVD for $1500 system
« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2005, 12:04 pm »
Quote from: bunky
Congradulations on the new system.BikeWNC is right in asking about what your price range will be. do you want a tube CD player ? upsampling perhaps ? or a basic CD player with a decent inboard DAC ? or do you want a transport with an outboard DAC ? if you throw out a price range that you are comfortable with you will get some good suggestions.thanks....WCW III

These are the areas in which I need help.  I am not familiar with the differences and advantages of the setups listed above.  I really want to keep it simple, reliable, and affordable.

jcoat007

CD/DVD for $1500 system
« Reply #7 on: 26 Nov 2005, 12:17 pm »
If this is still available, I would jump on this:  

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=23265&highlight=cd1

This was the first CD player that I purchased and I was very happy with it.  Plus, it comes with a nice set of tubes.

philltubes

CD/DVD for $1500 system
« Reply #8 on: 26 Nov 2005, 04:08 pm »
The recent Audiophile Voice mag reviewed the Pioneer DV-578A universal player and claims it is as good as anything on the market going for 10-20 times as much.  I have not tried it yet but plan to do so, it can be had for $99.00 off the net.  I am currently using an Eastern Electric tube CD player which is very good, more refined than the Jolida-100 IMO.  Good luck.  Phill

djbnh

CD/DVD for $1500 system
« Reply #9 on: 26 Nov 2005, 04:29 pm »
Quote from: philltubes
I am currently using an Eastern Electric tube CD player which is very good, more refined than the Jolida-100 IMO...  Phill
When you heard the JD-100, what was it using regarding: 1) tubes, 2) PC, and 3) damping? What was the EE Minimax using?

IMO - with the Sylvania Gold Label JHS 5751WA (even with GE JG 5751s), a cryoed VH Audio Flavor 1 or 4 PC, some no-low cost damping, and Walker SST treatment (tube pins, RCAs, ICs, IEC and PC male plugs), the JD-100 is quite refined. YMMV, esp. when one takes into account the effects of other components.

philltubes

CD/DVD for $1500 system
« Reply #10 on: 26 Nov 2005, 04:46 pm »
I used the 5751 GE Blackplates and some other NOS tubes in the JD-100, don't recall what the others were.  The Jolida was plugged directly into the wall as is the Eastern Electric.  The Jolida always had a fuzz or distortion clinging to the music, slight but still there, the Jolida could also become somewhat metalic regardless of tubes used.  The Eastern Electric even with stock tubes is more coherent with better detail and clean leading edges to notes.  These are just my observations for what they are worth but I have no urge to replace the EE player.

TjMV3

CD/DVD for $1500 system
« Reply #11 on: 26 Nov 2005, 06:24 pm »
Quote from: djbnh
I am currently using an Eastern Electric tube CD player which is very good, more refined than the Jolida-100 IMO...  Phill
When you heard the JD-100, what was it using regarding: 1) tubes, 2) PC, and 3) damping? What was the EE Minimax using?

IMO - with the Sylvania Gold Label JHS 5751WA (even with GE JG 5751s), a cryoed VH Audio Flavor 1 or 4 PC, some no-low cost damping, and Walker SST treatment (tube pins, RCAs, ICs, IEC and PC male plugs), the JD-100 is quite refined. YMMV, esp. when one takes into account the effects of other components.

Would you mind elaborating on the dampening?  What are you using?

Chris_B

CD/DVD for $1500 system
« Reply #12 on: 26 Nov 2005, 07:07 pm »
Have you considered a computer music server and something like the squeezbox?  There is a lot of discussion of it over in the Square Circle http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=46.

If I was starting, I would seriously consider a wireless music server with a decent offboard DAC.

bunky

CD/DVD for $1500 system
« Reply #13 on: 26 Nov 2005, 10:50 pm »
Quote from: Chris_B
Have you considered a computer music server and something like the squeezbox?  There is a lot of discussion of it over in the Square Circle http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=46.

If I was starting, I would seriously consider a wireless music server with a decent offboard DAC.
when i was at woodsyi,s house for the first Mid Atlantic Audiocircle gathering he had a stock SB 2 that sounded outstanding and for $700.00 you could buy the SB2 and a used DAC

mjohnson

CD/DVD for $1500 system
« Reply #14 on: 27 Nov 2005, 02:38 am »
I'm learning new things everyday on his site.  I had not even heard of a squeezebox until I came here.

I take it that a laptop with a wireless router 802.11g and a squeezebox is sufficient for a start?  

I have an ipod and have most of my CDs on iTunes.  Will iTunes work with the SB3?  

I'm not too technically inclined but I can read and follow instructions.  I'm reading that many find the SB3 easy to operate.  I am also seeing a lot of people having problems on their web site forum.

SB3 sounds very cool if it will work for me.  

I really appreciate everyone's information.

djbnh

CD/DVD for $1500 system
« Reply #15 on: 27 Nov 2005, 02:58 am »
Quote from: mjohnson
I have an ipod and have most of my CDs on iTunes.  Will iTunes work with the SB3?  

At the very least, go lossless, young Skywalker!

Jampot

CD/DVD for $1500 system
« Reply #16 on: 27 Nov 2005, 02:03 pm »
mjohnson wrote -

I take it that a laptop with a wireless router 802.11g and a squeezebox is sufficient for a start?

If there is only a laptop (or any pc with a wireless adapter) and squeezebox on the network is a router required? I understand that to connect moe than 2 devices will need a router but if the squeezebox supports p2p thats another complication avoided and money saved.

Anyone like to venture an opinion?

I will (eventually) learn how to quote from other posts.....

Jim

drphoto

CD/DVD for $1500 system
« Reply #17 on: 29 Nov 2005, 01:48 am »
Have you considered getting a hot rodded Squeezebox instead of a CDP?

People are saying these things sound great, and it's in your price range.

mjohnson

CD/DVD for $1500 system
« Reply #18 on: 29 Nov 2005, 02:15 am »
Quote from: drphoto
Have you considered getting a hot rodded Squeezebox instead of a CDP?

People are saying these things sound great, and it's in your price range.

I think I have decided to go this route.  I like the reviews I'm reading.  I worry about problems, but I guess I'll take my chances.  I'm pretty close to my tech guy at work and he said he'd help if needed.

I'm going to add an external HD and hopefully that is where I will place my music files.  

I think I'm going with the Redwine Audio mod.  It looks like it's going to take about a month, but I'll review it here when it arrives.  My Khartago should be broken in by then.   :D

TjMV3

CD/DVD for $1500 system
« Reply #19 on: 2 Dec 2005, 02:16 pm »
, the Jolida could also become somewhat metalic regardless of tubes used.

That's odd.  I've never heard anything resembling a metalic sound coming from my Jolida.  Also,  of all the Jolida CDP owners I have spoken to and all of the reviews I've read,  no one ever mentioned experiencing anything like that.  In fact, it's the exact opposite.  Almost to a man people talk about the smoothness,  the warmth,  the musicality and emotional element in the Jolida's presentation.  Certainly not the last word in resolution or detail,  but that's not what the Jolida is about.  

Do you have the stock Jolida or is it a MOD version?  

I also have the Eastern Electric Minimax CDP and I equally love it!  Great player!