Stereo Extreme or Mono?

tmhobbies

Stereo Extreme or Mono?
« on: 21 Jul 2005, 12:22 am »
I have a Stratos with cap upgrade but in order to drive my speakers to high volume levels I need more power. The Martin Logan ReQuest’s can really suck up the power. At low to medium volume it sounds ok. It also needs a tune up so I am going to send it back anyway.

So do I send the amp back and have the Extreme upgrade or do I save up my coins for the monoblocks? Or do I simply go for the Extreme monoblocks?

I would like to know if someone has compared duel mono's not extremes mind you to the stereo extreme. It has the same VA's but I am not sure what improvement the monos will bring
Thanks
Doug

audioslave

Stereo Extreme or Mono?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2005, 02:14 am »
I would not mod the stratos just yet personally-i.e extreme conversion. Rather, I would give the mono-blocks a try. They should be able to handle the ML's pretty well and give you the db's you crave. You can always try the extreme conversion later on.

pfradale

Spend once, spend wisely
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2005, 09:31 am »
For whatever a stranger's opinion on the internet is worth, I think it is usually better financially to simply get the best you can, regardless of what it is, rather than upgrade again and again, since most people I've known that have gone incrementally have always wound up with the high-end, but only after dropping much coin in the process.  Go for the mono extremes.

pugs

Re: Spend once, spend wisely
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2005, 09:41 am »
Quote from: pfradale
For whatever a stranger's opinion on the internet is worth, I think it is usually better financially to simply get the best you can, regardless of what it is, rather than upgrade again and again, since most people I've known that have gone incrementally have always wound up with the high-end, but only after dropping much coin in the process.  Go for the mono extremes.

I agree.  They're not easy nor cheap to ship.  Do it right the first time.

djbnh

Stereo Extreme or Mono?
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2005, 10:58 am »
I had a Stratos (w/cap upgrade) and recently upgraded to the Extreme monos; I had considered moving up to the regular monos. The choice stretched my budget a bit, but in retrospect the Extremes seem well worth it.

Also, I second consideration about the shipping costs to send the monos in to be converted to Extremes. If you consider that cost, it seems less of a price difference between purchasing reg. monos v. Extreme monos.

[Edit: in case I've caused any confusion, I clarify that I went with two  Extremes, i.e, I did not have the Stratos upgraded.]

byteme

Stereo Extreme or Mono?
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2005, 04:42 pm »
Quote from: djbnh
I had a Stratos (w/cap upgrade) and recently upgraded to the Extreme monos; I had considered moving up to the regular monos. The choice stretched my budget a bit, but in retrospect the Extremes seem well worth it.

Also, I second consideration about the shipping costs to send the monos in to be converted to Extremes. If you consider that cost, it seems less of a price difference between purchasing reg. monos v. Extreme monos.

I recently did almost the same, I had a Stereo Extreme (old board) that I sent to Klaus to upgrade to a mono extreme (red board) and had him make me another mono extreme.  Great move!  More control, more realizm, more bass, more clarity, more music!!  Give Klaus a call, I'm sure you'll be able to work something out with him price wise!  Get the Extreme monos, and be happy!

bunky

Stereo Extreme or Mono?
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2005, 06:47 pm »
i feel it is worth the extra bucks to get the mono extremes they are odysseys flagship amplifiers and you will not be disappointed. i know that i will not part with mine! these amps will power any loudspeaker you are likely to encounter. good luck on your upgrade path.      sincerly      william c waldecker 3rd

W.C.

Stereo Extreme or Mono?
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2005, 09:01 pm »
I've heard Klaus say that the Stereo Extreme is equal to about 85% of the regular Mono's. If you can swing it, I'd go for the Mono Extreme's.

Randy

mono extremes
« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 2005, 10:27 pm »
As a long time audiophile (I guess I 'm one) the mono extremes have been the best money I've ever spent in audio.  No doubts about this component.  It is superb.  You can't go wrong with them.  They are big, however, so you need some space.

KarlDL

Stereo Extreme or Mono?
« Reply #9 on: 22 Jul 2005, 02:11 am »
Success with "difficult" speakers necessitates a "stiff" power supply in the amplifier.  Monoblocks get you closer, but Extreme Monos are at least twice again as effective.  If you can afford it, go "all the way" and don't look back.  

My path was stereo plus to stereo extreme to mono extreme.  I have compared each step directly (with the help of another Odysseyphile here in suburban Chicagoland) and the differences are not in doubt.  And I have "easy-to-drive" speakers that work well with tube amps!

tmhobbies

Stereo Extreme or Mono?
« Reply #10 on: 22 Jul 2005, 03:04 am »
Thanks for the reply’s

I was going to send the Stratos in for a check up anyway and have the extreme mod done for a stereo two channel amp. That is when I though about doing the Stratos monos rather then the extremes.

After reading your posts it looks like I will do the extreme monos. . I will try and get buy with the Stereo Stratos Extreme if you can call it getting by until I save up my coins for the second amp.

The amps are monsters with a capitol M.  They dwarf anything in my system Time to build a new rack and make room for one more stuff.

I am now in the process of installing a dedicated power main to try and get rid of any voltage drop I now see as I crank up the amp. Pulling in #10/3 with isolated ground with two 20 amp circuits on the same phase. That should be enough I would think.

If you have a different ideas please let me know

Thanks again
Doug

speedcenter

• http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio
Stereo Extreme or Mono?
« Reply #11 on: 22 Jul 2005, 02:47 pm »
Quote from: audioslave
I would not mod the stratos just yet personally-i.e extreme conversion. Rather, I would give the mono-blocks a try. They should be able to handle the ML's pretty well and give you the db's you crave. You can always try the extreme conversion later on.

If these Logans are anything like my Magnepan 3.5R's (down to 2.5 ohms in the woofers and very inefficient overall), you'll want to save for the Mono Extremes. I blew quite a number of tweeter fuses and one full tweeter ribbon due to clipping with the standard monos before upgrading to the Extreme Monos. That was over 18 months ago. Since then, no more fuses blown. If fact, the amps have handled the speakers with such ease that I have fully removed all fuses from the speakers without suffering any additional driver damage.

My original plan to biamp with two pairs of the Extreme Monos has been shelved due to the unexpected performance of the upgraded amps. The improvement over stock monos was quite dramatic.  

Peter

F-100

Re: Stereo Extreme or Mono?
« Reply #12 on: 22 Jul 2005, 05:17 pm »
Quote from: tmhobbies

After reading your posts it looks like I will do the extreme monos...

Excellent choice. :thumb:
I started out with a standard Stratos, then upgraded to a Dual Stratos and finally to the Extreme Monos and very happy with all of them.

tmhobbies

speaker loads
« Reply #13 on: 22 Jul 2005, 05:41 pm »
The Martin Logan ReQuest have a nominal of 4 ohm and a minimum of 1.2 ohms. Almost a dead shrot. They will suck up the juice thats for sure. The amp I was using must have had a current limiting circut because they never did clip.
doug

W.C.

Stereo Extreme or Mono?
« Reply #14 on: 22 Jul 2005, 07:32 pm »
I used to run my Kappa 9's which dip down to .8 ohms with a regular pair of mono's and had no problems at all with blowing fuses. Now I run 4 mono's and an active crossover and they sound even better. :P

John151

Stereo Extreme or Mono?
« Reply #15 on: 22 Jul 2005, 07:33 pm »
I have a Stereo extreme, and an HT-3 (for center and rears).  While my stereo stratos was in for the extreme upgrade, the HT3 was powering the L & R.  Certain CDs would would overload the HT-3, causing it to shut down briefly when the going got tough.  The stratos never had this problem, and after the Extreme upgrade it appears to handle these difficult passages even better.

My long term plan is to upgrade to monos, having the amps near the speaker, running the ICs approx 25' thru the walls/ceiling.

Anyone have any advice on good, but affordable, ICs for long runs?

rosconey

Stereo Extreme or Mono?
« Reply #16 on: 22 Jul 2005, 09:13 pm »
you can weld with extreme monos if you want -

klaus told me about a ex mono at the montreal show this year with a shorted cable-he never noticed till after the show-amp just kept playing :o